Menu

Simplifying elementary language arts

mazakaal

Is there a program that ties all language arts together? We have separate programs for phonics, grammar, writing, handwriting, spelling, and vocabulary. I think that spelling would have to be separate, but I'd love to have one program that tied all the rest together.

Learn about nouns - definition (grammar), copy the definition (handwriting), think of nouns and put them in good sentences (writing), teach the definitions of a couple of challenging nouns (vocabulary). Another day, read a story (phonics), find the nouns (grammar), tell the story in your own words (writing), copy one of the sentences you composed in your best handwriting (handwriting), learn the definitions of a couple of the more difficult words in the passage you read (vocabulary).

It could even carry on into the middle years. Learn about subordinate clauses - what they are (grammar), throw in a few vocabulary words (vocabulary), use the vocabulary words and a couple of subordinate clauses in a writing assignment (writing), copy your assignment (or a portion of it) in your best handwriting (handwriting).

Does this program exist?

LLATL sounds like it does what I'm looking for, but I've heard from too many people that it's very light.

I hadn't realized that Phonics Road does this. I thought it was just phonics. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.

I'm using Queen's Language Lessons for the Very Young, and though it does integrate a bit, I still need separate handwriting, spelling, vocabulary, and reading. And there isn't enough in the way of writing imo. I'll look at PLL, though. Thanks.

I looked at Phonics Road, and it sounds like it's very teacher-intensive and only for the younger grades. I'm not the OP, but the title of this thread caught my eye.

Does anyone have suggestions for simplifying using a program that isn't so teacher-intensive and that goes through the elementary years? Thanks,

Have you looked Character Quality Language Arts?

http://www.tfths.com/cqla.php

It doesn't include phonics (starts at the 2nd/3rd grade level) but includes grammar, copywork, dictation, vocabulary, spelling, and writing. If you have finished a phonics program (I am not planning to start with boy #3 until third grade when he finishes OPG and ETC.) then you would only need to add a handwriting program.

I want PR minus spelling. Unfortunately I do not think it exists.:glare: I have also heard that LLATL is too light and CQLA just doesn't "fit" what I want. I am trying to create my own at this point. The jury is still out as to whether it will work or be doable long term.

I'm told that CLE LA is complete with the addition of the writing book. I am just starting so I can't say for sure for sure. But it does have spelling, grammar, comprehension, vocabulary. It has prompts to ask about creative writing. I don't have the writing book, we use WWE at the moment.

McRuffy Press does all this. He plans to continue through 6th grade. Right now, K-4th is available. He includes phonics, grammar, handwriting, writing, spelling, and some reading. All there, all good.

LLATL is too light. CLE skips around a bunch and does not cover writing well. If you want the reading portion, it is separate and VERY Mennoniteish.

Is there a program that ties all language arts together? We have separate programs for phonics, grammar, writing, handwriting, spelling, and vocabulary. I think that spelling would have to be separate, but I'd love to have one program that tied all the rest together.

Learn about nouns - definition (grammar), copy the definition (handwriting), think of nouns and put them in good sentences (writing), teach the definitions of a couple of challenging nouns (vocabulary). Another day, read a story (phonics), find the nouns (grammar), tell the story in your own words (writing), copy one of the sentences you composed in your best handwriting (handwriting), learn the definitions of a couple of the more difficult words in the passage you read (vocabulary).

It could even carry on into the middle years. Learn about subordinate clauses - what they are (grammar), throw in a few vocabulary words (vocabulary), use the vocabulary words and a couple of subordinate clauses in a writing assignment (writing), copy your assignment (or a portion of it) in your best handwriting (handwriting).

Does this program exist?

Yes, CLE does.

I looked at Phonics Road, and it sounds like it's very teacher-intensive and only for the younger grades. I'm not the OP, but the title of this thread caught my eye.

Does anyone have suggestions for simplifying using a program that isn't so teacher-intensive and that goes through the elementary years? Thanks,

PR is Not teacher intensive. I use PR with 4 students and use the LR with 3. If the whole of the program was teacher intensive, this family of 8 dc wouldn't use it. :001_smile: Here is a blog post about planning the whole of language arts using PR1 and PR2.

Does this program exist?

The Phonics Road will fit the bill for you. Level 1 will work on handwriting, phonics, spelling, grammar (intro.) and beginning reading (with comprehension). Level 2 picks up to full grammar and continues by adding literature activities (basic analysis), and writing (as in comp, not hand), alongside spelling and dictation.

Here's My Journey to PR

Here's a Day in the Life of PR2

My experience with program started with The Bridge to the Latin Road, then the Latin Road. Finally, I took a peek at PR and it changed our home schooling life....sounds melodramtic, I know, but it is the truth. After using the levels 1-3 (I even went back to PR to aid my Elders in spelling) and seeing a remarkable turn around in our gaps (for my older children) and watching my son take off in reading (he was really struggling and bloomed in reading after beginning PR), I became an affiliate. I believe in this program and find the method and the provisions to make the teacher's life easy, are priceless.

There is a social group here with lots and lots of posts. Additionally, my blog (in siggy) has many posts on typical days, scope and sequence, nice visuals on progression over the levels and even the planning time involved. I'll repeat, PR is Not Teacher intensive. Is it pick up and read a script with no preparations -- no, but it is not strenuous and surely gives you (the teacher) the skills you need to implement a wonderful language arts program.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Spalding (mother of Phonics Road) does it all.:001_smile:

I am interested to know how Spalding teaches composition, literature and vocabulary. I just re-borrowed the old Spalding text from the library to take a second look and am trying to decide between Spalding and PR/SWR.

Maybe I'm way off but I understood the OP's post to be looking for something that ties it all together not just covers it all.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I checked out samples of Primary Language Lessons, and though it seems to cover the various subjects, it doesn't tie them together. I'm still looking at Phonics Road. I'll look at the other suggestions as well. Thanks everyone.

SOW ties all the LA skills to the Bible, rather than to each other, so indirectly they often get tied together, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

But maybe you might be able to tweak a unit study or a literary guide to accomplish what you want. When everything is directed to a single core idea, than all other subjects get closer to each other, as they move closer to the core idea.

It's kinda like the continents at the north pole. All it takes is a little ice, for people to be able to walk from one continent to the other.