Menu

science workbook?

dm379

Science just isn't happening here. It usually consists of either Beakman's World or Bill Nye. :glare: Are there any good workbook type science things to hold us over until I can get it together a little more? Other than Spectrum. Secular please.

Why not grab a lapbook or notebooking pages (maybe even look at currclick for unit or theme books)? Pick a topic. I do not lapbook. We put the lapbook items on cardstock and make notebook pages, but you could quickly find a theme to study while you put something together. :) There are lots of them and unit study books with all of the plans and activities listed, many with worksheets too.

We have the same situation here. I've been thinking of using Evan-Moor's Daily Science- I know that this is not the best science choice but, as my friend pointed out, something is better than nothing, which is currently all they are getting. Barnes & Nobles has a large selection of Evan-Moor products, including Daily Science. I went to look at it & a few other things last week & think it might do for the next couple of months until we start R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey in July. It looks simple, easy, quick- exactly what I need right now!

http://www.evan-moor.com/Product.aspx?SeriesID=201&ClassID=276&CurriculumID=6

Galore Park Jr. Science is something they could do independently... read the chapter/answer the questions. And it would be perfect for 7 and 9 yr olds.

This semester we're using Brain pop for science. It just wasn't getting done... They watch the videos and do the quizzes. I'll focus on science next semester for my older daughter, and my younger one will continue with brainpop/Bill Nye/Magic Schoolbus etc...

We are also loosely using Evan Moor by topic along with read alouds from the library for K. I think Evan Moor can be a good supplement or even a jumping off place for unit topics if science is hard to get to. We honestly only do science about once a week right now, it just isn't high on the priority list but I'm hoping for 2x a week for first grade.

Edited by drexel

I went to Evan-Moor daily science out of desperation this year, and with additional real books and the occasional extra hands-on activity, it's working pretty well. I got MPH for next year, and I hope that it will end up working the same way, but with a higher quality spine.