Menu

S/O Hair Color thread - for gray hair

I am ready to stop coloring my hair. I am 28 and pretty gray already. (Started when I was 16.) I've tried all different store box brands and nothing lasts more than 2 weeks. By 3 weeks, people start saying, why don't you color your hair? :glare: I would love to just STOP because I hate to do this all the time (plus I don't think it's good for my hair, how often I color), but I'm young to be so gray!

Anyone BTDT? What works?

I think if you'll look good gray, you should go for it. I have a friend who has been gray for years (she's in her forties now), and she looks fantastic. I've been coloring my hair for years, too, and believe me, if I looked good gray I'd quit in a heartbeat. I have very sallow skin, though, and gray looks awful on me.

I know people who continue to highlight their hair to soften the transition. Or you could trim it often while you let it grow out naturally. Or you could wear a hat. ;)

When you say nothing lasts more than 2 weeks is that due to your roots showing or the color is wearing off the strands of your hair? If it is due to the later than I don't think you have found the right product for your hair yet.

I would go to a beauty supply store and ask their advice. I get my hair color supplies, Wella Color Charm Liquid Creme Haircolor and 20 volume creme, at Sally Beauty Supply. It is super easy to mix and use, and the color lasts a long time.

Someone told me to try 1 to 2 shade lighter than your natural color. Ask for help and they will tell you which shade to try.

For root touch ups I mix 1 T of the above hair color with 2 T of the volume creme and that makes enough solution to cover roots. I only color my full head of hair 4-5 times a year.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Edited by Ferdie

When you say nothing lasts more than 2 weeks is that due to your roots showing or the color is wearing off the strands of your hair? If it is due to the later than I don't think you have found the right product for your hair yet.

I would go to a beauty supply store and ask their advice. I get my hair color supplies, Wella Color Charm Liquid Creme Haircolor and 20 volume creme, at Sally Beauty Supply. It is super easy to mix and use, and the color lasts a long time.

Someone told me to try 1 to 2 shade lighter than your natural color. Ask for help and they will tell you which shade to try.

For root touch ups I mix 1 T of the above hair color with 2 T of the volume creme and that makes enough solution to cover roots. I only color my full head of hair 4-5 times a year.

I hope you find something that works for you.

I think I'll try this. I don't think the color sticks to my hair, b/c it's not just roots showing. Thank you!

I stopped doing my own hair about 6 months ago and I am so happy. My beautician does it. I used to use Clariol Nice & Easy and that was ok at covering gray, but I just have a lot of hair and really needed to use two boxes of the stuff, but by the time I buy 2 boxes and then the hassle of doing it myself, which I hated, it just made sense to me to have Christy do it for me. So, it all works out great.

Exactly in the same boat. I just got a rather short cut for me and I'm trimming often to get to my "natural" color - something I'm not sure of at all. I tried on my own, went to Sally's and used theirs and even went to a salon and paid tons to get color. Nothing stays more than a month tops.

The beautician was trying to tell me it was the water around here and that is why it seems to just wash away. That might be a good theory if it happens to everyone but that is not the case. I think I just have very resistant gray. Mine also does not just grow out from the roots, it literally fades away. I have just decided to be done with it and it is what it is. I do have a couple of cute Life is Good hats too!

I've recently quit coloring my hair. I have long curly hair and the grays no longer hold color. I refuse to cut it. So far it's not been too bad. The colored portion of my hair is lighter and more red than my natural color. If it starts to look too bad I may put a more natural color on even out the difference.

I'm still working to emotionally accept the gray. I'm almost 44.

I have not colored my hair in five years I have been getting grayer and grayer each year. It started when I was 35, I am no 59. My mother had the light gray hair and so do I, I donot care for the very dark gray hair. a lot of women in my Sunday School class have the dark gray. Also when you wash your hair put some hydrogen peroxide in a glass with water, and rinse , it gets rid of the yellowishness you tend to get with gray hair.

Have you thougth of Henna? I just henna'd my hair and I love it! It conditions as it dyes your hair and is all natural (no chemicals). Mix it up, leave it on your hair as long as you want.

It brings the red in your hair out. My hair was brown with blond highlights and the red is like my brown that went over to the red side of the family -kwim. In other words, it wasn't a HUGE change, but enough that people noticed (and everybody's loved it!). And my hair is so much softer!

I stopped coloring my hair this year, for similar reasons to yours. For a while I did foil wrap color, so that it would partially color the grey. It looked fine, but I was still obviously greying with all the expense and upkeep of getting it colored. I'd been greying for 20 years (started while in college), so I had a significant amount.

Finally, I just stopped. It wasn't too dramatic since the longer hair was only partially colored and faded. I got my hair cut shorter, to get rid of even more of the color. And I worked on improving the substance of my hair, with intense conditioning and gentler cleaning products. It's much thicker and healthier now, and I'm happier with it, too.