Menu

Are the EO's ready for yet another question? ;)

Why are icons all drawn in the same style? They seem... flat, almost, in the way they're drawn. (and I don't mean that in a negative way, just in a discriptive way. they seem sort of medieval to me in their styling) Is this part of "Holy Tradition"? Or is there another reason for it? Can someone paint a picture of, say, the Virgin Mary in a more modern style, and still call it an icon?

I've been curious about this. :)

Since they are to be used as a focus, a modern style would probably make it harder rather than easier to focus? How would you modernise her? Jeans and a veil would make her look like a cute young Muslim and a more 3D style would make her look like a re-enactor, wouldn't it? :confused:

Just bumping, with guesswork thrown in for the sake of conversation...

Rosie

Since they are to be used as a focus, a modern style would probably make it harder rather than easier to focus? How would you modernise her? Jeans and a veil would make her look like a cute young Muslim and a more 3D style would make her look like a re-enactor, wouldn't it? :confused:

Just bumping, with guesswork thrown in for the sake of conversation...

Rosie

LOL, I do mean a more modern *artistic* style. Like could something like this:

holy_one_israel.jpg

be considered icon material.

No, I think that would not work for an icon.

This is a helpful and short article.

http://www.stpauldenison.org/icons.html

Quoted from the article:

Because icons are theological in nature. there is no effort made to be physically accurate in their presentation as you would have in a photograph. Rather the opposite is true, naturalism is absent, perspective is inverse with the vanishing point not in the distant background but focusing in the foreground at the ones looking at the icon, drawing them into it. Icons contain and speak the Gospel truths with images in the light of the Sacred Tradition of the church. They must be distinct from other types of images just as the Gospel is different from all other literary works.

Also, certain colors and symbols are included to represent certain things or people.

http://www.antiochian.org/1103744287

There's a lot more, but I will leave that to those who can explain it more clearly.

Everything about an icon is meant to have meaning or tell a message. That is part of why it is called "writing" and icon, and sometimes "reading" an icon. There is a lot more going on in those images than one would first suspect ;).

Someone already mentioned the foreground and background issues. There are also rules about shadow. When painting an Icon light eminates from inside the person. So, shadowing becomes an issue. Also, as one writer puts it...no precious moment Icons! Think about the white dot reflecting in precious moments eyes, you won't find that in an Icon.

There's a start! There are reasons the people are painted long, I just can't remembmer it all right now.

"Deeper Meaning

After having looked at several icons, one may notice that icons only seem to have a width and a height. Depth, the third (physical) dimension, clearly discernable in virtually all other traditional paintings (not including modernistic or abstract works of art) seems to be absent.

011_mdd_hodiguitria_177x250.jpg

Mother of God Hodegetria

("She who shows the Way")

14th century

The "third" dimension of an icon goes beyond what the eye can see, as it is spiritual. Icons have a profound spiritual meaning. An icon is a Window into Heaven. This Window into Heaven will enable someone who is praying to the person depicted in the icon, to directly connect with that person : our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Most Holy Mother of God, an Angel or Saint (also see The Essential Feature of Icons). Many icons are miraculous as many people who prayed to them were cured of their affliction. An icon is an efficient means for knowing God, the Holy Virgin, Angels and Saints. An icon is not a work of art that only illustrates the Holy Scriptures. It constitutes a confession of religious truths (5).

In view of the foregoing, it can be readily understood that an icon painter needs to be more than an artist. An icon painter, or iconographer as they are commonly called, is a theologian as much as he is an artist (6). Painting (writing) an icon, presupposes, on the part of the iconographer a lifestyle of prayer, meditation and fasting (also see Summary).

Quite simply, icons are truly unique, there is no form of expression in the West that is equivalent or similar to icons."

The Iconoclasm Controversy is also very interresting - lasted almost 100 years after 726.....

There are rules to writing icons (it's called writing, not painting, because it's sharing a message). One has to undergo intensive training to write them.

This. Btw, Roman catholics have iconographers as well. Fr. William Hart McNichols is renowned and respected in both the RC and EO. the icons symbols all have meaning and history behind those symbols.

... An icon is a Window into Heaven. This Window into Heaven will enable someone who is praying to the person depicted in the icon, to directly connect with that person : our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Most Holy Mother of God, an Angel or Saint...

Is the icon the only way to directly connect to Jesus in prayer?

Edited by tntgoodwin
clarification

Is the icon the only way to directly connect to Jesus in prayer?

Not at all! ;) We just have multiple device's! Think telepathy (prayer), Icon (skype), Eucarist (hand in hand), written prayers (poetic sharing).

I'm sure the list could go on, or other examples could be used. That's just what I had off the top of my head (and half a cup of coffee!) :D.