Menu

question for food allergy moms...

My 2 yo ds has a peanut allergy. His allergist said he had one of the two worst skin test reactions he had seen. No one else in the family has any food allergies. I think he had an allergic reaction today by quickly walking through (not touching anything!!) an area were peanut butter was used 1.5 hours earlier. There were no traces of peanut butter left anywhere. He simply walked through the area and within seconds his eye was swollen shut and he was coughing. Is that even possible??? I'm scared now.

There were no traces of peanut butter left anywhere.

That just cannot be known. Peanut butter leaves unseen traces that pose a risk up to 6 months after it was originally cleaned. Let me see if I can find the research online. It's been a while since I've seen it.

(some time later...) Nope, can't find it. There's just too many pages coming up with the keywords I'm using.

Well, found *a* link, but it's not the research itself, and it doesn't say where it got its information.

http://www.canadianparents.com/article/living-with-a-peanut-allergy

Because peanut residue can last on a surface that has been cleaned for up to six months, there is always a chance that you may come in contact with it, in say, a playground.

And here's another one:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/watch_that_peanut_butter.htm

Allergic children may break out in hives if they so much as kiss someone who has eaten a peanut or if they merely touch a surface -- like a table or doorknob -- where peanuts or peanut butter have been. Peanut protein survives for six months.
Edited by CleoQc

Yes. Absolutely possible.

First - think of glitter, and how difficult it is to clean up. We wash and wash our hands and still find traces... peanut butter can be a bit like that. Very difficult to remove all traces.

And - inhalation reactions can be just as bad as ingestion. Your son may have simply breathed in a tiny particle, then ingested that particle... That's all it takes, for someone who is very allergic.

Keep your benadryl and epipen on hand, and don't ever hesitate to use them. Err on the side of caution.

My son went into ana in a Hershey store last summer. He had touched *nothing* ... eaten *nothing* ... we were being extremely cautious, knowing that there were products containing his allergens in the store. It was frightening, and we are fortunate that he was okay.

Sure it is possible, but I would guess, more likely that he touched something that had unseen traces on it.

I have a friend, whose dd, has severe reactions to PB. She either wears gloves when ever she is going in public or uses the outside of her sleeve to open doors, push in chairs, or to hold a pen that wasn't hers.

When she was little, she was always dressed from head, to finger tips, to shoes. ALWAYS, unless they were home.

With a toddler, they may have tripped a bit and touched the spot on the ground where something was dropped.

It would be impossible to figure it out after the fact. Even schools that are supposed to be peanut free, aren't necessarily. People forget....or eat the PB before they get there and don't wash their hands.

Thanks for the hugs. I knew the danger of touching or consuming, but I really didn't think breathing air that had peanut butter 1.5 hours earlier could do that. Its just now hitting me how serious this is.

You carry an epi-pen- yes? Also, Benadryl? Those two things have saved ds's life a couple times.

Yep. We have a few pens and benadryl on hand all the time. I gave him the Benadryl and the swelling went down pretty quickly--it didn't go away but it went down.

I just really didn't think that it would get this bad so I haven't been too upset about it. Until now.

Well, found *a* link, but it's not the research itself, and it doesn't say where it got its information.

http://www.canadianparents.com/article/living-with-a-peanut-allergy

And here's another one:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/watch_that_peanut_butter.htm

thank you so much for the information. I will read it right now. I really appreciate your time.

My 13 yr old has a peanut allergy. When he was 5, a teacher in church MADE him make a bird feeder smothered in peanut butter even though he told her he couldnt even touch the stuff. Nonsense, she told him. About a half hour later he is swelling up. Thankfully I was nearby and stuffed benedryl into him. Boy was I mad. This lady was a nurse who thought she knew better than everyone. She learned a lesson that day. I agree that you should have an epi pen handy. We have trained our children to never mix peanut butter into the jelly....a separate utensil is always used. Also, watch going to ice cream bars....servers usually use one scooper for all of the flavors. My son is probably out growing his allergy as we've noticed less severe reactions.

Yes, it is possible. I'm sorry.

And do pay attention to foods that state they are made in a plant that also processed peanuts, even if the food you are eating has no peanuts as ingredients. My dd has a peanut allergy. Sometimes she would eat a Hershey bar (no peanuts involved) and have a reaction, and other times, no reaction. We toured a Hershey factory and discovered why. Hershey separates out the candies that are not perfect (incorrectly shaped, wrapped wrong, etc.). They then 'recycle' the chocolate by cleaning it and removing the fillings, nuts, etc. and using the chocolate again to make new candy bars. So it is possible that there is some remnant of peanut in the chocolate used to make a plain Hershey bar or kiss or whatever.

Oils, like peanut oil, can stay around for a long time, even though you can't see it. Think of it like pollen. You can't see it, but it is still there, and you can breathe it. A severe peanut allergy can cause a reaction just by your ds breathing any peanut residue.

Hugs, allergies are SO tough to deal with. My children aren't highly allergic to peanuts but they are highly allergic to gluten. I don't know what they will do when they need to start shopping! Maybe wear a mask :S? I can't take them to a grocery store or most restaurants. It is highly frustrating.. all that to say that yes! Things can hand around and become pervasive. For us even taking them in a grocery store, the DD gets a migraine, the ODS starts throwing up and his eyes swell, and the MDS has an asthma attack... all from the flour in the air from the bakery! Or heaven forbid someone have a bag of flour around us :glare:

I wish you the best, be sure to keep your epi pen handy, and wash, wash, wash when you are around them or even suspect you might have been. For us, I go shopping and then come home and immediately have to shower. It's a pita but it works.

Mary

Keep your benadryl and epipen on hand, and don't ever hesitate to use them. Err on the side of caution.

He just started seeing an allergist who I really like, but I just don't feel truly informed yet. At the time, I didn't know if I was dealing with a benadryl reaction or an epipen reaction.

I am scared I might not make the right decision. This didn't seem to affect his breathing so I decided on benedryl. I am even more nervous because I understand that peanut allergies are particularly bad for kids with asthma and it looks like he may end up having asthma (although the doctor said he doesn't really diagnose until a little older).

And do pay attention to foods that state they are made in a plant that also processed peanuts, even if the food you are eating has no peanuts as ingredients. My dd has a peanut allergy. Sometimes she would eat a Hershey bar (no peanuts involved) and have a reaction, and other times, no reaction. We toured a Hershey factory and discovered why. Hershey separates out the candies that are not perfect (incorrectly shaped, wrapped wrong, etc.). They then 'recycle' the chocolate by cleaning it and removing the fillings, nuts, etc. and using the chocolate again to make new candy bars. So it is possible that there is some remnant of peanut in the chocolate used to make a plain Hershey bar or kiss or whatever.

Thank you so much for this info. You just explained something to me that I never understood. He has had Hersheys in the past and never had a reaction. But, now going forward I will not let him have it.

Hugs, allergies are SO tough to deal with. My children aren't highly allergic to peanuts but they are highly allergic to gluten. I don't know what they will do when they need to start shopping! Maybe wear a mask :S? I can't take them to a grocery store or most restaurants. It is highly frustrating.. all that to say that yes! Things can hand around and become pervasive. For us even taking them in a grocery store, the DD gets a migraine, the ODS starts throwing up and his eyes swell, and the MDS has an asthma attack... all from the flour in the air from the bakery! Or heaven forbid someone have a bag of flour around us

I wish you the best, be sure to keep your epi pen handy, and wash, wash, wash when you are around them or even suspect you might have been. For us, I go shopping and then come home and immediately have to shower. It's a pita but it works.

Mary

:grouphug:

He just started seeing an allergist who I really like, but I just don't feel truly informed yet. At the time, I didn't know if I was dealing with a benadryl reaction or an epipen reaction.

I am scared I might not make the right decision. This didn't seem to affect his breathing so I decided on benedryl. I am even more nervous because I understand that peanut allergies are particularly bad for kids with asthma and it looks like he may end up having asthma (although the doctor said he doesn't really diagnose until a little older).

:grouphug: I hope your guy is doing well now. I have a peanut allergic kiddo (walnut, too.) I know how hard it is.

About not knowing whether to use the epi-pen, our allergist told us that if breathing is affected, definitely use the epi-pen. If *two* systems are affected (like skin and digestive, say) then probably you should use it. Of course, you should ask your own doctor about his or her opinion on that.

We're dealing with a homeschool class with a mom who knows about our son's allergy and still sends in foods. Trying to write an email to the director of the program and deal with it. I'm still coming off of the frustration and anger.

Allergies suck.

Advice:

• Get the Epi 2-pack. One may not be enough.
  • PRACTICE with the trainer. When I had to give my son the Epi, I didn't hit hard enough to trigger the pen. It was only through the practice I'd done that I knew there should have been a "click" that I didn't hear. The practice had me re-do the injection so my son actually got the medicine.
  • Practice with the trainer on someone else. It's a different muscle motion to inject someone else rather than to inject yourself.
  • Read labels; ask questions; don't trust ANYONE who doesn't really understand the allergy. (In my case, that meant my parents for a time. I think they get it now though.)

Resources:

Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network

I've signed up to get alerts when there's a food recall or a notice of contaminants. I think it's through this site but I'm not sure.

Reading books helps me understand the allergies better. Surprisingly, Food Allergies for Dummies has been the best one I've read (and I loathe the "For Dummies" titles).

It will get easier in some ways with time. You'll get more comfortable with your restrictions. Watch that you don't get complacent. And then sometimes you get gobsmacked all over again. (Right now I'm really hating this other mom who's making my son unsafe.)

Thank you so much for this info. You just explained something to me that I never understood. He has had Hersheys in the past and never had a reaction. But, now going forward I will not let him have it.

I am confused since I was under the impression that some Hershey products are safe and others are not. I better investigate this again re: Hersheys. The last time I checked their web site a couple of years ago I recall them saying that they actually do have some separate facilities which is why I gathered that sometimes their candy bars and kisses do not have the disclaimers of the made in facilities.

I always look for the ingredients and the made in a facility statements every single time with every single food item or ingredient. I have found frozen peas and shredded cheese with the made in a facility with peanuts/nuts:001_huh:.

I also recommend not eating any tree nuts as well since there is often cross contamination issues with peanuts:(

I also make sure the dual pack of epi-pens and melt-a-way benadryl strips are on our person when out of the house at all times or in the same room with us at all times in a designated spot. Check with your doctor about dose of benadryl and if melt-a-way strips (not the tablets) which dissolve on the tongue and come in 12.5 mg and 25 mg doses are ok. I think they are the safest but can be tricky to find sometimes but a pharmacist can special order. I find that CVS usually has them.

I recommend not eating homemade food prepared by others at all unless it is a close family member trained in checking every single ingredient and in preventing cross contamination.

Also, I recommend rarely eating out and never eating at chinese or asian restaurants.

I also recommend always having a safe snack/food for ds and assuming that there will not be safe food for him. For birthdays/parties I bring a cupcake for ds. Bakery goods are generally not safe.

Make sure all family members know the signs of anaphylaxis and are trained how to give an epi-pen and benadryl.

Train ds when he is older to check all ingredients and these rules. Train ds when older how to carry epi-pens and benadryl at all times when out and put in designated area in same room when in. When old enough train how to give epi-pen, benadryl. I have not trained ds yet how to give epi-pen yet but will in a couple of years.

Train ds to wash hands before and after eating. Train ds not to eat food offered by others and to only take food from you and other designated persons. I remind ds of this everyday before school. Ds is to only eat food from his lunch bag or his safe snack bag period. When we go to parties I remind him only to eat food offered by me that I have brought for him.

Read this site carefully:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

Edited by priscilla

Thanks so much for the information. I am putting it all in a file and am going to create an action plan for our family. He is not usually out of my sight except for one hour at Sunday school. But, as he gets older that will surely change. So will start training him now. I just bought him a little backpack to carry his medicine and snack in. This is hard for me because I have always been very relaxed. The doctor said that we will have to become "pleasantly neurotic" when dealing with others.

always look for the ingredients and the made in a facility statements every single time with every single food item or ingredient. I have found frozen peas and shredded cheese with the made in a facility with peanuts/nuts.

I appreciate this reminder. He has had many foods before with these statements, but because he had not reacted I could see myself getting relaxed about it. But, just because he did not react last time doesn't mean he won't react this time.

I know its not the end of the world, but it really is great to talk to others who can understand. I appreciate all of you and the time that you have taken to respond.

Edited by Laurel T.

I am confused since I was under the impression that some Hershey products are safe and others are not. I better investigate this again re: Hersheys.

Same here. The kids do take Hershey Kisses, so far so good. I did a quick online search, and it seems they are still safe. Not all Hershey chocolates are.

Thankfully, in Canada, we have other choices, clearly marked as peanut-safe!

Thankfully, in Canada, we have other choices, clearly marked as peanut-safe!

We have a long way to go here. My little guy loves dried cranberries. I just checked out the label and had to say "no." I hope that there are other safe brands available, but maybe not.

Thanks so much for the information. I am putting it all in a file and am going to create an action plan for our family. He is not usually out of my sight except for one hour at Sunday school. But, as he gets older that will surely change. So will start training him now. I just bought him a little backpack to carry his medicine and snack in. This is hard for me because I have always been very relaxed. The doctor said that we will have to become "pleasantly neurotic" when dealing with others.

I appreciate this reminder. He has had many foods before with these statements, but because he had not reacted I could see myself getting relaxed about it. But, just because he did not react last time doesn't mean he won't react this time.

I know its not the end of the world, but it really is great to talk to others who can understand. I appreciate all of you and the time that you have taken to respond.

They did a study on these made in a facility foods and found about 13% of the time these foods were contaminated enough to cause a reaction:( We do not partake of these foods.

We also do not eat any peanut oil. I just found a bag of Utz chips that weremade with peanut oil yet the allergen statement did not mention peanuts:glare: It was a wake up call to me to check all ingredients and not just the allergen list.

As for the giving the epi-pen our allergist said anything more than a simple skin reaction of some hives requires the epi-pen. He said the danger is in not giving the epi-pen soon enough when needed rather than giving the epi-pen when not needed.

I asked because I was afraid that someone might give when not needed but he said when in doubt give it and call 911. Epinephrine is a natural hormone in our bodies and is used safely in many emergencies. In fact, I accidently gave it to myself when I was showing the trainer:001_huh::blushing: It just felt like I drank 10 cups of coffee since it is the flight or fright or hormone;)