Menu

crazy pet question

So, we have these two chichuhuas that we got after we were robbed. Not house trained, annoying barkers, but the kids are attached. The divorce downsize now has us in an apartment, whereas the dogs used to be able to go out in the yard at will to run around. Of course we take them out, but they don't have to freedom to run around that they used to. I am starting to think it might be better not to have them. And this morning one of them pooped inside and it was a definite bloody stool.....So, how does one get rid of dogs? I would be hard pressed to give them away because they are untrained and, I believe, untrainable. Do we just take them to the animal shelter and say, please take these cute, but obnoxious, dogs off our hands? And what if one of them dies under our watch? What do we do with the body? Living in an apartment is tricksy....help? I never had pets growing up, so excuse my ignorance. I am not cold hearted, just extremely practical.

If its an absolute must, you can just take them to a shelter. My shelter has a drop box, where you can put animals after hours/without coming inside. :(....

There may be someone with a small dog rescue...

I think the dogs are definitely trainable...no offense but I think you just don't know what you are doing with them.

Do you have any idea why the dogs stool was bloody? You may want to call a vet and see what they have to say about it...Check if anything is missing from around the home. Watch the dog closely, s/he may be showing signs of distress and pain...It might be kinder to drop one off at the vet for abondonment...:(

Thanks mom2bee. I definitely don't know what I am doing, and had no idea what was involved in owning dogs when we took these two on. We got them for free at a garage sale. I have no idea what might be wrong, and am keeping an eye out. Thanks for the advice. That is exactly what I was looking for.

but it will likely take work. Find your local kennel club and find out who they recommend for obedience classes-they may offer them there. Classes are to train you to train the dogs. Ask if they will also talk to you about house training and working on the barking in the classes.

I did do rescue and housetrained a lot of dogs-some quite old. It can be done if you are willing to work. also, little ones like that can be litter trained-not unusual for city dwellers in high-rises.

If you really do not want them-look on the AKC website and click on the rescue "button" It will have links to all the national breed club rescues. The rescue contact for your breed will not be local-that is the national chairperson. It is his/her job to help you find the most local person to you.

(Gently) I will try to forewarn you here...you may really come under fire for this post. Just beware. I am not being cruel in what I say below...but you said you really didn't understand, so I am going to do my best to help you see it from the opposite side.

"Getting rid" of dogs because you didn't take the time to train them is irresponsible, at best. Taking them to a shelter puts their lives at risk. Did you crate train them? Did you take them out regularly on a leash and praise them or just toss them out the door and let them back in when the sun went down? If it was the latter, please don't be surprised that they aren't house trained.

AS for the responsible things to do...

Are they neutered/spayed? If not, get them spayed/neutered before you try to adopt them out. At least, then, you know they can't reproduce and add to the surplus population of unwanted animals.

If you find someone who wants them, charge a small fee. Most people who are going to love and care for their animals are going to be willing to pay for them. Those who take "free" animals often don't have the committment to the animal or they get them impulsively without really thinking of what it takes to truly care for an animal for its life.

PLEASE get the dog to a vet for bloody stool. It is likely a parasite - giardia or coccidia come to mind here and it would need meds. BTW Giardia is zoonotic, so if you don't do it for the dogs, do it for yourself and the kids. The animal should NEVER have bloody stool.

Finally, you can start the process of finding them homes by contacting a Chihuahua rescue and go from there. Don't expect a lot of respect from the animal groups you contact. Usually "we don't want these annoying dogs we took on" does not go over well with such individuals. I am not being mean, just trying to prepare you for it.

Best of luck and I really hope for the best for these little dogs.

Hmm, well, you can call your shelter. Or, call a rescue group. Google chihuahua rescue and you'll probably find someone crazy enough to take them. ;) You'd be amazed at the stuff breed rescue people will go through to rehab dogs.

Since they are not mean, it is highly likely they can be successfully rehomed. Potty training is not particularly impossible, even with adults. It can be done. Now, if they were biters, I wouldn't suggest trying to rehome, but potty & noise issues are very manageable.

