Menu

I wish we had stickies for this.

Can we make a list here of the different Alg I choices along w/ descriptions, maybe, & what kind of person would like/dislike that program?

I'm sorry--I have no idea where to start looking, & I'm overwhelmed at the idea. When I started hsing, I just did whatever SWB said to do. After a couple of years, I realized we really didn't have the same taste, even if I LOVED her philosophy. (Iow, I can't just whip out WTM & call it good.)

:bigear: Thanks, guys.

I've only used two different Algebra I programs and I liked them both.

Jacobs Algebra

This is a solid text that's been around for a long time. The material for each lesson is pretty short, typically just 1-3 pages. Each less has 4 problem sets. The first problem set is review problems and there are usually three of them. The second and third sets are identical, just with different numbers. This allows you to assign one for homework and then have an identical problem you can assign if it turns out that your kid didn't get it the first time around. The fourth set is a brainteaser problem. I think most people either skip these or use them for extra credit. I assign the 1st and 3rd sets. I used the 2nd set problems as backup for when I discovered that my kid really didn't understand it the first time through. The answers to set 2 are in the back of the text and I found it annoying to have to flip back and forth to check the answers. The answers to sets 1 and 3 are in the teacher guide (which really isn't much more than an answer key).

Kinetic Books

This is my favorite high school math program. It is computer-based. Most of the problems have immediate feedback and most of those have some type of stepped help available. At the end of each unit there is a page of end-of-unit problems that are to be done on paper. There is an answer key (no solution guide), but it is only for the odd problems. The odd problems are more than enough to assign. Each chapter is broken down into multiple units. Each unit will have practice problems with immediate feedback after each concept. At the end of each unit there are paper&pencil problems. There is a chapter summary at the end of each chapter along with a chapter test that has immediate feedback. There's also a standardized test practice (with immediate feedback) after the chapter test. There are cumulative reviews every couple of chapters. The only cons with this program are that it doesn't have a solution manual, so if you can't figure out how to work one of the end-of-unit problems, you don't have somewhere to look it up and that it can't really be resold. This is a rigorous program. Algebra I really and truly covers all the standard Algebra I content and even goes a little beyond. Algebra II really and truly covers all the standard Algebra II content and goes a little beyond.

We've used many algebra programs in our home:

1. NEM (good for good math students, probably need a mom who is fairly math savvy, esp. if using levels beyond those with the solution manuals).

2. Lial's Intro. Algebra (used by 8th grade ds who is/was very math adept. Requires a good reader who isn't overwhelmed with a college level text or number of problems. The text is speaking to older students).

3. LOF Beginning/Adv. Algebra (used by 7th/8th grade son who is very math adept. Went well with Beginning, but Adv. was a struggle due to the volume of reading. He decided he just wanted a regular math book. I would suggest that this works well with a younger student or an older student who is perhaps intimidated in math).

4. Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach (this was used by my son who isn't as inherently math adept as his brothers. He is still very good, but not at their level. He has slight dyslexia and dysgraphia. This text has been wonderful because it is a simple white page with black text - easy to read, lots of space to work problems in the book. While many don't want to have their kids work in the book, this son needs to because the re-copying of a question is very difficult for him. The text includes a LOT of practice for each concept, a chapter review, and tests. Each concept is presented separately - small bites with lots of practice)

5. Art of Problem Solving Intro. Algebra (used by my 8/9th grade son after he finished LOF.) Definitely needs a math adept student. If you don't do the online class, I would suggest that a parent needs to be fairly math competent. I love this program.

5. Tried Jacob's Algebra but we didn't mesh with it. I'm not sure what kind of student does well with Jacob's, but Julie in MN posted a thread recently about that topic. Maybe you can reference that for Jacob's.

I have also been researching Algebra programs for my ds. Here's a list of the most popular options I've found on these boards. If you search the boards, you will find many discussions on the different choices.

I have no direct experience with any of these programs but here are some generalizations I've gleaned from reading these forums.

