Menu

I need a math workbook

Athena

What are some inexpensive math workbooks? You think I would know after having hsed this long but I have never actually used one!

I looked at Abeka but they have so much STUFF to go with it. The same with Bob Jones. I have 3 kids and a tight budget.

I did think about using Ray's Arithmetic (i already own it) as a spine and printing worksheets as needed but it seemed too time consuming.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Christy

Sams has workbooks like the pp mentioned. Our local teachers supply store sells a lot of workbooks for around 10-12 dollars each. I'd just buy Abeka or Horizons workbooks and not get the teachers manuals.

For the price, Horizons is a very good choice. It's not much more than a Wal-mart workbook and it covers all the major topics. Both of my kids love the color pages and it's pretty painless to get them to do math. I use them when we're on the run and can't do a whole R&S lesson.

Barnes and Noble carries Flashkids workbooks. They have them in a variety of subjects, including math. With the educators discount they are around 5.00 each or less.

We have used flashkids for phonics and reading and enjoyed them.

:iagree: I really like this program and it is cheap :)

I hafta come down on the A Beka program for a math workbook. It is just a great selection of daily work w/o doing the same 25 problems over and over.

You don't need the "whole" program, but i would recommend a teacher manual, answer key [just makes checking faster!], and some manipulatives.

Skip the tests and drills!

I bought the teacher manuals used for about $20 a piece, but you can resell them for that amount, giving you basically the use of the TM for free :)

and if you use the same tm for the younger grades, that's even better!

I really like the TM for the younger grades --they include a LOT of great ideas, problem areas most kids run into, and games. If you look for the homeschool version that makes it even better :)

Math manipulatives can be substituted: cheerios, m&m's, apples and oranges, hershey chocolate bars, beads, etc. There's probably a website somewhere that gives a comprehensive list of handy household manipulatives for almost any topic, lol. We use craft popsicle sticks bundles w/ rubber bands for place value, but if you can get a set of base ten blocks used those are great. Strips of paper w/ dots work well too. Any workbook you get will be enhanced w/ some decent manipulative work. Try checking out Janice Van Cleave's "play and find out about math" book from the library.

good luck!