Menu

I need a solid grammar/ diagramming course/practice from a secular publisher

jenniferlee

We are currently doing mct. all 3 levels and I like it a lot. However, I would like to supplement with something that will cover actual diagramming. This would be for 3rd, 5th and 7th grades.

I have money available to me to purchase whatever I want, but it has to be from a secular publisher. So, no rod and staff (that was my first choice).

Any good ideas?

thanks!

Jennifer

We also use Growing with Grammar. Starting with 3rd grade, you'll need both the student text and workbook. In that level, you'll also start diagramming.

First Language Lessons is our second grammar program, I consider it secular, so you might want to check that out too.

We also use Growing with Grammar. Starting with 3rd grade, you'll need both the student text and workbook. In that level, you'll also start diagramming.

First Language Lessons is our second grammar program, I consider it secular, so you might want to check that out too.

Those are what I would suggest as well. :)

How about the 3rd and 5th grader do FLL 4 (or 3) together, only get the workbook for the 3rd grader and let the older figure out the diagrams on his own (this bumps up the difficulty quite a bit).

Haake/Saxon Grammar is another good secular choice for middle schoolers.

• 3 weeks later...
We use MCT and I like the Mark Twain Media Sentence Diagramming workbook. Cheap, to the point, and completely secular.

Crimson Wife, We started this today (per your recommendation here). Thanks for the tip! Very cheap and to the point -- with plenty of room to write in the workbook. I just wanted something simple to supplement GI & Shurley (both do not teach diagramming).

I actually ordered a few things from Amazon that you suggested. Thank you for the great advice here. :001_smile:

I also got the Mark Twain book on your recc. Thanks, Crimson Wife.

I am working through the book, but I need to brush up some of my concepts reg. adverbial phrases, I think.

Last week I read an older post that said this book has errors, though. Have you noticed any of these errors? I wouldn't know, so I'd appreciate any help.

TiA

I have used JAG with my 4th grader this year and have loved it. Very thorough and very systematic. I have learned so much that I never truly understood in my own schooling...and that is just with Junior Analytical Grammar! I already ordered their new Mechanics and Usuage book for us in 5th grade (with an extra student book for ME :D) and we will start AG in sixth grade.

Definitely secular, definitely covers diagramming and much more. Really, really love this program!