Menu

Math Teachers or Profs, I need your thoughts on a tact issue

At school this week (and who knows how long) I'm in for an Alg 2 teacher whose wife had a premature baby. This is not necessarily related except that it's why the whole thing has come up.

In two days I'm giving the class a practice test that includes this question:

A football player kicks a football. When he kicks it, it is 1 foot off the ground. One second after he kicks it it is 20 feet off the ground. Four seconds after he kicks it it is 35 feet off the ground. Write the equation of the parabola, find how high it goes and how long until it hits the ground.

I didn't have a key for the whole practice test, so I went to another Alg 2 teacher to get one (laziness in not wanting to do my own). She told me to skip the above question because it is way over the kids head. I told her I didn't plan to skip it because I checked in my class and over half want to go into a math related field. I thought it would be good for them to see it and do it (it's practice, after all and I do have tougher standards/expectations than the "regular" teachers - they know this).

So, I go back to my room and look at the key. All the other problems are straightforward super easy plug in questions. This one they TRIED to make this way. They actually USED (4, 35) as the vertex (and shifts) to try to get the equation. Needless to say, it didn't work. So then they tried to shift the numbers in the problem to make it fit their work. Finally, they just had answers written. Their written answers have a higher number for the highest point than 35, but they saw no "problem" with this. Parts b and c just have written answers - no work provided.

So, I did the question the correct way (system of equations for anyone else reading who is curious) and lo and behold all the correct answers come up.

Needless to say, I will share the correct answer with the kids AFTER having them try it on their own.

Now the hard part. HOW do I TACTFULLY tell the other teachers? My choices are to just fix the answer key and say nothing (but they will notice it has changed). DON'T fix the answer key (I probably can't do this one - too against my brain). Or come up with a way to tactfully mention it (which might not be useful anyway as they've already taken it off the "updated" version the rest of them give their classes). Is there a way to tactfully approach this or do I just be blunt and say I fixed it, then let them figure out their mistake? They will understand why when they see it. I WANT to stay friends with these people. I enjoy their company, so I don't care to act like or look like a "know it all" or "superior" in any way, shape, or form, so that makes me lean towards saying/doing nothing outside my class. Yet, I'd really like to see it "fixed" too.

Having a student in this school it really irritates me that they will cut "hard" problems (that aren't hard) just because they apparently can't figure them out??? But that's another issue.

Will any of your students figure out the correct way? If so, you can always say "Look at how this student worked the problem". That way, you won't be a know-it-all or anything, and the other teachers still get the correct solution.

Way to go for keeping up your standards!:thumbup1:

Best wishes.

I would write a correct answer key and share it with the other teachers, sayings something along the lines of "finding this a simpler/more elegant/ easier to explain way".

Then let them draw their own conclusions regarding the old key.

It is awkward, I feel for you - but I, too, would feel compelled to behave professionally and not accept sloppy work by colleagues.

(Btw, maybe I misunderstand the question: why do they need three points? Would not two points be sufficient to determine the initial position and velocity- and everything else from there? )

Will any of your students figure out the correct way? If so, you can always say "Look at how this student worked the problem". That way, you won't be a know-it-all or anything, and the other teachers still get the correct solution.

Way to go for keeping up your standards!:thumbup1:

Best wishes.

Highly doubtful, but I'm going to see. I've only been with them two days. Day One I had to get behavior under control since they've had a couple of non-math subs and they aren't necessarily the best with their regular teacher either (according to some good kids in the class). Between behavior "fixes" and "catch up" on math that they didn't get from the other subs, not much "new" was done. (This was planned, so we aren't behind.)

Today behavior was fixed and I sort of got them starting to think (actually think) about some aspects of math (WHY can - or can't - we do this, etc).

Tomorrow I won't see them due to testing.

Thursday is when they get this practice test which they are supposed to do in groups. They are likely to do the easy things, then want to sit and chat. I will be busy helping the slower kids get the "easy" things, but plan to make time to go over this one as a class.

Friday they have a team test on the easier things, so I do have to make sure they know how to do them. I can't cut that.

Oh yes, one other big point. I have to turn my "key" back in tomorrow - before I see them. It's just borrowed.

