Menu

My first and next-to-last whine about studying.

I am studying for my 10 year boards. I have mapped out 350 hours of studying over 9 months and I'm down to 80. I am sick of it. I hate sitting like this, I hate missing out on anything else, and I hate having to memorize the side effects of chemo meds (which I would LOOK UP if I ever had a patient come to me on them -- do they think I would rely on my memory of a drug I'd never used but only crammed for a test 10 years ago?).

Tonight, while chanting through the causes of hypocalcemia, I come upon this sentence: When patients appear as if they have pseudohypoparathyroidism, but they do not, they have pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.

Image a few hundred more pages of that. When this test is over, I have many hours of chart review and "accepted" modules to complete. My only solace is thinking this is the next to last time I have to do this. Arghhhhhhhhh. Oh, and it cost about 2000 bucks.

When patients appear as if they have pseudohypoparathyroidism, but they do not, they have pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism.

This is about where I would start using the Elmer Fudd voice, or perhaps Ruth Buzzi, and start chanting and dancing around the house.

No. No, I cannot imagine more pages of that. As if it's not bad enough that you have to treat [insert correct, non-offensive descriptor] people, now this?! Torture, I tell you!

I have no idea what you said. I had to read your post 5 times before I saw the difference between pseudoblabbityblah and pseudopseudo blabbityblah.

You are going to love the difference. An inherited condition of resistance to parathyroidhormone will give you an increased level of it. It is called pseudohyperparathyroidism. This mutation goes along with a mutation that gives people a short stature and such short hand bones, they appear to be missing a couple of knuckles. Now then, if you have the short knuckles but not the mutation for the resistance to parathyroid hormone BUT you have elevated parathyroid hormone for some other reason, you have pseudopseudohyperparathyroidism.

Yup. Such a common disease you must all have an IL with it.

Edited by kalanamak

um, so will you forgive me for asking . . . 10 year boards? I'm not well versed in medical stuff so I am lost. Is it some sort of recertification?

Yes. After second year med school: Boards part 1. After 4th year (or was it third) part 2. After internship part 3 and after (an approved) residency part 4. If you subspecialize you also have to take subspecialty boards. If you want to remain employable these days, you have to renew part 4 or your subspecialty every 10 years. If you don't get an "approved residency" you can't be "eligible" and therefore can't take part 4. So when your internal medicine doc is "board certified", they might have heard of pseudopseudohyperparathyroidism. :D

Yes. After second year med school: Boards part 1. After 4th year (or was it third) part 2. After internship part 3 and after (an approved) residency part 4. If you subspecialize you also have to take subspecialty boards. If you want to remain employable these days, you have to renew part 4 or your subspecialty every 10 years. If you don't get an "approved residency" you can't be "eligible" and therefore can't take part 4. So when your internal medicine doc is "board certified", they might have heard of pseudopseudohyperparathyroidism. :D

May I be honest and say I just scanned that. :D My head is now :willy_nilly: I can't even imagine studying those things. I am still trying to wrap my head around Action Potentials and ATPs [what are those anyway?]

I will be thinking of you and sending you all the smart vibes I can. Heaven knows they aren't working for me. :tongue_smilie:

You are going to love the difference. An inherited condition of resistance to parathyroidhormone will give you an increased level of it. It is called pseudohyperparathyroidism. This mutation goes along with a mutation that gives people a short stature and such short hand bones, they appear to be missing a couple of knuckles. Now then, if you have the short knuckles but not the mutation for the resistance to parathyroid hormone BUT you have elevated parathyroid hormone for some other reason, you have pseudopseudohyperparathyroidism.

Yup. Such a common disease you must all have an IL with it.

Oh, most certainly! Add the hairy Hobbit toes and you just described 3/4's of DH's extended family! :lol::lol: