Menu

WWYD? Grocery clerk with special needs...

I was also really uncomfortable with the idea of people saying those things, over and over as they filmed different scenarios, to the young man playing the bagger. I know he's an actor, as were the customers, but they were saying things he's probably likely to hear in real life, from people who aren't acting. It just didn't sit right with me.

:iagree: Absolutely. What a sham. Gave me a knot in my stomach. Pure sensationalism.

And yes, I would have lost it. It's a hot button for me. I've spoken with store managers before when overhearing their employees using slang like "retard" to each other.

Yuck,

lisa

Okay but no one spoke about the guy berating her over having A beer while breastfeeding? Comparing it to beating the baby with a hammer? What. An. Idiot.:001_huh:

Most people wouldn't know what to say. Breastfeeding know-how is practically nil in this society and that includes doctors, nurses, pharmacists and many women who have breastfed. And I think she was being an idiot too. "If I drink a beer then she sleeps better." ??

I would respond, and I'd like to think I'd keep the bagger in mind rather just go off on a rant. Maybe I'd call the shopper out but then direct my conversation to the bagger who I imagine would appreciate kind words, or if I were really on my game, a really funny comment about the shopper. But talking about someone in front of them is bad manners, no? I don't think I would care.

My 5 foot tall, 66 year old mother, however, would have picked any of those shoppers up and carried them out of the store, tossing them on the sidewalk. She would really be enraged.

I think women speak up not only because they are mothers but also because they don't have to fear that the altercation could get physical. It could, of course. But it isn't as likely.

I'd probably be the same way. I'd like to smack the shopper in the head but in reality I'd most likely interrupt the shopper and say something kind to the bagger. I hate confrontations but I couldn't just stand there and say nothing.

Most people wouldn't know what to say. Breastfeeding know-how is practically nil in this society and that includes doctors, nurses, pharmacists and many women who have breastfed. And I think she was being an idiot too. "If I drink a beer then she sleeps better." ??

Oh yes, I don't think that was the best response either! Or even true for that matter. Tho I dare say more than one mom of history has been told by her grandma or even dr pending the times, that a glass of wine or beer can do wonders to calm a colicy baby.;)

Oh yes, I don't think that was the best response either! Or even true for that matter. Tho I dare say more than one mom of history has been told by her grandma or even dr pending the times, that a glass of wine or beer can do wonders to calm a colicy baby.;)

Totally OT but... My poor baby's reason for "colic" was a yeast allergy!:scared:

I would say something, but probably not a lot, to a customer behaving like those shown in the video. I guess I have very little faith that people who've grown up to believe that it's okay to speak that way would ever change, regardless of what I said. I would also be fearful of a physical altercation.

I would definitely speak kindly to the bagger, and try to offset the damage done by those who're unkind.

Lastly (and this will be unpopular, I'm sure), as I walked away, inside my own head I'd wonder why on earth the grocery would put someone unable to do the job efficiently in that position. Hiring a worker with some challenges is a wonderful thing to do, but I would not expect customers to be happy with a bagger who couldn't bag quickly & efficiently. Stocking shelves? Wonderful! Cleaning up behind the scenes? Excellent! Causing delays for customers in a hurry? No way would I put either the worker or the customer in that position. It's not really fair to either of them.

I have never been one to keep quiet when I see cruelty or injustice.

I know without a doubt that I would have said something to every one of those people, even the intimidating guy. I might stay in the store with my cell phone in hand ready to call 911 while I wait for my 6'3" dh to pick me up afterward, but I wouldn't have been able to keep silent at the time!

I don't have a problem with the show's premise. Yes, the situations make me uncomfortable, get me hyped up emotionally, and even make my blood boil a bit at times, but they make me think. I think there is enough outrageously rude/cruel behavior in the world that the situations I've seen on the show are not that far-fetched.

Oh that was hard to watch. Bless those women, the mothers, the teacher and that young man with the Down's sister who came up all the way down the aisle.

I am sitting here crying.

He was my favorite! I loved how he went up and comforted the guy with DS. I pray my boys are that protective of Logan when they grow up. They are now! ;)