I would write a correct answer key and share it with the other teachers, sayings something along the lines of "finding this a simpler/more elegant/ easier to explain way".

Then let them draw their own conclusions regarding the old key.

It is awkward, I feel for you - but I, too, would feel compelled to behave professionally and not accept sloppy work by colleagues.

(Btw, maybe I misunderstand the question: why do they need three points? Would not two points be sufficient to determine the initial position and velocity- and everything else from there? )

It's a parabola -> ax^2 + bx + c. They need to find a, b, and c (albeit c is easy from the text). Three variables, three points. If you automatically "saw" c it's easy to think two variables and two points. They want the equation of the parabola as well as the height and time.

It's a parabola -> ax^2 + bx + c. They need to find a, b, and c (albeit c is easy from the text). Three variables, three points. If you automatically "saw" c it's easy to think two variables and two points. They want the equation of the parabola as well as the height and time.

Mathematically yes - but you KNOW what a is because you can't change the free-fall acceleration on Earth - so a must be 1/2 free fall acceleration. I wonder whether the makers of this problem even took care of that - if a is not 5 (or 15, if they insist on using feet), then they are somewhere on another planet.

(Which is fine for a math problem as long as they don't feel compelled to throw in the story about the football player - then the ball must oblige gravity and the system is either overdetermined or the problem is just wrong.)

Edited by regentrude

You could approach it as a question. You could say to the other teacher, "I was wondering if you all have taught the students this way to think of the problem because I wanted to share this answer with the kids if it fits into what you've been teaching them." That way you can make it look like you are asking the question rather than correcting them.

Mathematically yes - but you KNOW what a is because you can't change the free-fall acceleration on Earth - so a must be 1/2 free fall acceleration. I wonder whether the makers of this problem even took care of that - if a is not 5 (or 15, if they insist on using feet), then they are somewhere on another planet.

(Which is fine for a math problem as long as they don't feel compelled to throw in the story about the football player - then the ball must oblige gravity and the system is either overdetermined or the problem is just wrong.)

a = -3.5 (Does that make you feel better?)

Yes, it's a math problem, not a "real life" problem even though they make it appear that it is.

This curriculum is NOT one I like. I don't think I've ever covered that up even at school. I spent a few minutes of my day "learning" the "general" equation of a circle (and parabola) vs the "standard" equation because EVERY book I have does it the "traditional" way and this curriculum swaps the two. I did mention this to the head of the math department. She agrees that this curriculum is backward, but I need to keep with the school and teach it that way. She does the College Alg classes and has to switch their thinking back, but is ok with that.

I "might" have mentioned to my classes that we are learning it this way due to our books - if they look in other books they will see it the other way.

You could approach it as a question. You could say to the other teacher, "I was wondering if you all have taught the students this way to think of the problem because I wanted to share this answer with the kids if it fits into what you've been teaching them." That way you can make it look like you are asking the question rather than correcting them.

Ooh, I love the idea of phrasing it as a question! "Have you thought of doing the question this way?" That sounds like a real possibility! THANKS! It does fit in with what they've done a chapter or two ago. They, of course, did it with lines (two variables). This book assumes they can then do it with a parabola, which, they could IF they knew what they were doing with systems of equations and lines. That will be a big IF. Time will tell.

If there is just one answer key that will help all teachers in the future have the correct answer, then I'd just write as much info in there about the correct answer as will fit. We do this at the tutoring center where I work -- just put it in the answer key for everyone to have, including any notes as to why (otherwise some folks may just cross it out).

Julie

If there is just one answer key that will help all teachers in the future have the correct answer, then I'd just write as much info in there about the correct answer as will fit. We do this at the tutoring center where I work -- just put it in the answer key for everyone to have, including any notes as to why (otherwise some folks may just cross it out).