• Art of Problem Solving, Chalkdust, and Foerster's fall in the more rigorous category. Art of Problem Solving in particular is very challenging and uses a discovery approach.
  • Jacobs has a gentler approach and may be a good choice for younger students.
  • Lial is solid, straightforward teaching directly to the student. Some find the text layout a bit overwhelming. Jann on HS boards has many suggestions for using this.
  • Saxon has a spiral, incremental approach which appeals to some and drives others crazy.
  • Teaching Textbooks is popular and seems to work well for many but some feel it doesn't cover as much as other Alg. I programs.
  • Math Relief and Teaching Textbooks are often recommended for students who have struggled in other programs.
  • Thinkwell and Videotext seem to be hit or miss. The biggest complaints are not enough practice problems and the lack of a textbook.

Edited by 3andme

I have also been researching Algebra programs for my ds. Here's a list of the most popular options I've found on these boards. If you search the boards, you will find many discussions on the different choices.

I have no direct experience with any of these programs but here are some generalizations I've gleaned from reading these forums.

• Art of Problem Solving, Chalkdust, and Foerster's fall in the more rigorous category. Art of Problem Solving in particular is very challenging and uses a discovery approach.
  • Jacobs has a gentler approach and may be a good choice for younger students.
  • Lial is solid, straightforward teaching directly to the student. Some find the text layout a bit overwhelming. Jann on HS boards has many suggestions for using this.
  • Saxon has a spiral, incremental approach which appeals to some and drives others crazy.
  • Teaching Textbooks is popular and seems to work well for many but some feel it doesn't cover as much as other Alg. I programs.
  • Math Relief and Teaching Textbooks are often recommended for students who have struggled in other programs.
  • Thinkwell and Videotext seem to be hit or miss. The biggest complaints are not enough practice problems and the lack of a textbook.

This is an AMAZING list--THANK YOU!

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to type out your thoughts, too. I hope this will be a good starting-place thread for others!

Algebra 1. We have used a variety of things with my two dd's (my eldest did it twice, as will my other two.)

Jacob's We tried this first, but my eldest found it boring (probably too gentle for her)

Gelfand's Algebra. I love, love, love this book, but most dc should be at least 13 to do this book due to the long problems. Some of us have the answers in PDF form thanks to a former poster. Great for theory. I should add that dd liked it for 1/3 and after one problem with a very long problem balked, but I wouldn't let that deter anyone because this is a very challenging dd.

TT not my favourite of what we've used. Yes, it's easy to understand and anecdotally there are some reports in its favour, but even though my middle one is doing it at the moment (we already had it when we tried and rejected it with my eldest at one point and this dd likes the humour) it is not as well done as most of the other books we have IMO (please, no flames, as you can see we are using it, but not relying on it.)

LOF We love, love, love LOF. It is a great fit for my dd's. My eldest did Geometry with it, and my middle one did Beginning Algebra before TT (and, yes, TT is easier). The drawbacks to LOF are that 1. there aren't many practise problems in it, so it's best to get the Home Companion (even then the aren't enough practise problems for everyone, although there were for my eldest without it). 2. Your dc need to be able to learn well from reading if they are to do it as it is meant to be done, independently. However, ds is doing the Decimals & Percents book with me since he doesn't learn math just by reading.

Dolciani Structures and Method 1965. My eldest did the entire book and it is a very solid, good Algebra The cons are 1. very difficult to find a TM (not a problem for my eldest who learned almost all of it by reading and was doing it for the second time through) 2. hard to find a solution manual 3. not all copies have odd answers in the back. The best years for this are from 1965-1975, and it's somewhat easier to find the extra books for the later editions in this time frame. I did this on the recommendation of Jane in NC, one of the math gurus (she majored in it in college) on the high school forum).

Lial's. A solid program, and you can get DVD instruction for it. Jann in TX likes this, one of the math gurus from the high school forum. My eldest settled on this one in the end during her first time through Algebra 1.

Foerster's. My middle one was doing this all fall, but is taking a break from it as it is not the best for her learning style, although it has many pluses to it. It's easy to get support books for this.

On my what to get list is Hands on Equations for ds for several reasons. It's great for dc who are starting Algebra 1 young, such as in your case, among other things. I haven't used it, so can't sing praises to it personally, but I plan to use it with ds as I think it will be a better place for him to start. My dd's started Algebra 1 before 12, and I suspect that ds will, too, but if not, it will be at 12.

AoPS. We didn't get this, although I do want to get their Number Theory book for my eldest.