So, google breed rescue. Also, call your vet and ask for suggestions. There might be a local rescue group that rehomes. (A national breed specific rescue will be the best bet!)

Here is one national rescue for chihuahas

http://www.chihuahua-rescue.com/contact.htm

I am sure there are many more. I found that one in three clicks.

So far as the body if one dies. Well, if I were you, I'd take it to a quiet, pretty place in public park land & bury it. Legally, you can probably throw it in the dumpster, if you are that practical. You can also take it to your vet who will have it cremated for you (for a fee -- probably on the order of $2/lb if you don't want the ashes returned, probably minimum $30 or so. Much, much more if you want ashes returned to you.)

Bloody stools can be a lot of things. Are these guys seeing a vet? Might be time.

(Gently) I will try to forewarn you here...you may really come under fire for this post. Just beware. I am not being cruel in what I say below...but you said you really didn't understand, so I am going to do my best to help you see it from the opposite side.

"Getting rid" of dogs because you didn't take the time to train them is irresponsible, at best. Taking them to a shelter puts their lives at risk. Did you crate train them? Did you take them out regularly on a leash and praise them or just toss them out the door and let them back in when the sun went down? If it was the latter, please don't be surprised that they aren't house trained.

AS for the responsible things to do...

Are they neutered/spayed? If not, get them spayed/neutered before you try to adopt them out. At least, then, you know they can't reproduce and add to the surplus population of unwanted animals.

If you find someone who wants them, charge a small fee. Most people who are going to love and care for their animals are going to be willing to pay for them. Those who take "free" animals often don't have the committment to the animal or they get them impulsively without really thinking of what it takes to truly care for an animal for its life.

PLEASE get the dog to a vet for bloody stool. It is likely a parasite - giardia or coccidia come to mind here and it would need meds. BTW Giardia is zoonotic, so if you don't do it for the dogs, do it for yourself and the kids. The animal should NEVER have bloody stool.

Finally, you can start the process of finding them homes by contacting a Chihuahua rescue and go from there. Don't expect a lot of respect from the animal groups you contact. Usually "we don't want these annoying dogs we took on" does not go over well with such individuals. I am not being mean, just trying to prepare you for it.

Best of luck and I really hope for the best for these little dogs.

Hey Rebecca. You are sort of jumping to some conclusions here that are really not necessary. I realize that this is a sensitive issue and that I might get flamed, but you need to realize that by asking here I am trying to be responsible. Yes, we had them fixed and they were given their shots. No, we did not toss them out back. yes we took them out regularly and praised them. We also paid good money for obedience classes. But I have no more money to spend on these dogs, and, again, have really no experience other than this with which to use to train these dogs. Nor was I planning to divorce when we took them on. I don't know anything about rescues, or AKC's, etc. Those who have done this may not understand this, but I truly have done what I can. thanks for the input.

Hmm, well, you can call your shelter. Or, call a rescue group. Google chihuahua rescue and you'll probably find someone crazy enough to take them. ;) You'd be amazed at the stuff breed rescue people will go through to rehab dogs.

Since they are not mean, it is highly likely they can be successfully rehomed. Potty training is not particularly impossible, even with adults. It can be done. Now, if they were biters, I wouldn't suggest trying to rehome, but potty & noise issues are very manageable.

So, google breed rescue. Also, call your vet and ask for suggestions. There might be a local rescue group that rehomes. (A national breed specific rescue will be the best bet!)

Here is one national rescue for chihuahas

http://www.chihuahua-rescue.com/contact.htm

I am sure there are many more. I found that one in three clicks.

So far as the body if one dies. Well, if I were you, I'd take it to a quiet, pretty place in public park land & bury it. Legally, you can probably throw it in the dumpster, if you are that practical. You can also take it to your vet who will have it cremated for you (for a fee -- probably on the order of $2/lb if you don't want the ashes returned, probably minimum $30 or so. Much, much more if you want ashes returned to you.)

Bloody stools can be a lot of things. Are these guys seeing a vet? Might be time.

