Menu

DD's periods changing; more frequent

They were every month, pretty regular. Now since February, it has been 21 days, then 19 days. It lasts a week. Nothing else is different.

She is 17 1/2. She started her period at 12. She is a 2nd semester Freshman at college (away through the week, home on the weekends). I think it is stress and lack of sleep. (Also lack of nutrition because she complains endlessly about the cafeteria food.) She does not want to see a doctor, and I think if it keeps up, she will have to. How long do I wait and track it before insisting she see a doctor?

Also, I'm afraid they will try to put her on birth control pills, which I don't want. I think unnecessary hormones aren't so good.

Is there anything natural she can take to help her? I read the posts on red raspberry leaf tea. I'm sure she would take that in pill form if I told her to.

April in TX

Does she take a multivitamin? If not, have her start. Even just a kids gummy style if that is all you can get into her.

Could she be irregular to to cycles of the girls at school? Does she have a roommate with a 21 day cycle?

Will she be coming home at the end of the semester? I would probably wait 'til then and see if a month of healthy food and sleep patterns (and a little less stress) help her even out again. I don't think this is panic-worthy. And then maybe schedule a check-up a little later in the summer (so you'll have an idea whether or not lifestyle changes have helped).

I'd also make sure she was getting a good multivitamin. I like this one from Rainbow Light 'cause it's food-based and it also includes vitex and other herbs that support good hormonal function.

I always had short cycles (21-23 days) as a teen. After having babies they would lengthen for a while and then shorten again. I ovulate very early in my cycle which, as I understand, is a sign of high levels of estrogen. Is she getting too many hormones from milk?

I have always been very fertile and have never had any problems with cysts/endo., so I wouldn't think that it is necessarily a problem--just an annoyance! Also, I eat a balanced diet. I have had short cycles during periods of stress and periods of relative ease.