Menu

Do we have any hair stylists here?? (pics included)

I have naturally curly hair, as pictured here to show texture and type:

hairaftercutinJuly.jpg

It used to look like this:

Long.jpg

But then, I stupidly thought it would look better shorter :glare:

Birthday.jpg

Now, I could wait for it to grow out, but that seems to happening *very* slowly... it could be because I am older now, or maybe it's cause I am not longer getting preggo every couple of years, so no more prenatals :( In any event, I was thinking about Callie's new haircut on Grey's Anatomy, pictured here:

Callie.jpg

The problem I am having is I am not sure her curls are like my curls, so I don't want to end up anymore poodle then normal... LOL I'd love to have longer looser curls, but that would require relaxing them, and with me already having to dye my grey, I pause at doing anymore chemical stuff to my hair. I have pondered going back to bangs, I had them when I was younger but I have had some people tell me no :confused: I thought they looked cute, but I haven't had them for quite some time. When my hair was longer having no bangs looked good, now though I think it makes me look more severe, older, and my forehead looks too big??

So anyway, I hoping to get some advice before do anything else that I'll be stuck with for awhile.

ETA: yes, I know I need to get those eyebrows done too... :\

I am no hair dresser, but I can tell you that your hair will probably NOT look like Callie's without a relaxer. You probably won't be able to do bangs either because they will just curl up on your forehead. I really really like your hair in the 3rd picture you posted! It is very flattering! I think your hair is gorgeous!!!

Edited by Nakia

I am no hair dresser, but I can tell you that your hair will NOT look like Callie's without a relaxer. You probably won't be able to do bangs either because they will just curl up on your forehead. I really really like your hair in the 3rd picture you posted! It is very flattering! I think your hair is gorgeous!!!

What about a flat-iron?? I am not sure how much time that would take, or how bad it is for your hair...

What about a flat-iron?? I am not sure how much time that would take, or how bad it is for your hair...

I don't know much about flat irons. My hair is curly, but not nearly as curly as yours. I gave up blowing it out straight several years ago. I say embrace the curls!!!

I'm not a hair stylist, but my SIL has really curly hair too. She does her hair similar to the picture you posted of the hair style you like with the exception that her hair is longer. To achieve the style, she just rolls it (while damp) in large rollers and sits under a dryer until her hair is dry. After that she takes the rollers out and her hair is like that picture. You don't need to relax it in order to straighten it out. You could use a flat iron. If you start it at the top of the strand of hair and wrap the hair around the flat iron as you pull your hair through it, it will straighten the tight curls and give you a little body at the same time. The longer you hold it in your hair, the more tight the curls will be. The width of the flat iron will determine the curls as well. The wider the plates, the looser and bigger the curls will be, the smaller, the tighter. :) HTH. I'm sure you'll get a lot more answers and suggestions soon. :)

Guest zobemum

ooh this one I can help with !! I am brand spankin new here and have all kinds of questions but for this I have an answer !! I am a hairdresser. I know you said no chemical stuff HOWEVER.... a keratin smoother is NOT a relaxer . it does remove 100% of your frizz and 75% of your curl . That will make you have WAY softer curls. last 3-5 months (longer if you shampoo less) and use the approved products. They are great I do them often to my clients . promise!

and bangs will be no problem.

I'm not a hair stylist, but I went to school with Sara and I don't remember her hair being super curly. I remember it being thick and shiny with a bit of a wave to it....

So cool!! She is one of my favorite characters... I love her spunky attitude :)

ooh this one I can help with !! I am brand spankin new here and have all kinds of questions but for this I have an answer !! I am a hairdresser. I know you said no chemical stuff HOWEVER.... a keratin smoother is NOT a relaxer . it does remove 100% of your frizz and 75% of your curl . That will make you have WAY softer curls. last 3-5 months (longer if you shampoo less) and use the approved products. They are great I do them often to my clients . promise!

Oh yes, I've heard about those Keratin treatments, but they're so expensive. But the results are gorgeous I agree. :) Welcome to the boards btw. :)

Oh yes, I've heard about those Keratin treatments, but they're so expensive. But the results are gorgeous I agree. :) Welcome to the boards btw. :)

Oooo, expensive... not sure I can do that :( We are a homeschooling family of... well count 'em :) LOL With only one breadwinner, I can't do expensive :(

:iagree:

My hair is loosely curly/kinda wavy, like the actress you posted a pic of.... and I long for *real* curls like yours. I think it looks great!

Really?? I always wanted those looser, more romantic, sexy lookin curls... LOL I feel like a poodle :lol:

My daughter is a hairdresser. She looked at your pictures. First she agrees that shorter looks great on you.

The cheapest and best way to get the look of Callie is to have a hairdresser straighten your hair with a flat iron, and layer it so that when you decide to use the flat iron, it will look correct. And when you choose to leave it curly, it will still look okay.

There is a product you can buy that you apply to your hair before flat ironing it. It will be called "Flat Gel" or "Super Straight". And invest in a GOOD flat iron such as Paul Mitchell or Chi. Expensive, but worth every penny.

I think you look good :0)

My daughter is a hairdresser. She looked at your pictures. First she agrees that shorter looks great on you.

The cheapest and best way to get the look of Callie is to have a hairdresser straighten your hair with a flat iron, and layer it so that when you decide to use the flat iron, it will look correct. And when you choose to leave it curly, it will still look okay.

There is a product you can buy that you apply to your hair before flat ironing it. It will be called "Flat Gel" or "Super Straight". And invest in a GOOD flat iron such as Paul Mitchell or Chi. Expensive, but worth every penny.

