Menu

Binding Machine???

Do you do a lot of binding? I just go to an office supply store to have it done. I don't have a lot to bind, though. All I've done so far was my SOTW activity book...I took it apart, 3-hole punched the coloring pages and put them in a 3-ring binder, and took the other part to Office Depot and had them spiral bind it. The only other book I need to do at the moment is an old cookbook.

Do you do a lot of binding? I just go to an office supply store to have it done. I don't have a lot to bind, though. All I've done so far was my SOTW activity book...I took it apart, 3-hole punched the coloring pages and put them in a 3-ring binder, and took the other part to Office Depot and had them spiral bind it. The only other book I need to do at the moment is an old cookbook.

My daughter likes having her own bound workbooks for her copywork that I make and I was thinking about doing MEP and making her own little book. I'll probably do workbooks for TOG as well. It's such much easier than keeping track of loose papers which seem to be great snacks for my little people who are constantly chewing on, tearing, stepping on, and drawing on individual pages. :tongue_smilie: One big bound workbook is easier to keep away from them though!

I have a comb binder. I cannot tell you how much I love it, and how much I use it. It was especially useful when my kids were younger.

I made custom workbooks, mixing and matching pages from various sources, so that they had *one* workbook with all of the various subjects, plus a few "fun" pages mixed in. We could take the workbooks along with us, and the workbook wasn't too thick or overwhelming.

I could also make adjustments as we went along, choosing more pages where more practice was needed, and fewer of things quickly mastered. I could pull pages on similar subjects into a "unit", for example combining pages about "long a" from several different phonics workbooks, with handwriting pages to practice writing "a", and coloring pages featuring things starting with "a". Math pages could be mixed with dot-to-dot pages (to practice counting). "Transition time" between subjects was a non-issue, because they were all in the same book.

I bought mine with a 50% off coupon during a sale. The combs aren't expensive, and can be taken off when you're tossing an old workbook and re-used.

My daughter likes having her own bound workbooks for her copywork that I make and I was thinking about doing MEP and making her own little book. I'll probably do workbooks for TOG as well. It's such much easier than keeping track of loose papers which seem to be great snacks for my little people who are constantly chewing on, tearing, stepping on, and drawing on individual pages. :tongue_smilie: One big bound workbook is easier to keep away from them though!

You will be amazed at all the things that need to be bound once you own a binding machine ;)

Krista

How much does that cost?? I want to do that to my WWE :)

The huge looking thing works like this -

First, you punch the paper in the bottom of it. It makes rectangular holes along the edge of the paper. Then, you put a comb binding - basically a plastic thingy with a long spine and rectangular thingys coming off it that go in the paper's holes - on the sticking-out-pointy-things. You pull the handle to open the binding, then put the paper onto the binding, then release the handle to close the binding. Now you have a bound set of pages. I use cardstock for a front and back cover. The machine shown is expensive, but I have a smaller version that was around fifty bucks.

I got this one on the board's recommendation. I love it. Super easy to use and easy to add or move things around.

I have this one as well. It is smaller than most, but small does not mean flimsy! The proclick is wonderful! It feels nice too, that is important to me. ;) The best thing is that it's super easy to open the binding and add a page or rearrange the order of pages. Love my proclick!

I have this one as well. It is smaller than most, but small does not mean flimsy! The proclick is wonderful! It feels nice too, that is important to me. ;) The best thing is that it's super easy to open the binding and add a page or rearrange the order of pages. Love my proclick!

So the smaller one does spiral binding, and the bigger one does combs with the solid plastic line down the outside? Am I correct?

So the smaller one does spiral binding, and the bigger one does combs with the solid plastic line down the outside? Am I correct?

The proclick is neither. ;) It's spines consist of a solid line on the outer edge, with many rings attached. Each individual ring can be opened with a zipper tool (comes with spines) or your fingers, a pen, a letter opener, etc.

Here's a pic of the spines: http://www.highsmith.com/GBC174-ProClick174-189quot-Spines-85-page-Capacity-c_21704281/

The ProClick lets you open the spine and remove pages really easy. Comb binding doesn't.

The proclick works like a hole punched to put the holes in, and then you snap the binding on and pinch it closed. Then it works like a typical spiral notebook. You can also buy traditional wire binding if you'd rather use it then the click binding they sell. :) It's quite handy!

I have a comb binding system that DH bought back when he thought he would start his own business. I just used it for the first time this year (really I forgot it was in there!)

It was a little tricky at first but I think we have figured it out now.

What size combs do you have? DH only has small ones as his job required him to make small books/presentations.

Also, what do you use for the covers? Do you have a harder plastic sheet?

Where do you order supplies from?

Thank you!,

Dawn

I have a comb binding system that DH bought back when he thought he would start his own business. I just used it for the first time this year (really I forgot it was in there!)

It was a little tricky at first but I think we have figured it out now.

What size combs do you have? DH only has small ones as his job required him to make small books/presentations.

I have 3 different sizes. I absolutely can not stand to have to make copies every week, so I make my boys workbooks for school, containing all the pages they will need for the upcoming year, in the summer. Some workbooks are not that many pages, and others (like the history notebook) require a 1-2-inch comb.

Also, what do you use for the covers? Do you have a harder plastic sheet?

I do use the harder plastic sheets, but then I have boys and they are hard on the workbooks I make them for school.

Where do you order supplies from? Amazon

Thank you!,

Dawn

HTH!

I use cardstock for the covers. (Colored, so we can see it, but not hot pink, because it bleeds onto furniture when wet.)

I have a variety of sizes of combs; you can always use a bigger one than needed but not the other way around, so go larger when you buy. I get the combs and cardstock from Staples, but it's been a while so I can't be sure they still carry them.

I use cardstock for the covers. (Colored, so we can see it, but not hot pink, because it bleeds onto furniture when wet.)

I have a variety of sizes of combs; you can always use a bigger one than needed but not the other way around, so go larger when you buy. I get the combs and cardstock from Staples, but it's been a while so I can't be sure they still carry them.

I buy plastic presentation folders with the inside pockets, use a utility knife to get a clean cut down the seam, and proclick both sides. It works really well, and the inside pockets are very useful.

I got this one for $80 (free shipping and $5 towards combs) and love it:

http://www.bindingmachine.com/P~N~CombMate_Comb_Binding_Machine_CB-120~id~7326.htm

Note that beyond 1" they won't really lay flat, so I keep under 200 pages. I got a selection of combs from 5/16" to 7/8"; my ten year supply of combs (they're also reusable) was about $20. :tongue_smilie:

That site had the cheapest supplies I've found so far -- I got the plastic page covers ($8.59 for 100; same thing is over $20 at Staples) and a bunch of combs (many $3 for 100) and you can get all sorts of colors (besides boring black) at the same price. Better to stock up on combs than order (and pay shipping) later.

As to spiral vrs comb vrs proclick -- comb is a lot cheaper and it's easy. Just don't try to punch too many pages at a time. :D I like that I can "sneak" extra pages in with dcs being none the wiser. :lol: [DD#1 never noticed her math workbook swelled by 20 pages, for example.]

I bind everything -- even make coloring books of blank pages for them so I don't have dozens of sheets all over. Later they can select their favorites and take them out and put them into their "keeper" comb bound art book. [ETA: you can unbind pages later, then just put in a different one; only limit is you have to take all the pages behind the one you want off and plan to add to the back, unless you like rethreading the sheets.]

Edited by ChandlerMom