Menu

What can I ProClick?

Satori

I'm addicted to spiral-bound books now as they lie flat so nicely. Since I buy eBook PDFs as much as I can now, I wanted an alternative than to keep purchasing expensive Better Binders (which I'm also addicted to) for $8-10 a pop.

I just picked up a ProClick P50 binder for $50 today at Office Depot, and I'm ready to bind! I only got the 45 and 85 page binders, which limits my choices. A box of 110 page binders is about $50 and I'm not sure I want to pay that right now.

I figure I'm limited to 110 pages (or if I double-side them, about 200 pages). I was going to ProClick bind FLL 3 and workbook, but they're too big.

My Math Mammoth should be ready from the coop next week.

What have you ProClick bound? Any creative ideas of books you made for handwriting/copywork or anything?

I figure I'm limited to 110 pages (or if I double-side them, about 200 pages). I was going to ProClick bind FLL 3 and workbook, but they're too big.

Could you split them into 2 parts? Make a "volume 1" and "volume 2", so to speak?

Sigh. You have all the cool toys. :)

backs out of thread clutching my hole punch. I don't need a new toy. I love my hole punch..

HAHAHHA!! I hear you Hooty Tooty!! I have been binding my own books using a book binding kit a friend recommended to me awhile back. I'm addicted to making my girls personalized books- whether as a compilation of their work for a unit, or just specfic subjects and topics that I know they will love.

I wouldn't go so far as to bind TGs or manuals because its a lot of work and I would rather just throw those in binders. But if I had a ProClick I could only imagine the amounts of things I would be making into spiral-bound books! Journals sound like a great idea.

The one book I have been wanting to bind but haven't attempted yet because of its thickness is Grammarland by ML Nesbitt. Maybe you can do a neat spiral-bound addition printed off on old looking paper or something cool. Just a thought....

I agree with Mo2. You have an awesome array of resources!

I have a proclick!

Here's what we've used it for:

-minibooks-my kids love making minibooks and it's very easy to bind them. You can cut down the coils very easily, thus using one coil for 2-3 minibooks.

-ebooks from scholastic and evan moor. We've downloaded a number of these, and while for some I only print pages as i need them, for others, it's nice to pro-click them.

-our homeschool log. At the end of the year, I will take all my loose printed log tables and bind them with the pro-click for record keeping. Ii could have made a log book at the beginning of the year, but I didn't LOL. Instead I print a few tables at a time, file them in a file folder and will bind them at year end. I was going to the same this year, but I think I'm addicted to Homeschool Tracker+ LOL

-pseudo lap books. They're more like notebooking pages, I guess, on different topics, bound together

-ebooks from google, particularly Maxwell's Primary and Intermediate Language Lessons, Sheldon's Advanced Language Lessons, and other workbooks. The Kindle is often great for PDFs, but for workbook-type ebooks, I prefer to print them and bind them.

-Motivated Mom's Chore Charts

-Math Mammoth, which we no longer use (but it was great for this)

The possibilities are endless :D

Edited by Halcyon

I have a pro-click. The question is what NOT to bind. I did a collection of copywork last year. I have also done my teacher's planner for the last two years.

I bought mine from mybinding.com. They also have 3:1 spiral coils that work with the pro-click machine. The only difference is they are spiral, so you can't open them to add pages.

I ended up buying two sizes of the spiral coils, they were more cost effective than the pro-click spines.

One feature I realized last year is that you can bind the books at the top instead of the side. This worked great for anything ds needed to write in. There was no spine to get in the way.

I also bought some report covers, you can also cut scrapbook paper to make pretty covers.

I've had mine for a couple of years, I'm still excited about it. It was one of the best investments I've made.

I have bound:

MM by chapter - makes a great workbook size

FLL: I match TG to Worksheets, so we each have corresponding books. Ends up as 4 'volumes'.

WWE: Same as above.

I have cut and bound other workbooks we had so they lay nice.

OPGTR is so much easier to use when bound

Any ebook we use, is now bound.

AAS, spin cut and bound, and created spelling test sheets(lines numbered and spaced, marked as phrase and sentences)

Elemental Science by unit

Penmanship I prepare sheets with WriteStart and bind.

Prima Latin - spine cut and bound(this is for next year)

Anything that requires more the 2 loose pages ends up bound. I have a workbooks of "book reports".

Amanda Bennett Unit Studies

Hmmm.... My planner, their agendas, dd11 and dd14 reports. Grading forms...

I'm sure there's more. I only have a comb binder, we don't have proclick here so I'm satisfied with that!

I've thought about getting one of these just for when our books come spiral bound on the side. I'd much rather they all be bound at the top like Growing with Grammar, because they like Elegantlion said they don't have a spine/spiral that gets in the way when the kids are writing in them.

