Menu

How long after ...... (female content)

How long after one has a 7-10 day late period (which followed a positive pregnancy test) can one test again to verify that the pregnancy (if there was one) has ended? I.e., how long do the pregnancy hormones that cause a positive test hang out? TIA.

I don't know the exact answer, but once I got a positive test and a few days later, I took it again, mainly bc I was still a bit shocked. The second time, it was negative and I began bleeding a day or two later. So I suppose it really depends on how high the hormones were to begin with and how far and fast they may have dropped. Do you have other symptoms of mc?

I have also experienced a postive test that was very faint when my hormones weren't multiplying fast enough...resulted in mc.

Thanks much. I don't know what "other signs" of miscarriage there are this early, other than bleeding. In the "old days" I might have just thought this was a late period, you know? (Not a miscarriage.) I had two positive pregnancy tests last Saturday, started bleeding on Tuesday (enough to imagine that it's probably over) and still am bleeding a little bit. Part of me wants to take another test to "prove" it's over -- but I don't know if it's too soon.

Thank you for the hugs. I have the option of having an ultrasound in a few weeks if I need to, for now I think things are what they are, and I'm just interested in taking a pregnancy test to verify what I suspect. But I don't want to waste emotional energy and money if it's too soon.

It's possible for things to continue on fine this way. Or if not, pg hormones can hang around for up to 6 weeks. The longest I have had it take was 3 weeks. But I was told that a home hpt shouldn't be considered accurate for 6 weeks. A blood test would be better.

I bought these, just so that I could take one whenever I wanted without feeling guilty.

Yep, I buy these in bulk, too! I used my last one last Saturday, and have more on the way. :-)

I can't imagine the pregnancy is still there -- it seemed/seems like a regular period. If it is, I would only be about 5.5 weeks. If I get queasy, or don't start in another month again, I'll go have an ultrasound.

:grouphug::grouphug:

With my m/c it took six weeks to get my hcg down to where a pg test would pick it up. (I was 14 weeks pg when I m/c).

Not to give you false hope, but with Ana (my last baby) I bled quite a bit throughout the whole first trimester. Three times I was bleeding and passing clots and cramping to the point I was convinced I had m/c. It turns out the placenta was over the cervix and it didn't take much to set me to bleeding. It's really hard not really knowing. :grouphug:

Some pregnancies continue despite early bleeding, so it might be worth it to check it or have the doctor take a look. Do take care!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My sister miscarried early (heavy bleeding, no doubt it was a miscarriage) only to find herself shocked and still pregnant weeks later with a surviving twin. Nathan is 21 now. You never know.

:grouphug::grouphug: