Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week ten

I started "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother." I have some choice words to say about Chua. Namely, she is a bigot. I'l post reivews on my blog later on this week.

Can't wait to read your review. I've got that on my list of books to read...but maybe not after I read your review. ;)

I also finished A Reliable Wife (my review is here) and I don't know if you could pay me to read it again.

I have picked up that book a few times to look at it, but never actually checked it out or read it because I wasn't sure I'd really like it. I'm starting to think I was really right to skip it.... :tongue_smilie:

I enjoyed A Reliable Wife; it's certainly a unique story. You may still want to give it a try, Stacia, and decide for yourself!

Regards,

Kareni

Excerpt:

CELESTINA: Ever since I've got old my best job at table has been pouring out the wine. Because when you handle honey some of it's sure to stick to your fingers. And there's nothing better to keep you warm in bed on a winter's night. If I drink two of these little jugs before retiring, I don't feel cold till morning. I line all my clothes with it when Christmas comes. It heats my blood and saves me from falling to pieces. It keeps me cheerful when I'm about my business, and fresh and brisk as well. So long as I've plenty of wine in the house I shall never fear lean times. As for bread, a mouse-nibbled crust keeps me going for three days. But wine dispels the sadness of the heart better than gold or coral. It gives energy to the young and strength to the old. It puts colour in pale cheeks, heartens the coward, and bucks up the lazy. It comforts the brain, drives chills from the stomach, sweetens the breath of the congested, makes the impotent virile, gives tired reapers the strength to continue their labours, makes men sweat out their reheums, cures catarrhs and toothache, and travels sweetly by sea, which water will not do. It has more virtues, let me tell you, than you have hairs on your head. I don't know anybody who wouldn't rejoice to hear them. It has only one fault indeed: that it's expensive when it's good and when it's poor it harms you. So while it's good for the liver it's bad for the purse. But with all my troubles I always get the best. For I don't drink much; only half a dozen cups at a meal. You can never get me to take more, except when I'm a guest as I am today.

PARMENO: Everybody who's written on the subject says that three cups is a good and honest ration.

CELESTINA:That must be a misprint, my son. It should be thirteen, not three.

:lol: Once again, Sharon, you have made my day. Thank you.

I hope you enjoy it. Have you read "The Remains of the Day" by Ishiguro? It's so wonderfully written too... just fabulous, imo.

No, I"ve never read any of his work. I keep hearing good things about his writing and I'm looking forward to picking up a book or two of his.

Negin- I remember a friend of friend of mine from VA who grew up very wealthy in the south saying she and her friends would drop acid in the living room after school while their black maid just dusted around them. I'm a yank, born and bred and I just thought that was creepy. The Help rounds it all out! Love it. And the voices (characters) that Stockett developed...just beautiful.

Yes, that IS creepy and absolutely horrible :ohmy: ...

The Help is fabulous. I hope she writes more, despite the lawsuit.

Chua- phew. I'm liking her more as the book is going on but oy vey. She's got some pride issues dancing the flamenco.

I fear that reading her book would raise my blood pressure, even though I don't have a blood pressure problem. :glare: She would be enough to give me one. :banghead:

Yes, that IS creepy and absolutely horrible :ohmy: ...

The Help is fabulous. I hope she writes more, despite the lawsuit.

I haven't heard about the lawsuit! IF it was mentione here, I apologize, but in order to try to keep my reading list down I sometimes just skim over titles right now and don't read all the glowing reports. However, I did accidentally see one yesterday when I glanced at Jane's comment on something someone and now have an old Spanish novel on hold:glare:;).

First time on this thread.. finished two books yesterday. Didn't mean to start them the same week, but I've not mastered the discipline of putting books down when I'm engrossed in them.

Marva Collin's Way, by Marva Collins and Civia Tamarkin. I first heard of her in Gene Veith's book/survey of classical schooling. A common criticism of the classical method is that it is unrealistic and out-of-scope for many students, Gene cited Marva Collin's school as a counter-example that classical ed could be implemented even for students the system dismisses as unteachable. The book is compelling - I wish I had a teacher like her! Or better yet, I wish I could teach like her, but I need to learn ahead of my dc first.

Unplanned, by Abby Johnson. A former Planned Parenthood's director leaves the clinic and joins Coalition for Life. I found the rest of the book thoughtful, showing points from both pro-choice and pro-life camps. Quote: "Are you ready to look through the fence and see goodness, compassion, generosity and self-sacrifice on the other side? .. Did you just feel yourself squirm? If so, welcome to my journey".

Posted reviews of The Help and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and more on Battle Hymn today.

I LOVED Marva Collin's Way. She is such a brilliant educator. She has a second book: Ordinary Kids, Extraordinary Teachers. You might also like Rafe Esquith's books.

I enjoyed reading Unplanned as well.

Edited by laughing lioness

I finished "Emma" by Jane Austen late Thursday night. Thoroughly enjoyable!

My favorite quote: "To youth and natural cheerfulness like Emma's, though under temporary gloom at night, the return of day will hardly fail to bring return of spirits. The youth and cheerfulness of morning are in happy analogy, and of powerful operation; and if the distress be not poignant enough to keep the eyes unclosed, they will be sure to open to sensations of softened pain and brighter hope."

Also, said by Emma: "I always deserve the best treatment, because I never put up with any other..." :lol:

Actually, there were many more favorite quotes. :D "Emma" is the 6th book we have read for our Jane Austen Lit Study with my dd and her friends and I believe it is my favorite so far!. Of course we have saved "Pride and Prejudice" for last, so that will change. ;)

13. "Emma" by Jane Austen

12. "Turtle in Paradise" by Jennifer L. Holm

11. "It's a Jungle Out There!" by Ron Snell

10. "Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian" by Rick Riordan

9. "Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier

8. "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman

7. "The Diamond Throne" by David Eddings

6. "Adam and His Kin" by Ruth Beechick

5. "Persuasion" by Jane Austen

4. "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" by Stephenie Meyer

3. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C.S. Lewis (carried over from 2010)

2. "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

1. "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

In Progress:

Where the Indus is Young

Drawing A Likeness (Graves)

Inner Fish

A Guide to the Birds of East Africa

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

Grave Mistake (Ngaio Marsh)

Bloomability - young adult, nice

Sense and Sensibility - for the umpteenth time

A Rulebook for Arguments - this is a great book - it answered my questions about writing a persuasive paper

Study is Hard Work

Reader and Raelynx

Starfarers

Transition

Metamorphosis

Nautilus - 5 books of vacation fluff - Could do without the graphic bits, although they were easy enough to skip. The Starfarer series is a bit strange in spots and R+R was a bit too close to straight romance, but not so bad that I didn't finish it.

Creating Textures in Pen and Ink with Watercolor - guess there is a lot more black than I thought

Paying the Piper - more vacation reading

Imaginative Realism - Wow!

-Nan

I just finished Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier. I love the movie, but had never read the book before. Very descriptive quality to the writing. I really enjoyed it; read it all in one sitting!:001_smile:

I loved this - read it as a teen. I might get it for my dd in a few years' time. Thanks for the reminder. In Britain, we saw it as a very well-made mini-series.