Menu

Can I ask this here?

swimmermom3

Sorry.:blushing: I thought asking about Texas's current debate over concealed weapons on campus was a viable conversation for a college board but was unsure if it was too political. Since there were 30 views and no responses, that means "wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole." So this morning, Cowboy Bob and I will have a meaningful discussion on the WSJ article. Actually, I will pour forth my concerns and he will listen while keeping a wistful eye on the milk in my cereal bowl.:tongue_smilie:

I'd rather weapons weren't allowed on school campuses. And I graduated from Va Tech. I don't think allowing weapons on campus would have lessened the carnage there as I doubt many students would have taken one to class "just in case." Instead, I think there's a greater chance of issues from typical teen and early twenty "issues" (love lost, too much to drink, etc). The real chance of risks outweighs the sleight chance of good IMO.

Sorry.:blushing: I thought asking about Texas's current debate over concealed weapons on campus was a viable conversation for a college board but was unsure if it was too political. Since there were 30 views and no responses, that means "wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole." So this morning, Cowboy Bob and I will have a meaningful discussion on the WSJ article. Actually, I will pour forth my concerns and he will listen while keeping a wistful eye on the milk in my cereal bowl.:tongue_smilie:

And how did Cowboy Bob enjoy your soliloquy?

My own concern is about the fact that more and more students are arriving on campus with severe mental health issues. This is obvious to me in my work, but the data seems to back up my observations -- there was a study out about this recently. On the one hand, I do want students to be here who fifty years ago would not have had the opportunity because autism wasn't properly understood, or because ADD / ADHD were not understood and could not be managed with medication. Of course I want those students here. On the other hand, it is hard having to deal with so many students who have so many dire needs. I run a concert hall. My job is to make sure chairs and music stands and microphones get on and off the stage. This week I had to set up the symphony alone because one of my students just spaced out, and another was in the heath center (again) with anxiety issues and a third has overpracticed at the flute (compulsive, type A issues) and has damaged her wrists and can't lift or do strenuous work. I am dependent on work-study staff, and if they are constantly missing work or in the health center, as has been the case this year, it makes my job very hard. The faculty are generous about the challenges that they face, but I know that the environment is increasingly difficult for them, too, but no one seems to want to talk about how to deal with the shifting issues in the student population.

Last year my oldest daughter befriended an unstable, likely sociopathic young man who reacted badly when she didn't want to take their relationship to the next level. He found out she'd had a phone conversation with her ex-boyfriend and became violent, eventually attempting to hang himself off her sixth floor dorm room. Come to find out, he has toyed with the white supremacy movement in the past and has access to firearms. I believe the weapons-free campus saved her life. He wasn't crazy enough to premeditate shooting her, but I'm certain he could have followed an impulse if he were in the right frame of mind (and under the influence of the right substances).

Shudder.

Last year my oldest daughter befriended an unstable, likely sociopathic young man who reacted badly when she didn't want to take their relationship to the next level. He found out she'd had a phone conversation with her ex-boyfriend and became violent, eventually attempting to hang himself off her sixth floor dorm room. Come to find out, he has toyed with the white supremacy movement in the past and has access to firearms. I believe the weapons-free campus saved her life. He wasn't crazy enough to premeditate shooting her, but I'm certain he could have followed an impulse if he were in the right frame of mind (and under the influence of the right substances).

Shudder.

Oh my gosh, Barbara!! That's just awful! Your poor dd! Is she okay? I would think something like that would be very traumatizing. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh my gosh, Barbara!! That's just awful! Your poor dd! Is she okay? I would think something like that would be very traumatizing. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It was a really bad year. She also had a rollover accident in my van the semester before, among other things we're trying to forget. She has come far, but I think she suffers from PTSD or something similar and really needs counseling. Try getting a college kid to make time for that, LOL Thanks for asking :) Seriously, every time I hear about guns on campus I want to vomit.

Barb

nm

Why'd you erase your message? I tend to agree with you on so many things and I'd have loved to see your response personally. :D We're all adults here. I'd probably even "survive" if we disagree on this issue, but my hunch is that we agree. "I" wouldn't want to be in a classroom (esp high school!, but college too) knowing emotional kids could be carrying in a weapon!

Shudder.

That's a perfect (unfortunately true) example of my fears. I hope your daughter is ok. :grouphug:

And how did Cowboy Bob enjoy your soliloquy?

My own concern is about the fact that more and more students are arriving on campus with severe mental health issues.....the data seems to back up my observations -- there was a study out about this recently....The faculty are generous about the challenges that they face, but I know that the environment is increasingly difficult for them, too, but no one seems to want to talk about how to deal with the shifting issues in the student population.

Boy, that is a difficult issue.

I recently read that over 50% of incoming freshman have "some kind of pre-diagnosed condition". This is not including the students who arrive at college and develop issues.

It can't possibly be all due to genetics. I think our society today, with the lack of cohesion and direction for youth, has disenfranchised so many people that of course one can't help but develop some kind of neuroses/dysfunction/anxiety. Years ago we all knew our place and the rules of society in which we lived, and however much we may not have liked it, there was a certain security in the structure of it all. Now everything is flexible, malleable, changing to-to-day, which would create insecurity in even the healthiest of adults.

I agree: there is a huge, unanswered question facing us: the dilemma of accommodating so many diverse individuals, each with a specific need. A society must function as a unit, or it will fail.

My dd's mental health declined the longer she was in the public school system. At first we (parents) thought something was wrong with her, that she was unable to adjust to and accept the artificial world of housing 2800+ teenagers in one enormous box. And then we saw her high school world for what it truly was: a place where students where students ranked one another according to how much they drank/drugged/partied/had sex/stole/fought/lied....well, you get the picture. Once we removed our dd from that world she began to recover, mentally and spiritually. Unfortunately, many of the students arriving at college haven't had the opportunity to (in 1980's psycho-lingo) "self-actualize".

I think guns on campus is a bad idea, but that's based on my feeling, not on any reliable statistics on crime vs gun control.

Rather than deter crimes like the VA shooting, it might have the opposite effect. My observation is that most perpetrators have a death wish, anyway.

Makes me shudder.

Why'd you erase your message? I tend to agree with you on so many things and I'd have loved to see your response personally. :D We're all adults here. I'd probably even "survive" if we disagree on this issue, but my hunch is that we agree. "I" wouldn't want to be in a classroom (esp high school!, but college too) knowing emotional kids could be carrying in a weapon!

I erased because, on 2nd though, I was hesitant to open the discussion after the consensus had seemed that it should NOT be discussed. Not it seems as if we ARE discussing it. What I wrote was simply:

As a faculty member, I sometimes have to deal with disappointed and angry students. I shudder to think that I have to confront *armed* disappointed and angry students.

I would like to add:

In the situation of a classroom shooting it would be a nightmare having several armed people firing across the room... it would be chaotic, especially if it is not immediately clear ALL who the original shooter is.

There must have been armed people present at the recent shooting in Arizona which did nothing to prevent the tragedy- the shooter got finally overpowered by unarmed people.

As a faculty member, I sometimes have to deal with disappointed and angry students. I shudder to think that I have to confront *armed* disappointed and angry students.

I had a hunch our thoughts would mirror each other (on more than what I quoted, but especially with what I quoted).

Let me preface this with saying I'm a gun owner, former military member, who has had a concealed carry permit in the past. (Just to establish my bias.)

I think the population of most college campuses would be ready to exercise a right to responsible gun ownership about a week after that population has demonstrated an ability to handle alcohol responsibly and within legal restrictions.