Menu

How do YOU prepare for a Homeschool Conference?

Every year I see these ladies at the Cincinnati conference with such excellent ideas that I think "I wish I would have thought of that". Since this conference is only getting bigger (I call it the Mega-Conference), I need to be better planned. So please give me your best ideas! (MOST QUESTIONS ARE NOT CINCINNATI CONFERENCE SPECIFIC)

1.)How do you carry everything with you while your at the convention? Be specific. Do you use a rolling cart, backpack etc...

2.)What do you have on you at all times?

3.)If you bring food, how do you keep it fresh over the weekend? What do you bring specifically?

4.)How do you ensure you get the most out of the speaking sessions?

5.)If you eat out while at the Cincinnati Convention, what do you avoid? Where DO you eat at? (I love Chipotle!)

6.)Any additional tips?

These are very good questions! I just attended my first convention (Memphis), and most of these are on my "lessons learned for next time" list. :D

1) I had no idea that I would need a bag/cart for all the catalogs, brochures, books, etc. I wondered why in the world everyone had these rolling carts, and then I strolled through the exhibit hall myself. :lol: Thankfully, one of the vendors was giving away bags! Next time I will bring a huge, heavy duty bag.

2) I always kept my notebook (for workshops), the homeschool conference schedule, my vendor hall plan, curriculum prices, etc. in my bag. Each night I would take out things I had accumulated throughout the day, and lighten my load to start again! ;)

3) I did not bring food, and wish that we had. The food in the convention center was not good quality and very expensive. DH and I were floored at the prices. We expected it to cost more, but were pretty stunned that a hot dog cost $5 and a canned drink was $3. We shared a lot of quick snacks and ate real meals later. We also got things from the vending meals, which were cheaper. All in all, this was the worst part. I was so ready for a decent meal! Next time, I will bring snacks for our hotel room, and maybe even a portable fridge/cooler and plan for sandwiches, etc. Even the hotel food, which was better quality, was quite expensive.

4) I planned ahead of time by thoroughly reading the workshop descriptions, and researching speakers I did not know. I made a workable schedule with the "must sees" and "would like to sees". I knew ahead of time I could not do it all, and would probably make a couple of bad picks (for me) my first time. I also purchased 5 CDs of seminars I did not/could not make. For instance, Jessie Wise was not able to be there, but they were able to supply previous recordings. And one speaker's flight was delayed. So be prepared for changes.

5) I can't speak to Cincinnati obviously, but we did go out a couple of times for meals. Unfortunately, the Marriott/Convention Center is not super close to downtown, so there was a bit of travel involved. The main thing is be prepared with addresses and directions.

6) I learned the some of the rooms were incredibly cold. Bone chilling cold. At one point, I turned to DH and told him I wished I had brought some long johns. :lol: Even with pants, long-sleeved shirt, and a jacket, it was almost unbearable. So go prepared for cold, or hot!

1. I use a rolling cart. Sometimes a stroller if I have DD3 with me.

2. Nothing really specific....just my cell phone, a snack, and a notebook to jot down something I think I may want to come back and look at.

3. We bring food because it's usually our whole family that attends. There's usually a small fridge in the room. But on the way down, we just use a cooler.

4. I have yet to attend an actual workshop or speaking session and I've been attending for 3 years now. Guess I should probably try to attend one this year LOL.

5. Not Cincinnati, but we attend the FPEA one in Orlando. There's LOTS of places to eat in Orlando. But we also do things like make subs in the room, so that we do not have to leave the hotel.

6. Additional tip? Bring lots of money LOL.

1.)How do you carry everything with you while your at the convention? Be specific. Do you use a rolling cart, backpack etc... After 2 conferences without one, we finally broke down and bought a rolling cart last year. Loved it.

2.)What do you have on you at all times?spiral notebook for notetaking during lectures, schedule, pencil/pen, purse with usual content

3.)If you bring food, how do you keep it fresh over the weekend? What do you bring specifically? We brought snacks and lunch food. We made sandwiches every morning and packed them and drinks in a small, soft-sided cooler that we put in our rolling cart. HUGE money saver! That conference food is pricey. We went out for dinner at a restaurant after the conference was over (not Cincinnati)

4.)How do you ensure you get the most out of the speaking sessions?Careful planning. Reading and rereading the conference schedule to decide what we most wanted to listen to. Sometimes DH and I would go to the same speaker, and sometimes we separated if we were both interested in different things and then compared notes atferward.

5.)If you eat out while at the Cincinnati Convention, what do you avoid? Where DO you eat at? (I love Chipotle! N/A

6.)Any additional tips?

I'll second the previous poster's comment about the rooms being cold! I almost always forget a jacket on the first day and it is SO uncomfortable.