Oh the things I could do if I bought one, I really need to stay away from these types of threads because of the temptation they bring. :lol:

I've thought about getting one of these just for when our books come spiral bound on the side. I'd much rather they all be bound at the top like Growing with Grammar, because they like Elegantlion said they don't have a spine/spiral that gets in the way when the kids are writing in them.

Oh the things I could do if I bought one, I really need to stay away from these types of threads because of the temptation they bring. :lol:

Binding at the top! I like it!

I may just try that with the next round of binding!

I don't find that the comb binding interferes much with it being at the side, but I can see where it might.

Down side, comb binding, you can't wrap it right over like a spiral. meaning more space above, we sit 5 at a 32 wide desk, face to face, so not sure it'll work.

Wouldn't hurt to try with one book to start...

Thanks for the ideas! I had fun last night making a few things.

I love it! In the long run, this is going to be more cost effective than continually buying big, expensive, bulky binders that take up so much space.

Great ideas!! I love the little geography booklet! That could be used for many smaller things.

Did the proclick come with smaller bindings? Or did you cut them?

They're easily cut. Thanks to Halcyon who mentioned that she made little books and you can get 2-3 spines out of one spine for the little books. Actually, thanks to everyone who shared their great ideas!

Thanks for the idea!

I did some small-ish ones too! This is 1/2 page and top bound(thanks, nukeswife)

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Thanks for sharing your WWE notebook! I've been tempted to do that for WWE, which we haven't used in awhile. I might start today.

I made a writing journal for my daughter today, she totally loves it. Next we'll make some drawing notebooks for her.

post-8662-13535084672232_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084672502_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084672232_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084672502_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your WWE notebook! I've been tempted to do that for WWE, which we haven't used in awhile. I might start today.

I made a writing journal for my daughter today, she totally loves it. Next we'll make some drawing notebooks for her.

OH, nice! Those are cute!

I just bought a binding machine that is on a 3:1 pitch...so it can do wire, coil or proclick spines. I can't wait to bind all of the kiddo's Phonics Roads books.

If I never have to buy a 3-ring binder again I will be one happy woman. I'm a tired of them piling up in a semi-circle and toppling off my bookshelves. Not too mention they are so bulky and don't lie flat when the kiddo's are trying to do their work.

I'm going to print daily copywork selections on the back of DS PR Blueprints, so he'll have his spelling and copywork all in one book. Math Mammoth will be bound into chapters, too. It will be so easy to work on a section of MM in one chapter and then switch it up to another section in a different chapter. This will make my easily bored mathy DS very happy!!

• 3 months later...

Hi all, here is a dumb question from a newbie.. i saw how some who removed the spines of some texts and pro click the book so that the book can lie flat on the table. I want to try that but I was wondering how do you cut the spine? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks so much.

I think I am going to invest in a pro click myself.

Hi all, here is a dumb question from a newbie.. i saw how some who removed the spines of some texts and pro click the book so that the book can lie flat on the table. I want to try that but I was wondering how do you cut the spine? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks so much.

For smaller workbooks, I've been using my rotary cutter and rotary cutter ruler. If you don't have one, An x-acto knife will work, but it takes longer, and you still need something to be a straight edge for you. I've used the x-acto knife with the rotary cutter ruler for thicker books.

Some books you can just break the spine and peel the pages out, but I ran into several where either the pages were glued together in some spots OR they had strings going through them. Those were a pain. So open the book wide and see how it's bound before you start trying that method.

I LOVE my Proclick! You can do better than $50 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/ProClick-Spines-110-Sheet-Capacity-packs/dp/B00449Y9JG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1311982421&sr=8-6

Hope it's okay to post a link here.

I have made coloring books for my young dc to go along with Bible readings. I made a handwriting/copy work book using George Washington's copywork book on manners.

I bound up books to go along with SWR using the supplemental sheets they sell.

I made cardstock page books, then as I went through FIAR, we filled them in with projects and assignments like a scrapbook.

I have printed e-books and bound them.

My dd has used them to bind books she has written.

I've made cheap sketch books with them. You can reuse the binders when they are full.

We have done little mini books with just a couple rings, you can cut them down, the kids love that.

I'll be making my oldest her own weekly school schedule, so that will be Proclicked.

I also made journals using pre-made journal topic starter pages one year for some of the dc.

I'll make oldest dd a notebook using AJTL pages that go along with her Rome/Middle Ages studies she'll be doing this year.

I can't think of what else, but we've Proclicked lots here!

Lee, homeschooling

14yo dd

12 yo dd

10 yo ds

7 yo ds

5 yo dd

and 2yo waiting in the wings