Actually, the male is mean, and I am very nervous that he will bite one of these days. Which just doesn't work in a large apartment complex. The idea of taking the dogs to the vet regularly is not something I am comfortable with. Heck, I don't even have health insurance for myself. I just can't see spending much money on the upkeep of dogs which probably don't belong in an apartment. I am going to call a friend tomorrow who has always boarded dogs to see if she knows someone who may want them. Thanks for the input.

Hey Rebecca. You are sort of jumping to some conclusions here that are really not necessary. I realize that this is a sensitive issue and that I might get flamed, but you need to realize that by asking here I am trying to be responsible. Yes, we had them fixed and they were given their shots. No, we did not toss them out back. yes we took them out regularly and praised them. We also paid good money for obedience classes. But I have no more money to spend on these dogs, and, again, have really no experience other than this with which to use to train these dogs. Nor was I planning to divorce when we took them on. I don't know anything about rescues, or AKC's, etc. Those who have done this may not understand this, but I truly have done what I can. thanks for the input.

I don't think Rebecca was jumping to any conclusions. She didn't accuse you of anything; she was just asking questions and trying to help you think through some things. And you did ask for advice. I think she and Stephanie gave you great advice. I hope you are able to find good homes for them. I can tell you feel pretty desperate right now. I've been there (with animals, not a divorce, and it's a crappy place to be!

Life circumstances change, and sometimes we have to make choices that aren't easy. You didn't expect a divorce, you didn't expect to end up in an apartment, and you didn't expect to not have health insurance. I would contact a breed rescue. You also might be able to rehome them (charge a small rehoming fee) on Craigslist. :grouphug:

Our animal shelter has the number of all the rescues and usually the rescue people come and get the animal. Other times purebred dogs are in the shelter and they go very fast. You could also look for someone wanting a chihuaha or two on craigslist. You usually have to charge a rehoming fee. Good luck.

Rebecca was a lot nicer than I'm about to be. I'm probably one of the people she told you to watch out for. Your most recent circumstances aside, it is irresponsible to go into pet ownership by picking up a couple of dogs at a yard sale. Never having owned a dog isn't a valid excuse either. I didn't have pets growing up, but I did a ton of research on pet care, training, and specific breed attributes before I brought any pets into my home.

If you are not willing to put the time into training them (obedience classes only work if you're willing and able to reinforce the training at home) then a breed-specific rescue group is probably the best way to go. Sorry if you feel I'm being harsh, but people procuring pets on a whim and then failing to properly take care of those pets (training is a vital part of properly caring for a dog) is a hot-button issue for a lot of people.

I have some serious training questions-If you answer thoughtfully, I may be able to give some specific advice.

You said you took them to obedience class. for how long? Did you and do you still work with them at home? Did you ask the instructor to give you alternate ways of teaching whatever if it did not work for you as they instructed (some dogs need different methods-just like kids) Did you use food motivated training? I am seriously asking. As an obedience instructor-you need to work just about every day whith the dogs to train then still regularly to keep it fresh. I still make my 13 year old do something now and again. Just like people, some take longer for things to click than others. If you have not been/and are not still working at it-you can't expect much from the dogs.

As for the potty training-how often did you take them out? do you free feed or feed in meals? do they signal when they need to go out in any way-they might be but you are not noticing it-not all dogs bark. What are the dogs doing when not outside? are they running free in the house to go where they will? What do you use to clean it up? How long do they have to wait if you aren't home? All these things are important in housetraining. If all of these things are not considered-then you may not have much success.

I understand you have some difficult life circumstances. Dogs take money and time to be a good pet owner. Are you willing to put in a concerted effort? or are you just looking for justification to give them up. I will help with training advice if you are willing to work. If not-do try the rescue groups. you may need to hold the dogs till they have room. As a pp stated, expect them to be less than chummy with you-I did rescue and it is a thankless, costly, sad job. Dealing with dogs that are surrendered because the owner basicall doesn't want to do the work can leave us less than friendly. Still-they are the best chance the dogs have.