Julie

:iagree: I'd just put the info out there and see if anyone notices or has any questions. I think having the most correct and understandable info available to the teachers would be something most would appreciate. :thumbup: to the OP for not skipping over this lesson. :)

Julie

No, this is just one teacher's answer key. I borrowed hers since I couldn't find the one from the guy I'm in for. They have 100% standardized curriculum across our math classes fairly recently, so each teacher has to cover the same problems and do the same tests, etc. If I didn't have the repertoire I have there just saying "no" to skipping the problem wouldn't be acceptable, esp on a regular basis (if I actually worked there and came under their jurisdiction). Since I'm friends with the group, just "sub," know what I'm doing, and they don't have other math/science qualified people to replace me, I can get away with a little bit. I try to strategically use that advantage now and then. It's helped a LOT that I've chosen to homeschool my two oldest AND they both outscored their peers by a lot on standardized tests. My youngest is now in 9th grade Geometry (in ps) and doing well too. I've pulled the "parent" card and told him he can use my methods. So far, it's worked out, but I know they wouldn't allow it for just anyone.

It's a really dicey situation - hence, I want tact.

The root of the problem is I came from a really good high school and know what high school kids are capable of. My major in college was Physics with a Math minor. I don't have the "education" classes - hence - I'm not a "real" teacher, nor do I really want to work full time so I haven't added the classes to get certified to teach full time. The vast majority of the teachers here only have local school (and teaching college) experience. They think the kids are doing great and much of the stuff on tests, etc, are "too difficult for our kids." We're on different worlds. Then, throw in a subpar curriculum.

I'm torn between sticking my head in the sand or working on the sly to try to get some positive change. It's not easy to actually DO the latter or live with myself doing the former.

This past year I've said more than I've ever said before. I don't want to wear out my "welcome."

The root of the problem is I came from a really good high school and know what high school kids are capable of. My major in college was Physics with a Math minor. I don't have the "education" classes - hence - I'm not a "real" teacher, nor do I really want to work full time so I haven't added the classes to get certified to teach full time. The vast majority of the teachers here only have local school (and teaching college) experience. They think the kids are doing great and much of the stuff on tests, etc, are "too difficult for our kids." We're on different worlds. Then, throw in a subpar curriculum.

Unfortunately, you have perfectly described why our public schools need people like you with ACTUAL skills in the math & science fields at the secondary level. Honestly, as a former schoolteacher, I did not learn much from the "theory" college classes I had to take to earn my state credential. I really learned how to teach when I finally entered my own classroom as a rookie.

I'm torn between sticking my head in the sand or working on the sly to try to get some positive change. It's not easy to actually DO the latter or live with myself doing the former.

Make a list of pros and cons. You've already shared you do not wish to work f/t with this school district. Perhaps you can work p/t as a long term sub with a stellar reputation and knowledge in the field? I know many prinicpals would love to hire you. And yes, the curriculum they have is a result of either what the local school board chose from the state approved list or what is the latest trend in the "education" pendulum. Which again is quite sad from what you experienced in high school.

This past year I've said more than I've ever said before. I don't want to wear out my "welcome."

There were a small group of subs I loved and always requested them time and time again. My reason? They were good at controlling discipline. They tried to follow my lesson plans without screwing it up for me to fix when I got back. And the communication of how the day worked (or didn't work) was noted in a long note. I was thrilled one time to read one sub offer her take on a lesson -- and how her background and talents made it come alive for the students. I loved it! I used her idea every year.

I would like to think the teacher may appreciate your suggestion. But caution you in that using tact is the key as you are entering into THEIR classroom/territory with their students and possibly criticizing the curriculum. Yoikes! ;) Plus, you are a parent. Teachers can be very defensive about their ways of teaching. Thread lightly and do the suggestion with grace. But it can be done! Let us know how it goes.

I'm with regentrude in that my first instinct was to solve it as a "phyiscs" problem with real-life gravity. If the math problem doesnt' match up with solving it with gravity then it is a very poor math problem.

... by the way, I'm all for pushing to solve problems that make the kids think and aren't necessarily straightforward.

Make a list of pros and cons. You've already shared you do not wish to work f/t with this school district. Perhaps you can work p/t as a long term sub with a stellar reputation and knowledge in the field? I know many prinicpals would love to hire you. And yes, the curriculum they have is a result of either what the local school board chose from the state approved list or what is the latest trend in the "education" pendulum. Which again is quite sad from what you experienced in high school.

Working as a long term sub is essentially working full time (5 days a week). I prefer to have a day or two a week at home with my guys or getting errands/chores done. It makes a nice break for me. I've done a couple of long term sub jobs for them (longest was 6 weeks). It worked, but it's certainly "different" than being part time schedule-wise.

I've been offered a full time job from this school district whenever I want one. (I would have to do night classes to get my masters at the same time). It's nice to have as a back up. Right now, with our budget cuts, I don't know that I could get hired, but again, I'm not terribly interested in full time. Middle son is a senior (homeschooling) next year and we'll need to be visiting colleges.

I do have a good rapport with almost all the teachers at this school (math, science, and otherwise). I could work daily if I wanted to. I try to stay away from non math/science classes mainly because I prefer to be able to answer questions from students when they have them. I'm "ok" at English, but not great. Ditto that for most other subjects. I can easily handle discipline. (Air Force background is not in vain!)

I like the rapport - hence - needing the tact in this situation. Also, the head of the math department sells the curriculum we use and gets paid as a salesperson. There's no chance of our school changing.

Unfortunately, you have perfectly described why our public schools need people like you with ACTUAL skills in the math & science fields at the secondary level. Honestly, as a former schoolteacher, I did not learn much from the "theory" college classes I had to take to earn my state credential. I really learned how to teach when I finally entered my own classroom as a rookie.

Maybe things have changed, but I'm a Secondary Ed Math major, and I will be two credits shy of a math major, too. (I plan to just go ahead and take the class and get my math degree, as well.) So the high school teachers around here (Michigan) are getting actual skills.

OP, I think it depends on how much you are willing to risk. There is a chance you will be seen as an "outsider who thinks she knows it all." In the schools dh works with, the teachers have a committee that chooses the curriculum, so a slam on what they chose would not be taken well. If it was chosen for them, they might not care as much (or they might agree with you about it. :D) [ETA: Just read the situation with the math rep - yikes! - I wouldn't say much against it, and it probably wouldn't help anyway.]

Anyway, I would approacj it from a "helping" standpoint: "I found this a more clear way to handle it, and I wanted to share it with you guys. I assume you share tips with each other, right?" :001_smile:

Ok, the follow up.

I have to drop the question. Every other class has and I need to follow suit. The kids "aren't ready" for this type of question yet - it is covered more in depth two chapters later (which it might be, I haven't looked). They are only supposed to be writing equations from shifts at this point in the math lives (slightly over halfway through Alg 2). They have solved systems of equations for two variables and have to be able to set those up, but have never seen three.

They don't give a hoot about the physical impossibility of the question - or of any math word problem. Their only concern is teaching the math. They will let the science department worry about the "science" of it all, but hey, it's another reason to drop the question. ;)

This was all said and "done" nicely. I've been more concise stating it all.

I made a new key for the teacher I'm in for now, but it will probably be pointless as they've updated the "review" anyway. I just don't have the updated version. But it made me feel better... I also made a couple of other things "easier" on my key - nothing "wrong" with how they had been done, but there were easier ways.

Tomorrow I'll have a better idea of the math knowledge the kids have. I hope I don't get too disappointed. My youngest will have this class next year. (sigh)

Wow, it gets better. I just went over my answer key with the other teacher.

These kids have to solve 2 = 1.2(1.005)^x by GUESS and CHECK!

They haven't learned logs yet and won't until Pre-Calc. I asked if they could graph the equation and look at it where y=2 or do the division then look at it and was told "absolutely not. They MUST guess and check until they get it right." Why? "It's the way this book does things. They don't have time to graph it and look for the answer. They have to guess and check." WHAT? To me, it's easier to graph it and look rather than guess and check until I come up with approx 102 months.

And, isn't math about learning the math NOT guessing and checking?

I don't think I could teach full time here. I think I'm ready to move away before my youngest reaches Alg 2 next year.

I know I'm late to the party here (been out of town on college visit.)

Also, the head of the math department sells the curriculum we use and gets paid as a salesperson. There's no chance of our school changing.
Wow. Not a problem from any stakeholder's (taxpayer, school board or state dept. of ed. curriculum purchase guidelines, etc.) point of view?

Wow. Not a problem from any stakeholder's (taxpayer, school board or state dept. of ed. curriculum purchase guidelines, etc.) point of view?

We live in a rural area. It's definitely not a problem around here... ;)

Hope you had a fun college visit!

For what it's worth, we never got to the question anyway. I was working non-stop explaining what I thought were the "easy" questions. The kids have no concept of the math concepts. They are just trying to memorize. It's tough trying to get them over that.

This math is one of those group math things. Too often 3/4ths of the time is spent discussing non-math things and 1/4th is spent on math. Since a teacher can only be with one group at a time, it's difficult to "police" other groups (but I've been trying). Also, once one person knows, the rest of the group doesn't care if they know - until it comes time for an individual test. Then the tests are so watered down it's amazing to me that anyone can not do well.

Then they wonder why kids are overmatched when they head off to college. TOP kids around here tend to be ecstatic if they get a 600 on the math portion of the SAT. Not in the 600's mind you, but 600. And not average kids, but top kids.

The kids aren't that "untalented." They've never been held accountable for more, so they don't know how to do or give more. Then too, they can be lazy. And don't get me started on their calculator dependence. I've mentioned that in oodles of other threads. Our school has calculators as necessary supplies in 1st grade. Kids are flat out told they never have to learn math facts as they will always be able to use their calculators. They don't even teach long division anymore.

One good thing is I was talking with another math teacher. Due to PA's Keystone exams that will be coming up in a couple more years our teachers have gone through the curriculum and cut a bit of stuff not on those tests so they can cover what is on the tests. Honestly, I don't like teaching to the test, but what they are cutting is generally "fluff" (projects the kids don't learn from like making a sin/cos graph from spaghetti noodles and yarn) and what they are adding is what I consider the "basics" (like putting circles back in geometry).

Wow - this thread has been an eye-opener.

Working in this school has been an eye opener. I'm really glad that we needed me to take a part time job 12 years ago. If we hadn't, I'd have sent my kids to this school just because that's what parents do. Both hubby and I were raised in ps. We'd have trusted their great grades to have meant they had an education. We'd have assumed they weren't super talented when their SAT scores weren't all that high. We'd have been with the majority commiserating when they reached the "tough" classes in college and it wouldn't have been surprising if they came back home.

That's what happens around here.

Instead, I HAD to work - we needed the extra income - so I signed on to be a sub. Since my major is Physics with a Math minor I naturally gravitated to the math/science classes. And my eyes were opened. My jaw still hits the floor sometimes. I'm stymied as to why people around here "don't get it," but I've come to the conclusion it's because they don't know any better. The vast majority of teachers went to schools in this area or very nearby. I went to a really good high school. I'm so thankful...

And we pulled ours out to homeschool as soon as my oldest hit 9th grade. (Our elementary schools didn't used to be as bad until they switched math programs). And my guys get scores they can't believe. Then they assess the "credit" to the "fact" that my major was physics and hubby is a Civil Engineer so it has to be genetic. Last time I had a conversation with some teacher friends I mentioned that both of MY parents were music teachers who couldn't help me in the least with upper level math. "I" had a GOOD SCHOOL that noticed my ability and challenged it. Hubby's parents were a tobacco foreman and a SAHM. Sure, some academic talent is genetic, but a bit rests on what one does (or doesn't do) with the talent. Kids here are equally as talented as anywhere else on this planet. It's expectations that differ. They live up to their expectations.

I have a couple of "converts" at school - mainly those with kids in the district. But I haven't converted those who make the decisions. I know as my boys have "stats" to back me up that more people are paying attention.

So, I'm thankful that NCLB is making our school change some for the better. (Other parts of NCLB need modifying.)

Should I mention that our school is only slightly below average in PA? And that PA is slightly above average in the US. As a rough estimate... that makes our school average. I shudder at the thought that there are schools worse than mine. I also shudder that my youngest insists on being at ps, but at least he is willing to work extra to make up for it. I still feel his education is suffering over what it could be, but he has other issues that trump his education.

But I haven't converted those who make the decisions. I know as my boys have "stats" to back me up that more people are paying attention.

Have you read Math Wars? http://www.amazon.com/Math-Wars-Guide-Parents-Teachers/dp/1578867754/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302532521&sr=1-3 It discusses the problem with math education in the States, including how math curricula is selected.

Have you read Math Wars? http://www.amazon.com/Math-Wars-Guide-Parents-Teachers/dp/1578867754/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302532521&sr=1-3 It discusses the problem with math education in the States, including how math curricula is selected.

