Menu

Um, isn't Trig taught anymore in high school?

I just went to our illustrious Dept of Defense school system web site (Germany) to look at math courses. They list Alg 1, 2, Geom, Discrete Math and Calc. Whatever happened to trig? I remember it being a semester course in high school 35 years ago. But maybe sin/cos/tan don't exist any more? Can anyone enlighten me?

jeri

I had been wondering the same thing. I found what looked like some trig (sine, cosine, tangent ratios) in dd's Geometry. I expect the rest will be in Alg II.

When I was in school, advanced math included 1 semester of Trig and 1 semester of something called Analytical Geometry. I don't remember what that included (maybe that was the sine ratios instead of trig?)

Many schools now don't have a course called trigonometry, but integrate it into geometry and precalculus. Precalculus is sometimes called math analysis or advanced math. I looked here:

http://www.dodea.edu/curriculum/math.cfm?cId=courses

and they do seem to have math analysis, although they've decided to call trig functions circular functions. (it's just another name).

I'm pretty sure trig was in my Algebra II course some 35 years ago. It seems like Alg. II doesn't have that many topics to cover -- depending of course on how far you got in Alg. I.

I've also been looking around recently and see trig all over the place. I'm thinking pre-calculus looks like the most solid place to cover it these days (i.e. not a light brush-over)?

Julie

At our public school, trig is taught in both Algebra II and in Pre-calc. In our homeschool, it was not covered in Algebra II, so I did a separate semester course of it. None of my children have had an official "Pre-calc" course. We stopped after Algebra II/Trig.

Ok, so it is now different. But we didn't take "pre-calc"--we took something called Analytical Geom, then Calc.

Wondering since my dd is following the LoF sequence and just finished Alg 2. Now she's on to Geom and I just bought the Trig book off of the board. But he doesn't list precalc, and his sequence is to go directly to calc after trig.

I feel better! Thanks. :)

jeri

When I was in school, advanced math included 1 semester of Trig and 1 semester of something called Analytical Geometry. I don't remember what that included (maybe that was the sine ratios instead of trig?)

This is what I took. The next year, they retitled the class "Pre Calculus" but from what my peers studied -- it was the same class.

It tends to be covered in Alg 2 or Pre-calc these days. I've also seen it in Geometry books.

:iagree: When I was in high school (graduated 1978), I took "Algebra 2 & Trig" in 10th grade, "Advanced Math" in 11th grade, and "College Algebra" in 12th. Advanced Math is now called Algebra 3 or Precalculus in schools around here.