I think you look good :0)

If I do this, will the humidity in TX kill it?? I hate to go through all that and the expensive flat-iron for the TX humidity to kill it :(

If I do this, will the humidity in TX kill it?? I hate to go through all that and the expensive flat-iron for the TX humidity to kill it :(

Let me preface this by saying that my hair is naturally straight, but started getting the slightest bit wavy after having my kids, but when I straighten my hair with a flat iron, it holds until the next time I wash it. I live in South Florida so the humidity is ample here as well. I don't know how it would be with very curly hair though.

I have very wavy hair, though not as curly as yours. It holds a flat ironing just fine in humidity as long as it doesn't get wet. (I use a Chi and it does make a difference.) Flat irons are brutal on hair, though, and curly hair is dry to begin with. I color, as well, to cover gray. My concession is to wash my hair only twice a week, blowing it dry (as straight as I can) and then flat ironing or using a curling iron to put loose curls in it.

All that said, if my curls looked like yours, I'd keep 'em.:D

I have very wavy hair, though not as curly as yours. It holds a flat ironing just fine in humidity as long as it doesn't get wet. (I use a Chi and it does make a difference.) Flat irons are brutal on hair, though, and curly hair is dry to begin with. I color, as well, to cover gray. My concession is to wash my hair only twice a week, blowing it dry (as straight as I can) and then flat ironing or using a curling iron to put loose curls in it.

All that said, if my curls looked like yours, I'd keep 'em.:D

Have you ever used Moroccan oil?? It's wonderful for the hair. I dye my hair as well, every 4 weeks or so and my hair is very long (down to my butt) so the ends can dry out. I use Japanese Camellia oil (mixed with my conditioner) in the shower and comb that through and rinse and after towel drying my hair when I get out of the shower I put the Moroccan oil and comb it through. It leaves my hair strong, healthy, soft and shiny and really protects it in spite of all that I do to it. My hair looks as healthy as it did before I ever dyed it. I also use a heat protectant spray whenever I flat iron it. HTH. :)

Have you ever used Moroccan oil?? It's wonderful for the hair. I dye my hair as well, every 4 weeks or so and my hair is very long (down to my butt) so the ends can dry out. I use Japanese Camellia oil (mixed with my conditioner) in the shower and comb that through and rinse and after towel drying my hair when I get out of the shower I put the Moroccan oil and comb it through. It leaves my hair strong, healthy, soft and shiny and really protects it in spite of all that I do to it. My hair looks as healthy as it did before I ever dyed it. I also use a heat protectant spray whenever I flat iron it. HTH. :)

Thanks for the rec! I've not ever heard of Moroccan oil.

Your hair looks great shorter and in order to achieve a similar look, you might think about round brushing it rather than flat ironing it. You can use a large round boar bristle brush and invest in a good blow dryer. Round brushing it will give you the smoothness and volume like the picture has. Flat ironing only straightens the hair, unless you bump (curl) it at the end. I also would recommend good professional hair products that will help you smooth out your hair along with protecting it from the heat. I am assuming your hair is naturally curly so it will take some time and effort on your part to get that look.

I have been a stylist for over 15 years, and I can say that when I started doing hair everyone round brushed, as time has gone on most all stylists I know only flat iron hair. I guess I am old school because I feel that flat ironing everyones hair is not the ideal. Some benefit from a good blow out with a round brush. Some women of course benefit from a good flat ironing too. It really depend n the effect you like. I like big soft hair, and every time I get a haircut now I leave looking like a wet duck, LOL from only being flat ironed.

Thanks for the rec! I've not ever heard of Moroccan oil.

You're welcome honey. I'm happy to be of any help. :) I don't know if it comes in different sized bottles or not. I've only ever seen the big one. I think it's 3.4 ounces?? I get mine from drugstore.com. It's $40.00, but it lasts FOREVER!! I've had my bottle for probably 2 or 3 years and even gave my mom half of my bottle and I still have plenty left and use it every time I wash my hair. :)

Oooo, expensive... not sure I can do that :( We are a homeschooling family of... well count 'em :) LOL With only one breadwinner, I can't do expensive :(

From one curly girl to another and for the above reasons, embrace the curl. You could do the hairstyle pictured, but how much time do you want to spend on your hair?

I have very thick long curly hair. Anytime I try to do anything unnatural to my hair it fights back.

Your hair is adorable and if you use a pick to pull out the curl a little it would look a little looser.

If you haven't read Curly Girl, I'd recommend it, even if you don't use their method of hair care.

There is a product you can buy that you apply to your hair before flat ironing it. It will be called "Flat Gel" or "Super Straight".

dancer, would you mind asking your daughter for more info on these products? I found a whole line of products (shampoo, conditioner, serum, etc) called Super Straight by Pureology, and Stick Straight Super Strength Smoothing Gel by Graham Webb. Just wondering who makes the Super Straight she is referring to? And I can't find anything called Flat Gel at all.

My hair is not quite as curly as the OP. I have a flat iron and that works well but it's time consuming and I worry about damaging my hair, so I thought I would try it in velcro rollers a few times a week.

Thanks!

Sorry to hijack--but I'm interested in this Zobemum. Is this something that can be done at home to save $$? Since going through 'the change' my hair has become way curly underneath and straight on top. I am a low maintenance gal and it is driving me nuts because it either has be be straightened or curled to look even presentable. I wear it in a ponytail everyday now--because i just don't have time for that!

If there was a way to straighten the curly parts without damaging my hair I am all over that.

Thanks for sharing more detail if you can on the budget-friendly options with this!

BTW OP--I see why you like the haircut in the picture and think it would be very flattering on you--but think it would be time consuming to fight that curl everyday. I think your curls look great!