Menu

Do you do daily lists for yourself?

If so what does it look like?

I was just curious as to what people put on their list to do on a daily basis.

My neighbor makes a list of things that she has to do daily. Her house is SPOTLESS all the time, yet she does not go to bed until 11 or 12 at night.

I know she doesn't have to clean all the time.

I can clean mine spotless,even drawers and closets in about 5hrs. As long as I stay on it, it doesn't take that long to clean!

I do, because I like to cross things off. I have a FlyLady system, with lists to do daily, weekly, and monthly. All in plastic page-protectors so I can cross them off with a dry-erase marker and then reuse them the next day. On the "daily" sheet I also write with the dry erase marker anything that needs to get done. I write it all out right before I go to bed, and add things as the day goes on.

My house is NOT spotless, but I find that I feel so much more relaxed and organized when I keep this list.

Sheesh if I cleaned my house spotless ( closets and drawers) it would take me longer than 5 hours. Especially if this cleaning included cleaning outside and the garages.

I need to make myself a daily list. There are times my house is a wreck and I just dont feel like getting it cleaned up... or those times I'm on homeschooling forums all day lol. I think a list would keep me on track.

My today list (Different than the ongoing "to-do" list)

Put away clothes

organize desk-sort paperwork

Make OB appt

Make cabin reservation

Enter phone #s into cell

Vacuum termite poop off of master bed (ewww, sorry but it's on there)

Sweep and vacuum

Make sign up sheet for upcoming fund-raiser

Make and print idea list for upcoming deployment.

I have an ongoing to-do list, but I make a daily list in the morning when I have my coffee before the kids get up.

Jo

I used to do daily To-Do lists for myself, but I have gotten out of the habit lately. I have been thinking I need to start it back up again - I am much happier and more productive when I can check things off a list.

I wrote the list on a large Post-It every night for the next day. It included daily things to do (clean kitchen counter, laundry, etc.), weekly things for that day (meal plan, errands, etc.), and anything else I wanted to get done that day. (Making a mental note to myself to start writing lists again...)

I have a master schedule with each child and his chores for the day. I also have a weekly/monthly/yearly schedule for the whole family. It really helps keep me on track!

Today -

Me - Clean 2 bathrooms

Child 1 - mop kitchen

Child 2 - mop under dining room table

Child 3 - mop under kitchen table

Now, there are other things that need to be done that get added later:

Call vacation place and change reservation

pick up prescription

email babysitter

sign kids up for karate summer camps

Good luck finding your system!

I write things I need to remember in my calendar, but usually just because I like crossing things off when they are done :) Sad, but true. I do love a good list - I have a list for groceries, I have a list of "to do" that day, I have a list of school projects that are on-going, etc. But my house is not spotless and once the kids are in bed I stop working for the night :)

I did...well, I DO, but....

I've been really doing poorly and so have a very basic tasks list of 11 things (basic things like eating, showering, medication, one chore, laundry) to check off (I'm using mini-stickers).

I just do better with a visual. Hopefully I'll be on my way to awesome things soon. My chores have been deep cleaning type things. I've actually enjoyed it. But I have teens that can take care of basic chores.

Hope this doesn't make me sound like a complete idiot. SOmetimes we just have to do things differently I guess.

I have a planner I keep on my desk. I use it for my to do list and to make notes I need to keep. I used to be really organized and make my list the night before, but now I tend to write it down early in the morning.

I'm the type of person that has to write things down, otherwise I'll forget.

If so what does it look like?

Well, now I couldn't tell you what it looks like, because it's different every day. :)

I honestly think this is a personality thing. Some folks have brains that let them just do the next thing, some have to write down a list to keep from getting overwhelmed (that would be me).

If I sit and just try to think of what to do, the enormity of all that *could* be done, or really *needs* to be done will overwhelm or distract me. I have to purposefully choose a number of things to do, and accomplish just those. Or, keep a running list and choose a certain number each day.

It might have two or three chores, for me *and* the kids, a few things that I need to remember to get at the store the next time I go, and something that needs to get done that's fallen to the wayside for several days.

But it has to be kept short. And do-able.

I have a white board in the kitchen -

I don't use it during the week, but I do put a big "to-do" list on there on Saturdays. I can get so unfocused on Saturdays, especially when we have a free day, that if I see a concrete list it helps me to get it done!

I have my To-do Lists online at www.tadalist.com. It is free and really easy to use. I just love the satisfaction I get from checking off boxes! I don't have a daily To-Do list, but I have several lists: cleaning, errands, organizing, desk. I try to get one or two things accomplished each day...I'm 34 weeks pregnant and not feeling so great. Whenever I notice something that needs to be done, I just add it to the list. This system is keeping me sane right now.

Susan in TX

I do because I feel like I forget so much when I don't. I used to be a nutty planner, things scoped out months, even years ahead. Now I stick with a week at a time. And a couple calendars to keep up with classes, pet needs and birthdays. But I've given up on the long range stuff. :tongue_smilie: