Menu

Questions about UTIs

So, I went in today for my 'annual' and they do a routine urine check. Surprise! I had blood in my urine. So, taking a round of cipro. I've had some minor symptoms of a UTI, but at 46, I just figured my bladder was joining everything else, heading to he11 in a handbag, ya' know?!

So, I've had these symptoms for about a year now. And I actually had a full-blown pain when you pee UTI last July. Took a round of cipro then, and the symptoms went away for a while, but I guess gradually came back.

So, is it possible to have a low-grade UTI and never realize that you have one? Should I be alarmed or concerned? And are there any ways to prevent them, besides the basic hygeine thing? DH told me yesterday that he really should have checked my teeth before he married me (horse humor, I think!)

Cin, I would strongly recommend you look into D-Mannose. From what I have read, it is a type of sugar and it has no side effects. It goes into the bladder and attaches itself to the bad ecoli bacteria that are clinging to the wall of your bladder, making them so slippery that they slide right out instead of hanging out there to build up and cause problems. You can take it right now along with the Cipro to help get rid of the current UTI. I have taken high doses of d-mannose (2 capsules 5-6 times per day) instead of antibiotics and successfully cured a UTI. I seriously felt symptom improvement within hours, and was completely fine within 3 days. Now I just take one capsule 1-2 times per week as a preventative/general urinary health thing. In your situation, especially with a stealth UTI history, and them not responding to Cipro, I would begin taking one daily from now.

The only caveat I can think of is that if it is not ecoli (~95% of UTIs are ecoli, so ~5% are NOT ecoli), or if there is a physical issue causing it, then D-mannose may not help since its role is just swooshing ecoli out. But as far as I know, it doesn't hurt anything either so it may be worth a try.

I'm not a doctor, that's just what I would personally do. Of course you'll want to do your own research! :) If you're interested in finding d-mannose right away, I used the NOW brand initially since that's what I could find locally (at a grocery/health food co-op). It was about $29 if I recall correctly. Since then I order from Swanson Vitamins since the price is much better and as far as I know, there is not a difference between various brands. After that one incident, I will *always* keep d-mannose on hand. I HATE UTIs!!!

Naturally, you'll also want to eat healthy foods, take a probiotic, drink TONS of water, get lots of rest, etc. All that good stuff!

Perhaps you should check his "teeth". A friend had the same problem a few years ago and it turned out that her dh was harboring bacteria and "reintroducing" it after the antibiotics. Don't know if this is the case, but if it doesn't stop soon it could be worth checking out.

Just wanted to add my experience. We tried D-mannose with our daughter and unfortunately it did not help. She has always had e-coli uti's and we were really hoping this was going to be a good alternative to antibiotics. Of course she is a child, age 6 and does have reflux. So it could be entirely different with an adult. However the urologist did say that the reflux is not what causes her utis - just makes it more dangerous for her kidneys.

Also, was wondering if they actually cultured your urine and confirmed a UTI. There are other things that can cause blood in urine, and other symptoms, like kidney stones etc. Hope you feel better soon.

So, I went in today for my 'annual' and they do a routine urine check. Surprise! I had blood in my urine. So, taking a round of cipro. I've had some minor symptoms of a UTI, but at 46, I just figured my bladder was joining everything else, heading to he11 in a handbag, ya' know?!

So, I've had these symptoms for about a year now. And I actually had a full-blown pain when you pee UTI last July. Took a round of cipro then, and the symptoms went away for a while, but I guess gradually came back.

So, is it possible to have a low-grade UTI and never realize that you have one? Should I be alarmed or concerned? And are there any ways to prevent them, besides the basic hygeine thing? DH told me yesterday that he really should have checked my teeth before he married me (horse humor, I think!)

I'm no doctor but based on experience:

1) It is often a good idea to repeat the urine lab work shortly after completing a round of antibiotics. Sometimes they just don't get it the 1st time.

2) Yes, you can have a UTI with no obvious symptoms and/or no severe pain. You need to learn what symptoms you experience.

3) If you think you have had it for a long time you might ask the doc if you need to consider having the lab work done to make sure your kidneys are ok. For folks with kidney reflux this can be an issue. Some folks do make it to being adults without being diagnosed. But don't panic-more a case of covering your bases.

4) Lots of folks swear by cranberry juice-the purer the better.

Finally-feel better soon!

Can I strongly caution against Cipro? I thought I was having side effects from my recent surgery, but I just finished my Cipro from a UTI and I have bad neurological effects starting. Tremors, depression, anxiety, memory loss. I would urge your doc to do a urine culture to find the best possible abx, u/s of your bladder if it's been that long, and check for prolapse.

Yes, like others have said, it's possible to have the UTI w/o the typical symptoms. That's one reason caregivers screen pregnant women at every visit, whether or not they have symptoms.

I also think if you have them repeatedly, you should talk to your hubby about getting checked.

The cranberry pills work well for me. I didn't like the juice, but the pills were fine.

Basic hygiene should include you voiding your bladder after intercourse (sorry if you already know this!), wiping front to back, and avoiding constipation (the fecal bacteria can travel and give you an infection). That's all so awkward to say, but since I don't have to look you in the eye, I can do it! ;)

Don't forget your probiotics, kefir, (whatever) while you're on the antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon!

You bet you can (have infections you don't recognize).

You should INSIST having another culture done when you are finishing up the ABX to be sure this round of cipro cleared it.

Also, in the future, INSIST on having a "culture and sensitivity" done PRIOR to starting the ABX. This will make sure your infection is not resistant to the ABX prescribed. It will take a couple days to get the results, but the doctor can start you on one AB first, then change it if your culture comes back showing your infection is not sensitive to the first like AB. It is too late to do these tests once you start your AB. So, you have to INSIST at the first appt.

My family members and I have had many resistant infections (DXed via C&S, also through 'bounce back' infections that seem to get better with AB, but recur right away. . .), and I learned to insist of C&S always for any infections that seem to recur more than once in 5 years. I can't tell you how many friends and family have had resistant infections DXed due to my hassling them to insist on C&S before once again going on AB for their recurring infections.

FWIW, I find that pushing lots of fluids, and including real cranberry juice (especially Northland brand) in my diet really, really helps prevent UTIs and can even ward off one if I feel it coming on.

((hugs)) Feel well.

Did the dr. run a culture or just prescribe an anti-biotic because you had blood in your urine? :001_huh: Blood in the urine can be caused by lots of things other than a UTI. Also bacteria can be present without causing an illness. I wouldn't take an anti-biotic based solely on the presence of bacteria. And finally, as a pp mentioned even if you did have a UTI that doesn't mean that the anti-biotic you were prescribed will necessarily work for that infection. I would be asking the dr. more questions.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to hit the health food store today and buy some cranberry pills, and also look into the d-manoose stuff (I know that's all spelled wrong!).

The teeth thing, I guess I should explain just a bit; last week I was told that I have a pinched nerve, and severe (for my age) scoliosis in my neck, and 2 vertebrae are literally sitting on top of each other. The Dr. told me that since I'm so young, I'm almost certain to have surgery on it. Last year I had knee surgery AND gallbladder surgery. So if I were a horse, I'd be dead LONG ago. :tongue_smilie:

Cin,

please get further testing as other posters have mentioned. my mom had blood in her urine as her only symptom of a large kidney tumor. it is most likely that you do actually have an infection. however, if possible, get a c&s done once you are done w/antibiotics to see if the infection is clear. also, get a regular urinalysis to see if there is still blood present. if there is still blood in your urine, please pursue it with further testing (a CT scan and cystourethrogram).

:grouphug:

LMK