Menu

Glamour Girls ~ make up question for you

With age I wear less and less to now no make-up. However, I'd like to get back to wearing only a tad bit every now and then.

No more department store make-up....it's overpriced. So, years ago I bought L'Oreal and believe I'll go back to it to get a few things.

In the L'Oreal line today I saw foundation and glow....both are "mineral" based.

Foundation came in: liquid, powder and souffle (I kid you not)

Glow: powder (or at least that's all I saw which makes sense b/c it is a glow)

Due to time factors, cost and not wanting to "paint" a picture on my face, but wanting it to look au natural, I've decided not to buy foundation. Is that a good choice? I like the idea of a glow "au natural" look. Then maybe a little eye makeup and lip.

For lips, of course, there is the standard lip stick. I like the lip gloss idea. There are so many colors to lip gloss that I'm confused. Is lip gloss part lipstick and part gloss?

Ideas, preferences for foundation vs. "glow" and lip "stick" or gloss"?

Thanks!!

Its a moisturizer that they put a tint in like a foundation, but its a lighter coverage, you can also get an spf in it, which is most important.

I think Aveeno has them and many other OTC brands, you just look for tinted moisturizer.

I'm 40 with dry skin, I prefer foundation. Even the name brand mineral powders looked dry and powdery on me. Drugstore foundations I like are True Match (CG?) and the long lasting Maybelline. Essential for me is to blot moisturizer on to my skin with my hands when I'm FINISHED my makeup to take away and powerdery/dry-looking areas and also to give me a "Dewier" look.

Definitely try a tinted moisturizer. As a side note, if you have a favorite moisturizer that works great for your skin, you can make your own by mixing in a little of mineral foundation that matches your skin tone. It is light and nourishes the skin. I prefer a tinted moisturizer with just a little bronzer on the cheeks and sometimes across the eyes. The one thing I never leave home without wearing is mascara though. Lip gloss is good for a natural glisten to your lips.

Is the "tinted moisturizer" a new name for "foundation"? When I watch qvc on tv it seems they promote this all-in-one product....which is more of a glow.

You know, I have a cold right now and not making sense.

My skin (in the 50's crowd here) is dry, but not excessively so.

Is the "tinted moisturizer" a new name for "foundation"?

No, foundation is still foundation. Tinted moisturizer is a moisturizer that has liquid foundation in it. It's good for a one-step product if you don't need much coverage. I usually mix my liquid foundations with moisturizer to cut the thickness of it. It feels like I have nothing on my face when it soaks into my skin and evens out my skin tone and covers imperfections. :)

My skin (in the 50's crowd here) is dry, but not excessively so.

If your skin is dry, I'd stay away from powder foundations. They can make your skin more dry and flakey. I have combination skin and powder foundations even give me dry patches. :eek:

I think a tinted moisturizer would be a really good way to go for you, or if you have a liquid foundation that you like, you can mix it with your moisturizer and make your own. I like the Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer because it gives you a little glow and it has SPF in it too. :)

The new Physician's Formula mascaras are really nice too. I usually have a hard time with mascaras because of some ingredient that seems to be in all of them (even high end ones) that I'm allergic too, but that one didn't make my eyes itchy and red. :)

A cream blush (Maybelline makes one I think L'oreal too) would look really pretty too if you're using a tinted moisturizer or a liquid foundation. That with a little lipstick and maybe a neutral eye shadow palette (Wet and Wild has some nice ones) and your mascara and you would look lovely. :)

No, foundation is still foundation. Tinted moisturizer is a moisturizer that has liquid foundation in it. It's good for a one-step product if you don't need much coverage. I usually mix my liquid foundations with moisturizer to cut the thickness of it. It feels like I have nothing on my face when it soaks into my skin and evens out my skin tone and covers imperfections. :)

If your skin is dry, I'd stay away from powder foundations. They can make your skin more dry and flakey. I have combination skin and powder foundations even give me dry patches. :eek:

I think a tinted moisturizer would be a really good way to go for you, or if you have a liquid foundation that you like, you can mix it with your moisturizer and make your own. I like the Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer because it gives you a little glow and it has SPF in it too. :)