We are not Saxon fans here, and my eldest switched away from Saxon when she got to Algebra, although some love it. If you are trying to decide between Lial's and Saxon, I'd not only read what others here have written, but I'd PM Jann in TX. She used Saxon exlusively (she's a math teacher and even has an online class for homeschoolers, but doesn't ever push that) until her dc weren't able to learn well with this. She can tell you which type of student would do better with Saxon instead of Lial's.

We looked at Chalkdust & VideoText, but they were too expensive for us at the time. I prefer a textbook, though, so would probably opt for the former over the latter. You can get free demo DVDs from the companies.

I realize that I have been on these forums/boards now for some time if you are at the Algebra shopping stage!!!!!

Edited by Karin

These are the two programs we've used this year:

LOF We love, love, love LOF. It is a great fit for my dd's. My eldest did Geometry with it, and my middle one did Beginning Algebra before TT (and, yes, TT is easier). The drawbacks to LOF are that 1. there aren't many practise problems in it, so it's best to get the Home Companion (even then the aren't enough practise problems for everyone, although there were for my eldest without it). 2. Your dc need to be able to learn well from reading if they are to do it as it is meant to be done, independently. However, ds is doing the Decimals & Percents book with me since he doesn't learn math just by reading.

Dolciani Structures and Method 1965. My eldest did the entire book and it is a very solid, good Algebra The cons are 1. very difficult to find a TM (not a problem for my eldest who learned almost all of it by reading and was doing it for the second time through) 2. hard to find a solution manual 3. not all copies have odd answers in the back. The best years for this are from 1965-1975, and it's somewhat easier to find the extra books for the later editions in this time frame. I did this on the recommendation of Jane in NC, one of the math gurus (she majored in it in college) on the high school forum).

I agree on the above. Another thing about LOF, since there are fewer problems in each lesson the child has to switch gears in their thinking. Ds had problems with this which was one reason we did a mastery type program in elementary. He gets math pretty easily, but it's more of a challenge to switch this thinking with each problem. I like the challenge because this is how math is used in real life.

I realize that I have been on these forums/boards now for some time if you are at the Algebra shopping stage!!!!!

Great post--very helpful! As to this part, I'm not really there yet, but I just realize that Singapore runs out after #6, & I know how long I take to read about stuff. I get overwhelmed & panicky, & that's why I started out just taking SWB's suggestions from WTM. It's only in the last year or so that I've really begun to bite the bullet & research.

Ds wants to do Alg early. How early? Eh, we'll see--I'd guess we've got another 2yrs.

These are the two programs we've used this year:

I agree on the above. Another thing about LOF, since there are fewer problems in each lesson the child has to switch gears in their thinking. Ds had problems with this which was one reason we did a mastery type program in elementary. He gets math pretty easily, but it's more of a challenge to switch this thinking with each problem. I like the challenge because this is how math is used in real life.

Fwiw, we're almost done w/ the 1st LoF, & we'll most likely continue w/ it all the way through no matter what else we do. I just...imagine doing something else w/ it. (Something easier for me to grade!)

Great post--very helpful! As to this part, I'm not really there yet, but I just realize that Singapore runs out after #6, & I know how long I take to read about stuff. I get overwhelmed & panicky, & that's why I started out just taking SWB's suggestions from WTM. It's only in the last year or so that I've really begun to bite the bullet & research.

Ds wants to do Alg early. How early? Eh, we'll see--I'd guess we've got another 2yrs.

You may want to take a look at Russian math. My 12 yo did this after SM 6B, and it was the best thing for her. It is harder than SM and they have some cool word problems from time to time that you don't see in SM or CWP. http://www.perpendicularpress.com .

Fwiw, we're almost done w/ the 1st LoF, & we'll most likely continue w/ it all the way through no matter what else we do. I just...imagine doing something else w/ it. (Something easier for me to grade!)

Another thing to keep in mind with LOF is that after pre-algebra there are many more lessons. The beginning algebra has 108 lessons, so if you're melding it with another curriculum keep that in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind with LOF is that after pre-algebra there are many more lessons. The beginning algebra has 108 lessons, so if you're melding it with another curriculum keep that in mind.

What do you mean--are you saying it's too much to combine w/ another curric?

