Menu

Have you closed your account on Facebook?

I recently opened an account, but really can't see the use of facebook for me. I'm not really interested in sitting at the computer chatting with a bunch of people I don't know well (except on this board :D where I learn things). I have no relatives who use FB and would benefit from seeing our pictures there (b/c they are not computer savvy). I think I'm going to close my account. I'm also not thrilled with the attitudes of those in charge of FB.

Anyway...if you have closed your account, can you tell me why? Can anyone think of a good reason for me to keep my account open?

Shannon

If YOU don't enjoy FB and aren't using it, then by all means, close it!!

I, personally, use mine a lot. I have a lot of friends I've met online that I communicate with via FB along with a lot of my other friends that live far away. But, really it doesn't matter whether I do or don't use mine, because if you don't like yours or use it, you might as well get rid of it!

So there, permission granted, LOL!

I have "closed" mine in the past - but have since "reopened" it. Those words are in quotes because you can't really close and reopen your account. You can disable it, but everything is there if you ever re-engage it. Your friend list is still there, photos are still there - everything is still there if you choose to come back. It's one of my biggest pet peeves about fb - knowing that my stuff is still out there. But I suppose that's the way it is with almost everything that gets sent via the WWW. *sigh*

I had so many friends bugging about it, that I finally opened a FB account and promptly closed it five minutes later. Seriously.

I was opening it under duress anyhow but as soon as the account was completed and opened, all these "friends" showed up as waiting to be "friended" (OK, I don't even know if I've got the lingo right) and I panicked.

These are people I knew in college, sort of. Some of them I was interested in finding out what's going on in their lives, but I can not even keep up with my IRL friends and regular email or the chats on this group, for crying out loud.

I saw my life flash before me in those five minutes and knew that I would never again get anything done if I got on there...it's all I would want to do. This is the exact same reason we don't have cable or satellite or whatever...I would spend all day watching FOX News or the Home/Food Channel or whatever it is. My kids would be left to teach themselves, dh would have to cook, dogs would have to walk themselves...

Anyhoo, that's me...I am not disciplined with my time so it's just something I know I can't even start...

Edited by Debbie in OR

yep, i closed mine a couple of years ago. there is a difference though between deactivating it and actually closing it ...so be sure you do the correct one. my husband closed his several months ago. we don't think FB is a bad thing by any means though...just something we are over. we're now status free:tongue_smilie:

I had so many friends bugging about it, that I finally opened a FB account and promptly closed it five minutes later. Seriously.

I was opening it under duress anyhow but as soon as the account was completed and opened, all these "friends" showed up as waiting to be "friended" (OK, I don't even know if I've got the lingo right) and I panicked.

These are people I knew in college, sort of. Some of them I was interested in finding out what's going on in their lives, but I can not even keep up with my IRL friends and regular email or the chats on this group, for crying out loud.

I saw my life flash before me in those five minutes and knew that I would never again get anything done if I got on there...it's all I would want to do. This is the exact same reason we don't have cable or satellite or whatever...I would spend all day watching FOX News or the Home/Food Channel or whatever it is. My kids would be left to teach themselves, dh would have to cook, dogs would have to walk themselves...

Anyhoo, that's me...I am not organized or disciplined with my time so it's just something I know I can't even start...

This is me too. I had a FB account about 4 years ago before it got really big. I closed it and haven't regretted it. It is the BIGGEST time suck for my younger sister. She is on that thing all the time! I don't have enough time as it is. I'm too busy trolling this forum. :tongue_smilie:

Last Thursday night, I heard a security/internet/social media presentation by a missionary who works in web technology. The facts he shared with us made me concerned enough to want to permanently leave facebook. Can't share specifics right now - Leechblock is about to close me out of WTM for the night! ;) - but it had to do with the transparency that the fb folks are aiming for.

My son told me if I want to close it, I should change all my info put up false stuff, leave it for a while then close the account. Then the info & pictures that are saved on the www is not really mine.

That's what I did. I deleted all my pictures, put up a false birthday, then deactivated.

Now you can. I went there the other day to close my account and they now have an option to permanently close it. There is a 10 day waiting period before they officially do, but they now do.

There is? I had thought you could only deactivate, not permanently delete it. Do you mind sending me a pm to show me how?

I opened an account and then I decided I wouldn't use it. I haven't closed it but I can't even remember what the password was. The only reason I can think to keep it is that more and more references are being made to facebook. There have been a number of times here on the board or elsewhere that someone has linked to a facebook page and I can't see what they are referring to. Unfortunately, I suspect this is going to become more and more common.

Lisa

I opened an account and then I decided I wouldn't use it. I haven't closed it but I can't even remember what the password was. The only reason I can think to keep it is that more and more references are being made to facebook. There have been a number of times here on the board or elsewhere that someone has linked to a facebook page and I can't see what they are referring to. Unfortunately, I suspect this is going to become more and more common.

Lisa

Yes, I think it will become more common. Recently Classical Academic Press had a facebook coupon of 10%. It didn't help me b/c I don't check fb enough to find coupons before they expire. I originally joined b/c we weren't hearing about some 4h activities b/c they were posted on fb. There were also some church prayer requests and events that seemed to be only on fb. But, I'm coming to the realization that I don't care. If we miss out, we miss out. Our schedule is jam packed already anyway. And yes, the direction that FB wants to head is a little scary.

Shannon

If YOU don't enjoy FB and aren't using it, then by all means, close it!!

I, personally, use mine a lot. I have a lot of friends I've met online that I communicate with via FB along with a lot of my other friends that live far away. But, really it doesn't matter whether I do or don't use mine, because if you don't like yours or use it, you might as well get rid of it!

So there, permission granted, LOL!

Yeah, that! I love that I can keep in contact with my nieces and nephews, who probably would never pick up the phone or email me. I love that I can hear about the daily lives of my far-away friends and family - not just the once a year Christmas letter or something like that. I love that it works for my introverted personality.

Dh hardly uses his at all and we are all OK with that (except for his FB addicted relatives who email me asking me why dh doesn't answer them;).)

So, if it's not working for you - go ahead and free yourself.