The new Physician's Formula mascaras are really nice too. I usually have a hard time with mascaras because of some ingredient that seems to be in all of them (even high end ones) that I'm allergic too, but that one didn't make my eyes itchy and red. :)

A cream blush (Maybelline makes one I think L'oreal too) would look really pretty too if you're using a tinted moisturizer or a liquid foundation. That with a little lipstick and maybe a neutral eye shadow palette (Wet and Wild has some nice ones) and your mascara and you would look lovely. :)

Oh, OK. Well, I'll need to reconsider. I just thought the pinky "glow" would suffice, but it sounds like b/c of dryness of skin, I would need a tinted moisturizer. Knowing the t.m. is a moisturizer/foundation combo....am I right to assume there is NO pinkish glow like a blush. When you say glow you are referring to an overall or "even" glow that would even out my skin with the foundation part in the t.m?

Oh, OK. Well, I'll need to reconsider. I just thought the pinky "glow" would suffice, but it sounds like b/c of dryness of skin, I would need a tinted moisturizer. Knowing the t.m. is a moisturizer/foundation combo....am I right to assume there is NO pinkish glow like a blush. When you say glow you are referring to an overall or "even" glow that would even out my skin with the foundation part in the t.m?

When I was talking about the "glow" I was referring to the effects of the Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer. It has skin brightening ingredients in it that really make your face look healthy and lovely. I just use the regular moisturizer though. It will just add a healthy glow anywhere you put it on your face. I haven't tried their tinted ones so I can't comment on those. I usually squeeze one pump of that out onto my fingers and add 1-3 drops of my liquid foundation and then just rub my fingers together to mix them and then just apply it to my face with my fingers. When it all sinks it it just looks like really nice healthy skin. :)

The foundation should match your natural skin tone so if your skin is indeed pinkish then yes you should get a foundation to match your skin so that it looks natural when applied and matches your neck, but it should look like your skin only more flawless and even toned.

Blush is just to add color to your face and accent your cheek bones. :) You can use cremes or powders whichever you prefer. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

I thought this sad "Gilmore Girls" and I got all excited.

My bad.

//backs out slowly

:lol:

Quick question: apologies if this has already been asked? I'm a very low-fuss, low-maintenance type. Does tinted moisturizer have to match your skin perfectly, like foundation? I hate foundation. I don't wear any make up whatsoever, except for the occasional lip balm. I used to wear LOTS - sort of like Tammy Faye Baker. :lol:

I thought this sad "Gilmore Girls" and I got all excited.

My bad.

//backs out slowly

:lol: :lol: hehehe

:lol:

Quick question: apologies if this has already been asked? I'm a very low-fuss, low-maintenance type. Does tinted moisturizer have to match your skin perfectly, like foundation? I hate foundation. I don't wear any make up whatsoever, except for the occasional lip balm. I used to wear LOTS - sort of like Tammy Faye Baker. :lol:

Ideally it should match your your neck so that once it's on it looks seamless. You really don't want a visible line of demarcation between where your moisturizer ends and where your neck begins, kwim?

A tinted moisturizer is just what it says. It's mainly a moisturizer with a little bit of color. The coverage is typically pretty light (although this varies depending on which tinted moisturizer you choose) which makes them comfortable to wear, but make no mistake it does have a color so you want it to match your natural skin tone. Does that make sense?

Get the foundation and skip the "glow". Put on some mascara and a light pink or nude lip gloss and see what you think.:001_smile: If you want some eye shadow, light brown is universally flattering and not too "made up".

I don't get enough coverage with tinted moisturizer, but I do apply a good moisturizer with an SPF before putting on any make up.

Edited by texasmama

A tinted moisturizer is just what it says. It's mainly a moisturizer with a little bit of color. The coverage is typically pretty light (although this varies depending on which tinted moisturizer you choose) which makes them comfortable to wear, but make no mistake it does have a color so you want it to match your natural skin tone. Does that make sense?

Thanks :). I guess I'll skip. I'm really very low maintenance.

I am in my 50's and use Everyday Minerals, some of their formulas have moisturizer in them.

I wash with plain water, used a wash cloth to exfoliate. Use complex 15 moisturizer on my face day and night.

My skin is very smooth, hardly a wrinkle. There are days I do not wear makeup, even to church and people tell me how great my skin is.