One of my concerns in all of this is book keeping for high school credit. I'm not sure if I'll assign credit for Alg I or not, but...some of these programs have books & titles that are, imo, hard to interpret. Does 3yrs of NEM = pre-algebra, Alg I, & Alg II? (It doesn't look like it, but I can't tell. I don't know math well enough to translate a TOC into a course title. Maybe I need to learn those things; I don't know.)

We use Foerster as our main text and supplement with Singapore Discovering Mathematics level 2 this year. I chose Foerster because I wanted to follow a more traditional math sequence, algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2,...etc.

While I think Foerster does a thorough job introducing algebra 1 topics, I find its depth lacking. I have been picking out some challenging problems from Discovering Mathematics for ds to work on. Those problems force a person to really think and apply what he learns, not just use formulas or pluck in numbers.

We are going to finish Foerster in a week, and I plan on using AoPS Intro to Algebra chapter 1-13 after that before we do Geometry. If I could do it over, I'd go with either Discovering Mathematics or AoPS. If you have a strong math student, be sure to check them out.

One of my concerns in all of this is book keeping for high school credit. I'm not sure if I'll assign credit for Alg I or not, but...some of these programs have books & titles that are, imo, hard to interpret. Does 3yrs of NEM = pre-algebra, Alg I, & Alg II? (It doesn't look like it, but I can't tell. I don't know math well enough to translate a TOC into a course title. Maybe I need to learn those things; I don't know.)

Jennifer on Singaporemath.com has a post that breaks down the NEM books so that you can know what to put on a transcript. For my oldest, though, I just called it Algebra 1 and 2 and geometry. He went from 3B/4A to concurrent enrollment in College Algebra/Trig so I just used the CC transcript for the upper level courses and didn't really worry about NEM other than just Algebra 1 and 2 and geometry.

One of my concerns in all of this is book keeping for high school credit.

This is my issue as well. My oldest will be moving to Foerster's Algebra I next year. He has done well with Singapore but I just wasn't sure how the integrated math would work on a transcript and I liked what I saw in Foerster's. This way I know I can put Algebra I on a transcript and not have to worry about anyone saying otherwise.

What do you mean--are you saying it's too much to combine w/ another curric?

Not necessarily. However, if you do 180 days of school and you spend 108 days on LOF you may feel overwhelmed if you add another full program. Add in a few off days (as in you crawl into your closet with chocolate days) you could feel behind quickly.

LOF can be a full program for the year. I know with the other books at 30-40 lessons they are easier to use as a supplement.

I haven't seen the Keys to Algebra series, but that would be a good one to meld with LOF. We chose to use a few chapters of the Dolciani books, because I have way too many algebra resources on hand. :lol:

Not necessarily. However, if you do 180 days of school and you spend 108 days on LOF you may feel overwhelmed if you add another full program. Add in a few off days (as in you crawl into your closet with chocolate days) you could feel behind quickly.

LOF can be a full program for the year. I know with the other books at 30-40 lessons they are easier to use as a supplement.

I haven't seen the Keys to Algebra series, but that would be a good one to meld with LOF. We chose to use a few chapters of the Dolciani books, because I have way too many algebra resources on hand. :lol:

Ah. I see. Is it really strong enough to stand on its own? I've only seen the first one, &...I can't tell where it's going. I think it's GREAT, & ds loves it, but we have "Fridays w/ Fred" & I don't check his work for that book.

I think grading LoF would make me batty.

coming in late:

For a student who is really good at math and loves math, I can highly recommend Art of Problem Solving . Scope and difficulty is way beyond the traditional math text, which makes it a great fit for an accelerated student who begins higher math at a young age.

After much debate and much research, we are going with TT followed with LOF. I think the combo will be great for my computer loving and avid reader. And, I feel good about any negatives for either one being covered by the other. :)

Ah. I see. Is it really strong enough to stand on its own? I've only seen the first one, &...I can't tell where it's going. I think it's GREAT, & ds loves it, but we have "Fridays w/ Fred" & I don't check his work for that book.

Yes, I believe LOF is strong enough to stand on its own, with caveat. After reading many threads on the high school board and here, I think it will work with some students, not all. I believe that the problems are challenging, but you need to check in with your student on a regular basis (presumably they're working on their own). They need to understand the problems and if not you should have something else available to help cement them. I wish he had an additional math workbooks available.

After reading many threads, like from regentrude (thank you!), I see the importance of making sure you have a good foundation in algebra. If your student starts early enough you could do two years of algebra and STILL have a full high school sequence above that.

We're doing AoPS Number Theory next year. Depending on how we end this year, I will add additional algebra (probably the Dolciani) or AoPS counting and probability.

My current plan is to go back to LOF after that and use his sequence to finish high school. I also have additional resources on hand for each subject :blush: because I'm trying to refresh my own memory before ds gets there, not because I'm obsessed with books or anything. :tongue_smilie:

program. It's computer based and the online lectures are excellent. The instructor is really topshelf. The program doesn't include a text but does include notes provided by the instructor. The one drawback we found was that it did not include enough practice problems. We needed many more than was provided.

We're not ready for algebra yet, but I guess I'm "pre-researching it," so another that I found was Tablet Class.

Tablet Class Algebra

Looked interesting. I'm not looking forward to making this decision when the time comes!

We've used Jacobs and Foerster. Positives about Jacobs: It is a gentle approach and has some humor with cartoons related to the text. There are three problem sets for each chapter. The first set is review, which is a strength, imo. Set II and Set III contain identical types of problems. We'll often work one set in "class" and then my dss will work the other on their own. Jacob's spends quite a bit of time on graphing lines, etc. and Foersters gives it a lesson or two. These types of problems appear often on standardized tests.

Foersters introduces a much higher level of math vocabulary, some of which I think actually obscures what is necessary for the student to learn. Strengths of Foersters are that it includes proofs (I don't believe there are any in Jacobs), has many, many word problems, and goes more in depth with each subject than Jacobs does.

Though I was a good math student 35 or 40 years ago, I had forgotten much by the time my first ds got to Algebra I. I chose Foersters because it was one of the rigorous choices available then and really wish I had not for him. He is not mathy and I was way too rusty. Foersters was fine for ds 2 who totally just "gets" math. He thinks calculus 2 is fun. :) (I don't teach that!) For ds 3&4, I am doing a combination of Jacobs and Foersters without driving myself crazy. :D I am doing that by using Jacobs as the spine because that way I can take advantage of the review. I then either extend the chapter with Foerster or will sometimes add in a Foerster chapter that is not contained in Jacobs.

I must be batty;). I don't always check the Your Turn to Play, but I do check the bridges/cities (depending on the book, and then only the city questions where the answers are found in the Home Companion.) I find that it helps me know how they are doing

Yes, I believe LOF is strong enough to stand on its own, with caveat. After reading many threads on the high school board and here, I think it will work with some students, not all. I believe that the problems are challenging, but you need to check in with your student on a regular basis (presumably they're working on their own). They need to understand the problems and if not you should have something else available to help cement them. I wish he had an additional math workbooks available.

After reading many threads, like from regentrude (thank you!), I see the importance of making sure you have a good foundation in algebra. If your student starts early enough you could do two years of algebra and STILL have a full high school sequence above that.

We're doing AoPS Number Theory next year. Depending on how we end :tongue_smilie:

Doing Algebra 1 twice is a great idea for most dc. After I was doing it, I fond out that Jann in TX (a math guru on the high shcool forum) recommends it as well.

LOF can stand on its own for dc that it works well for, but only if they don't need a lot of practice problems. In our house, it can stand on its own for my eldest only, although I didn't do it that way because it's so new and she is leaning toward majoring in math in univ/college. My middle one can do it with something else. Ds needs more than that because he is an auditory learner and LOF isn't geared that way, although I'm sure you could work it that way. It's a big favourite here, even with ds for whom it alone isn't a great fit, and that counts for a lot.

I only have experience with Jacobs Algebra. My dd is really good at math (currently has 100% in her advanced math class in public high school - she is in 10th grade and most of the other students are in 12th). She did Jacobs in 7th grade and when we went to sign her up to go to high school, had no problem passing the algebra test that the state of LA requires at the end of course to get credit for it. I loved how the book uses real life examples, has review questions and challenging questions with each lesson, and kept my dd interested. I will be using it again next year with my ds in 8th grade whose not quite as mathy as dd, but still good at it.