No, I haven't read it. It looks interesting. I'll have to see if our library or inter-library loan has it. Or, I wonder if there's an updated version since there ought to be far more stats out there now.

:iagree: My first thoughts were "WHOA! Big conflict of interest!"

:iagree: My first thoughts were "WHOA! Big conflict of interest!"

Ditto. Since you've gotten your message across to some of the other teachers and parents, I wonder if the information about the math books couldn't be "leaked" to a tax payer association. I'm sure they'd take it and run with it, especially if the cost for the texts is high. But I know that's probably easier said than done especially when you want to keep your subbing job, and rightly so.

I think it's great that you're trying to make a difference, not only for yours, but for other kids. What you said about living up to expectations is so true. Those expectations have been made so incredibly low in recent years that even the lowest achieving students have been shortchanged. I'm sure the pendulum will again swing in the other direction, but in the meantime the damage is being done.

I agree that while genetics may play a part, a lot of it rests on what's done with that talent. While there may be a small percentage who will learn on their own exceeding expectations, the majority will work only as hard as they are required to work. It's unfortunate that so little is required of them. These lowered standards have been around long enough now that those who were educated in these schools are now teaching - as you see at your school. I think that teacher education is going to be needed as part of the solution to this whole mess.

Like you, I was public schooled and we got a good education. We had to work hard for A's and by no means was it a guarantee that you'd pass a class - never mind a guarantee of an A or B like it is today. And I grew up knowing how far inferior our education was in comparison to my parents. They actually knew world history, could recite Shakespeare and major poets, had awesome vocabularies, etc.. I still remember my mother being stumped by the "new math" and showing me how she learned to do things. Her way made so much more sense. :)

Keep up the good work. You are making a difference. :)

Ditto. Since you've gotten your message across to some of the other teachers and parents' date=' I wonder if the information about the math books couldn't be "leaked" to a tax payer association. [/quote']

There's no taxpayer association around here that would care. We're rural. They'd be more likely to be mad at me (a relative newcomer since we've only lived here for 15 years) for disturbing the status quo and belittling the choices a well-respected local school makes.

I think it's great that you're trying to make a difference, not only for yours, but for other kids. What you said about living up to expectations is so true. Those expectations have been made so incredibly low in recent years that even the lowest achieving students have been shortchanged. I'm sure the pendulum will again swing in the other direction, but in the meantime the damage is being done.

I agree that while genetics may play a part, a lot of it rests on what's done with that talent. While there may be a small percentage who will learn on their own exceeding expectations, the majority will work only as hard as they are required to work. It's unfortunate that so little is required of them. These lowered standards have been around long enough now that those who were educated in these schools are now teaching - as you see at your school. I think that teacher education is going to be needed as part of the solution to this whole mess.

Thanks, and :iagree:

The kids in my classes are making reasonable progress learning now. It took a week to a week and a half before they realized I wasn't going to give up. I've created random name generators for my classes and they know I will pick a name out. That name is responsible for answering my question (usually "why") or putting a problem on the board - no excuses, but also no flames if they don't get it. We'll work through it together to "fix" the learning. It keeps all the kids involved as they never know when they'll need to show something.

On their homework they had just been writing "anything" since we aren't allowed to grade it for correctness - just completion. Now they are actually trying to complete it. It's amazing how much just that helps their understanding. ;)

Then "my" good news... the real teacher is coming back Monday. His daughter has been coming along well and should be released from the hospital. I'll go back to part time and be able to do more with "my" family. The kids [here] will be able to go back to whatever they were doing based on how "he" did things. They're looking forward to his return. I haven't won many [student] friends by how strict I've kept things, BUT 9th grade son (and peer to many) has told me his friends tell him they've learned/understood a LOT more since I've been here, so I'm pleased overall. They just don't like the work involved to learn. They'd rather punch everything in on their phones or calculators.

No, I haven't read it. It looks interesting. I'll have to see if our library or inter-library loan has it. Or, I wonder if there's an updated version since there ought to be far more stats out there now.

I took it out on interlibrary loan :).

I haven't [yet] looked at it, but I need to be VERY careful with what I write on the net as I do want to preserve my job.

Either that or you'd have to find a fool proof way to post anonymously.