Menu

Why wouldn't raw cream make butter???

I've been making our butter and buttermilk lately. The butter is delicious and we love the things I make with buttermilk (though we don't really like it straight). I've been using the cream from WF.

I finally decided to go out to the dairy not too far away and got some raw milk and raw cream.

I'm shocked at how delicious the milk is!

When I tried to make butter, following my previously tried and true method, it didn't make butter. It did make a heavy whipped cream with a whey more like milk than buttermilk.

Why wouldn't it make butter? It just can't be the pasteurization process! If they had butter at least 2000 years before Christ, I'm feeling pretty sure it should be possible to make butter from unprocessed raw milk.

Shouldn't it?

Traditionally, the cream would be soured before making butter, but that really shouldn't impact the mechanical transformation to butter. I would say colder cream, colder implements, and stick with it longer to make butter...

But you could also try fermenting your cream for a more traditional version of butter.

Actually room temp raw cream turns to butter faster for me than cold. I have a friend who couldn't get her raw cream to break into butter (in the blender) so I had her do a room temp batch and it worked perfectly. On a side note, I can't stand soured butter. Our local Amish sell it that way and I can't stand it. Now you can culture it with a raw yogurt culture and then make it into butter. I'll be trying that soon. Crossing my fingers about that.

I grew up on a farm and we made butter from raw cream. We soured it first and then used a churn. Sometimes, it took a long time to turn to butter, but it always did eventually. I'm not sure why it took longer sometimes - if it was seasonal based on the cows' calving cycle or diet, or what. I hope you have better luck next time.

I have made butter from raw cream for years.

The cream has to be older than 24 hours, 3 days works best. The cream has to be brought up to room temperature. I find if I leave it at room temperature for a couple of hours, it turns to butter faster. Usually takes me about 5-10 minutes with my old wooden churn.

The cow has to have had about a month after having a calf before butter and cheese can be made successfully.(varies between cows)

we take our 1/2 gallon of cream out of the fridge and put it in a sink of warm waterfor 10 min. Shake 4 times thru out the warm up time to make sure it get warm evenly. Then make butter, We make a LOT of butter here every week and this works for us. You want your cream to be about room temp without souring.