The first time we go into the vendor hall, we just stroll up and down the aisles without really stopping. The second time through, we start looking for the subjects and curriculum we're interested in (we make a list of what subjects we need to look at and what programs we're interested in before we go). The magnitude of the vendor hall seems less intimidating if we know what we're looking for and how the vendors are laid out.

These are very good questions! I just attended my first convention (Memphis), and most of these are on my "lessons learned for next time" list. :D

1) I had no idea that I would need a bag/cart for all the catalogs, brochures, books, etc. I wondered why in the world everyone had these rolling carts, and then I strolled through the exhibit hall myself. :lol: Thankfully, one of the vendors was giving away bags! Next time I will bring a huge, heavy duty bag.This is the first convention I've been to where I saw so many of those rolling carts. I asked a lady where she got them. You can get a cheap version at Walmart or Big Lots. Then there's Sams. I gotta get me one. She said she also uses them for each kid's curric. at home!

2) I always kept my notebook (for workshops), the homeschool conference schedule, my vendor hall plan, curriculum prices, etc. in my bag. Each night I would take out things I had accumulated throughout the day, and lighten my load to start again! ;) Ditto

3) I did not bring food, and wish that we had. The food in the convention center was not good quality and very expensive. DH and I were floored at the prices. We expected it to cost more, but were pretty stunned that a hot dog cost $5 and a canned drink was $3. We shared a lot of quick snacks and ate real meals later. We also got things from the vending meals, which were cheaper. All in all, this was the worst part. I was so ready for a decent meal! Next time, I will bring snacks for our hotel room, and maybe even a portable fridge/cooler and plan for sandwiches, etc. Even the hotel food, which was better quality, was quite expensive.

Oh so ditto! The $3 soda made my jaw drop! If I had it to do over I would definitely bring food. The list they were giving out of local eateries was out of date for the one we decided on! So we lost time and went hungry for awhile. Check for yourself online if possible or ask hotel staff for a recommendation.

4) I planned ahead of time by thoroughly reading the workshop descriptions, and researching speakers I did not know. I made a workable schedule with the "must sees" and "would like to sees". I knew ahead of time I could not do it all, and would probably make a couple of bad picks (for me) my first time. I also purchased 5 CDs of seminars I did not/could not make. For instance, Jessie Wise was not able to be there, but they were able to supply previous recordings. And one speaker's flight was delayed. So be prepared for changes. I did not have time to do this, but great idea.

5) I can't speak to Cincinnati obviously, but we did go out a couple of times for meals. Unfortunately, the Marriott/Convention Center is not super close to downtown, so there was a bit of travel involved. The main thing is be prepared with addresses and directions. Yup. Only the 30 minute breaks do not allow enough time for lunch. So bringing a small cooler is the best choice for lunch.

6) I learned the some of the rooms were incredibly cold. Bone chilling cold. At one point, I turned to DH and told him I wished I had brought some long johns. :lol: Even with pants, long-sleeved shirt, and a jacket, it was almost unbearable. So go prepared for cold, or hot!

Yeah, I had one or two that were cold.

More prep ahead of time regarding vendors would have been a good idea. A plan is a good idea. Too bad I am not good at that sort of thing!:lol:

I missed at least one speaker per day from driving in circles because my map was not helpful and from trying to find parking, and 1/2 of others from not enough time between sessions for eating or looking at vendors.

Don't know the cure for that, though.

Lakota

1.)How do you carry everything with you while your at the convention? Be specific. Do you use a rolling cart, backpack etc...

3.)If you bring food, how do you keep it fresh over the weekend? What do you bring specifically?

5.)If you eat out while at the Cincinnati Convention, what do you avoid? Where DO you eat at? (I love Chipotle!)

6.)Any additional tips?

This is just my second time going, and it'll be the Cincinnati conference. I am going to get a rolling cart, so I can bring my laptop (among other things) and not have the heavy weight to carry around all day. I will probably bring bottled water too, and anything I can think of so I don't have to go back to my room for anything all day. I accidentally reserved rooms at the Hilton instead of the Hyatt, because I thought it was the Hilton that was kitty-corner from the convention center. :glare: Too late to change now, unless we want to pay $50-80/night more.

Food--I will admit what dh and I did last year. We ordered a couple of pizzas Friday night for supper, and had plenty of leftovers. We put the box on the air conditioner, cranked up the air, and covered it all with towels and pillows to create a cooler of sorts. Then we had cold pizza in the morning for breakfast.

I got the most out of the sessions where I was able to take notes with my laptop. This year I will have it with me for all sessions, hopefully, and always look for a place I can plug in to recharge.

Edited by gardening momma

I'll just speak about #5 because that's where I eat while I'm at the convention. If you go out the huge doors by the registration and walk across the street and keep going there is a courtyard with food establishments around the perimeter and there is a chipotle. It's easily walked to from the center.

