Menu

Math Facts help, please

dcjlkplus3

So we REALLY need to work on math facts with dd9.

I do not want to stop math completely to do that, she is already a bit behind and I don't want her to get more so.

I recorded the facts ("1 times 1 is 1, 1 times 2 is 2, etc") for her to listen to with her memory work. Listening works GREAT for poems, verses, speeches, but it does not seem to be working for math facts.

I am thinking a of starting a small notebook or composition book with various ways of doing the math facts - in other words - I think she might need to write them out :001_smile:.

I will do some pages with lists (1x2, 1x3, 1x4), some pages with families (6x5=30, 30/5=6, 30/6=5), maybe some pages with skip counting, and some random single digit mutiplication and/or division problems.

I do NOT especially want to do computer games for this.

What has worked for your family?

Any ideas?

I am NOT a math drill mommy. At all. But dd 10 hit a brickwall around 3rd gr when we hit multiplication/division. I thought she'd outgrow it:) Now, at age 10, we're still stuck. She's great with concepts, but is really hindered by those facts. So, it was time for me to change my tune. So far, this method is working great for us -

1. I print out 100 problems from MathFactCafe.com using a small segment of facts we need to learn (right now we're doing 3's, 4's, and 5's. Next we'll add 6's)

2. I set the timer for 10 mins and give dd a multiplication chart.

3. When the timer beeps, she's done. Our goal is to get those 100 problems done in about 5mins.

4. Once she hits 5mins and can do it without the chart, we'll add in 6's (and then 7's, and then 8s, and then 9s. And then we'll start on division. And then we'll do a mix:)

You can see her current times on my blog (under Weekly Review). We've been doing this for 2 weeks, and she's already stopped using the chart for 3s 4s and 5s AND has dropped completion time from 10 mins to 7-8 mins. When we began, she couldn't get them all done in 10mins (had about 12 leftover). So that's really good progress! I'm encouraged that this CAN be done! Dd is a "thinker" personality that tends to go rather slowly with things. One more thing: I hear over and over again that the kids that have their facts mastered and can work their facts quickly usually get farther ahead in math concepts, too! I was hesitant to focus so much on facts when we are so far behind overall. I'm also having her go quickly through a 3rd gr workbook (again, I set a timer) just to keep us moving ahead and reviewing what we've already learned. The work is easy for her, but by the time we hit multiplication in the workbook, she'll already have a good number of facts memorized and can zoom through it easily.

Note: dd 8 was frustrated by the above method, so I have her doing Math Trainer for 5 mins. The timer is set for you and stops you when time is up.

I use math fact cafe too. I just plan on doing it every spring. Usually I wait until we have finished some other subject, so our day is a little more open any way. Then depending on the grade and child I would have them work on facts eventually getting to 100 facts for each of the operations in 3 min. But that means the first year might be more like only + and - in 5 min.

I also will post lists by the toilet and on the fridge (you have to read the list to open the door ;)). A list to read everytime we get in the car also works well (at least during baseball season when we go somewhere much more then during our normally scheduled life).

I just re-read your message, and what you're thinking reminds me of what a friend did. She had her son write out the xs facts 3xs daily, starting with the easy facts and working up. My kids balked at that (writing? gasp!) so we didn't last long at that:) But it worked brilliantly for my friend's son. I like your idea of keeping a notebook and having your child write facts & skip counting daily. If your child learns well by writing, then this method would work well!

We're moving into studying/memorizing number bonds and times tables over here. I got School House Rock from the library, but we're also saying the tables everyday (LilGal and I).

I also wrote out the numbers for 12 places (1...40, to do the 3 times table til 12) and have her circle the multiples of 3 and skip count the circled spots. ("3, 6, 9, 12....) and then I have her place 3 small beans on each circle while saying the fact.

3 times 3 is nine *places 3 beans on the 3rd circle on her times table mat.*

When my son was young and getting help, a resource teacher told me he would have to write each fact 220 times before it would stick.

Multiplication and some of the division facts can be taught as a system instead.

Times 2 is a double. Divde by 2 cut the number in half.

Times 3 is a double plus the number.

Times 4 is a double plus a double. Divde by 4 cut the number in half twice.

Times 5 count by fives. Divide by 5 count up by fives to the number.

Times 6 is times five plus the number.

Times 7 is times five plus a double.

Times 8 is times four plus times four. Divde by 4 cut the number in half three times.

Times 9 use the fold under the finger method. Divide by 9 use the fold under the finger method.

First you should see if she understands the concept of multiplying. Review the Singapore Math books to make sure. It starts as early as 1B.

I didn't think my 7yo was ready for the times tables but in Singapore Math 1B they introduce adding groups and she caught on really quickly (four bananas in three baskets).

So I thought about getting a program just for times tables for the near future and I read about Times Tales. Their web site lets you download a part of their book. It uses mnemonic devices in stories to help you remember the harder to remember times tables. It seems a little strange to me but it seems to work according to the reviews.

Another option: Timez Attack it's a free download

First you take a pretest and then star the game. Your "person" goes through a dungeon or palace and solves times tables while collecting keys and meets a troll to see if you recall what you learned. You go through the whole place and end it by reviewing all the times tables.

I am not into computer games for learning at all but I found about this one from a blog and checked it out simply out of curiosity. I didn't even think my 7yo would be able to do it, but when she caught on it was simple for her - she has a basic understanding on the multiplication process. I only let her play once in a while. The first time she played she by the end she knew the 2s and 3s times table.

It might not be what you're looking for, but maybe it's worth looking at.