Menu

Couch to 5K

I just started this program recently. I completed Week 3/Day 1 this morning.

Since W1/D1 I've had a pain in one shin that hurts in one particular spot. It hurts to the touch. It hurts when I'm walking on the stairs and it hurts when I begin running. But this pain isn't anything excruciating that I can't deal with. It's not the "achy, I can tell I've been working out pain" though. I just wonder why it's one spot on one leg.

Beginning on the W2/D3 run my knees began hurting. Today (after 3/1) they are really hurting making it very uncomfortable to use stairs or get up and down out of a sitting position.

How much pain is normal for an overweight person who's never really been fit? I can walk a few miles and be okay but I've never ran or done any regular exercise. I'm wanting to get fit but I'm not willing to sacrifice my knees for the rest of my life just because I started to run, ykwim?

I have enjoyed it so far. I never thought I'd make it past day one and the energy increase I've had is very motivating. Just a little discouraged at the pain.

So, what's normal? ;)

I get sore in my knees and hips after running but it's a muscle workout sore. I *think* that's normal and it usually goes away until my next run. ;) (I'm overweight too, but it's coming off thanks to the running!)

I'm not sure about the shin thing. Do you have really good running shoes? Did you run into a table and hurt it that way?

I think pain symptoms run the gamut. No two people respond to newly running in the same way. It could be your shoes or the need for arch supports. It could also be that maybe you're trying to run too quickly. I find that when I start out too fast, I end up with shin pain and it persists until I stop and rub it out, then slow my running pace. IMO, both knee pain and shin pain sound like bad shoes.

I was doing the same program and ended up with shin splints (pain in the shin). I went to Wally World (WalMart :D) and got some arch supports. The pain was gone.

I have flat feet so that may have done it. I also know I over pronate, or so the athletic shoe salesperson told me :)

I loved the Couch to 5K program when I has a place to run. Now I don't so it is a trial to get to a place I can run.

Try some arch supports and please make sure you have good shoes. It is worth it to spend the extra on a decent pair of running shoes!

My first thought is how new are your shoes? Did you get fitted at a running shoe store? Not just an athletic shoe or sports store. You need a store that is running-specific. They should watch the way you walk and know which shoes would be best for you. They should look at your current shoes to see how you wear them. You should be able to run in them - either around the block or on a treadmill before you decide.

And, expect to spend a lot of money. Good running shoes are around $100.

I know I need a new pair when things start to hurt. Pain isn't normal!!!

If you let it go too long you could end up with a stress fracture. The pain in your knee could be "runner's knee", or it could be from the stress of your weight.

Take your time on the program. When I first started C25k I got hurt, and I got hurt because I didn't listen to my body. I should have taken 2 weeks for every 1 on the program, maybe even more. When I first did it I was 38 and had never been in decent shape in my life. I'm convinced the program is more meant for someone (a guy) who had once been in shape but now is not and is probably around age 30. :001_smile: I was not a lot overweight when I started it, but I had (and still have) very poor muscle tone. I've had lots of injuries, but I'm still going. :tongue_smilie:

Make sure you have good running shoes, and go slowly. Watch your heart rate and don't ignore pain. Stick to walking for a while if your shins and knees are hurting. Add back running slowly. I do believe it's worth it, but you need to be careful.

This past weekend I just ran 13 miles (with walk breaks every 1/2 mile). When I started c2k5 I could barely make the 1 minute. I'm in much better shape now, and running has become enjoyable.

Ah! You've all got me. I didn't think shoes would be *that* important. I'm wearing running shoes (New Balance) that are quite a few years old. I don't wear them all that much but I do wear them when I walk, which is pretty often during the Spring/Summer/Fall.

I will make a trip to the special shoe store. I am almost flat footed. I hope wrong shoes is the problem.

The pain in my knees is just below the knee cap. I didn't have it the first few runs. Today it is not making that "runners high" worth it since moving around is a bit painful!

Thank you all for the advice!

Check out this website for a description of different types of pain most common in runners:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

Then, go to this website:

http://www.kttape.com/

They also have descriptions of types of pain and show you how to tape for that specific injury. It sounds like you need a couple days rest to let your knee heal. But, after that (and getting new shoes), you can try taping to see if that helps. KT tape got me through an AWFUL ITBand issue in the two months prior to my first marathon. I swear by this stuff (well, that and physical therapy! But the tape is cheaper!! LOL).

I started out running in a pair of shoes that was WAY too old. It was horrible. I was in constant pain when I was running. I took a week off and got new shoes and the pain was gone.

:grouphug: Stick with it!!!! I swear it's worth it in the end.

Take your time on the program. When I first started C25k I got hurt, and I got hurt because I didn't listen to my body. I should have taken 2 weeks for every 1 on the program, maybe even more.

:iagree:

Don't overlook this little bit either. Shoes are important, but so is pacing yourself. I get shin splints very easily and I had to spend 2-3 weeks for each week of the program. I'm gearing up to try again this spring/summer, and plan to do the same.

It's OK to double the Couch to 5K by repeating each of the weeks before progressing to the next to make the build-up not as steep. You may be like me, where you need a more stair-step approach v. a straight line method for training. There's all sorts of ways to train, don't worry about being enslaved to the schedule. Adjust it as your body dictates! :)

For the shin, try this. While you are sitting with your feet firmly on the floor, tap your toes. Start with 5x and work up to 10x several times a day. Many runners swear by this seemingly insignificant move to alleviate the onset of shin splints.

If you're not careful you could dislodge things in your knee.. You might want to have your stride checked by a dr and possibly consider a pair of compression pants such as skins. They make a huge difference! Also, avoiding running on blacktop and making sure you warm up properly first could help. If your knee hurts upon return I'd suggest elevating and icing it. :)

I'll be one more vote for allowing yourself to spend 2+ weeks on any given level before proceeding. Not that it has to be easy before you move one, but I think you should give yourself time to master it. I made it through week 4 on the treadmill over the winter, then had to go all the way back to week 1 when I started running outside.

The Cool Running site that has couch to 5K plans also has a stretching routine for post run. That was a huge help for me. In addition to what is on that list, I added some gentle squats with no weight. I worked up to holding the squat position for a few seconds. That can be a good stretch for the shins. But just like the running, expect to work up to being flexible.