I got the most out of the sessions where I was able to take notes with my laptop. This year I will have it with me for all sessions, hopefully, and always look for a place I can plug in to recharge.

What a good idea! I don't know if I want to lug mine around all day though. I'm opposed to those rolling cart things because I've been banged by them one too many times at festivals and non-hs conventions :tongue_smilie:

What a good idea! I don't know if I want to lug mine around all day though. I'm opposed to those rolling cart things because I've been banged by them one too many times at festivals and non-hs conventions :tongue_smilie:

I found I was able to get 2x the notes compared to writing by hand. It was terribly heavy to carry in a bag on my shoulder. It's one of the main reasons I'm getting a rolling cart (I'll be careful!). But I'll also be packing snacks & stuff, jacket, etc.. in it.

I have brought a duffel in the past and checked it...this way we can store our coats (winter, MN conferences are chilly...too cold to walk back and forth from the centers to the hotel or car) and any books we pick up. Many moms bring a rolly-suitcase which would be quite handy!

I have a messenger bag with water, a few snacks, notebook, convention brochure and a book to read. Along with my normal purse stuff (wet wipes, advil, kleenex, yadda yadda)

I bring a small cooler with at least lunch for the first day. I hate buying EVERYTHING when we are out...so usually if we go for two days, we'll have breakfast before, lunch packed and dinner out. The next day we'll usually have the complimentary bkfst at the hotel, either lunch out or another sandwich packed and dinner out or at home depending on when we leave.

Many hotels have fridges but if not, I refresh ice in the cooler from the ice machine.

Notebooks, relax :) If you really feel like it was an amazing speaker, buy the CD or tape afterward. I've never felt the need. If it's more of a technical speaker I'll jot notes and usually they'll have a handout. If it's more of a life speaker I relax and just enjoy the hour.

Can't help you here! I'd probably do a Chipotle, Noodles or similar for lunch, but DH and I (and sometimes friends we meet up with) enjoy going out for a sit-down dinner the first evening to chat.

6.)Any additional tips?

Make a list of potential curricula if you have thoughts and hit the used sale first. I personally wouldn't buy curricula I hadn't considered purchasing prior to the conference as I'd hate to be disappointed when I got home. It's worth the extra few dollars to come home and think about it once the whirlwind was over!

Don't feel like you need to hit every class under the sun. I love taking an hour or two off here or there to decompress, chat with dh, eat a sandwich, stroll through the halls a few times, etc. I dislike the frenzied pace and feel like we're in another world as we take things in slowly. The only place I put pressure on myself is the used curric. hall- I try to buzz through there for what I need and then go back later to stroll and browse. :)

Have fun!

Do most conventions allow rolling carts and strollers?

We have two conventions in our area and neither one of them allow carts or strollers. They are so insanely crowded that I can't imagine even trying to get through with either. The last local convention I went to, it was hard enough getting through the crowds with a backpack on. :tongue_smilie:

5.)If you eat out while at the Cincinnati Convention, what do you avoid?

I missed this the first time...

I would avoid the Tower Place mall food court at lunch time, particularly if any of the restaurants there are offering free food. Last year, Chic-Fil-A was giving out coupons for a free chicken sandwich at lunch time (Friday or Saturday, can't remember). Dh and I went, but the line was soooo long. And most of the other restaurant lines were long too. I got into the Subway line, which wasn't too bad compared to some of the others. Just after I got in line, other people realized the Subway line was "short" and came over. There was hardly anywhere to sit. You had to wait for someone to leave their table and then grab it before someone else did. I don't know what time we were there, but I know we booked it from the convention center to the food court as soon as we got out of our convention session.

Edited by gardening momma

We have two conventions in our area and neither one of them allow carts or strollers. They are so insanely crowded that I can't imagine even trying to get through with either. The last local convention I went to, it was hard enough getting through the crowds with a backpack on. :tongue_smilie:

Cinci (Midwest) allows carts and strollers, but not double wide strollers.

DH grew up in Cinci, so that is the food that we tend to crave when we're half way around the world and can't get it.

Izzy's Deli is one of my downtown favorites. We often go there when we're going to the downtown library. It might be a little far for lunch, but maybe for dinner afterward? The portions are pretty big and I think they have the best potato pancakes ever. I think the Elm St store is probably closest.

I've also eaten at the Rock Bottom Brewery in Fountain Square. It has typical micro brewery prices, but pretty good food.

If I were going with dh and no kids and staying downtown, I'd be tempted to just skip meals during the day and then hit the Brazilian restaurant Boi na Braza. That would be a date night level meal, but I don't get many with dh. And since I need to not eat lunch before dining there, it would be perfect. :D Probably need to make a reservation if you're eating there on a weekend evening.

Many large ones do not. Rolly suitcases can be wheeled in and checked right away but aren't to be rolled around the center.