Menu

Please, Please! Please help me with this dryer disaster!

BMW

This afternoon my son put his soiled bedding into the washing machine. He regularly wets the bed and it's routine for him to put his bedding through the wash on his own. BUT, he stuffed two days worth... (a sleeping bag and 3 blankets!)... into the washer. Then, the washer stopped working because it had been overstuffed. (It wasn't broken, it had a sensor that automatically cancelled the wash when it had got going and was too stuffed) Next, my son took the sleeping bag and a blanket, wet with part wash water, and still soaked with urine... and put those couple of things into the dryer. So... quite a steamy while later, he is saying that he doesn't have blankets for bed tonight and I ask what happened with his laundry and dh says that the washer quit because it was too full. I send son and dh to investigate and dh finds the dryer going... nice a steamy and absolutely DISGUSTING... strong pee smell... AAAAAH!

Please tell me there is a decent fix for this... because I am SO not very happy right now.... Please tell me that I can take a couple of towels and wet them down with water and cleaner and toss them into the dryer and reverse the awful smell and all.... Please?

Really... does anyone have any instructions to save the day... or night... ??

Pull everything out. Wash out the insides with hot vinegary water, run some clean wet towels through.

Once, oh about 10 years ago, I spent a romantic evening watching the stars in our remote yard. I picked up the dew-damp quilt we'd reclined on and stuck it in my drier, and ran it. I discovered, quite out of character, our big dog had dumped in the middle of the yard, and my drier was now shellacked with dry dog poo. The drier recovered with the above. Yours can too. My romantic life didn't, and that was the last "romantic" thing I've ever done. :D

I'm sure it will be fine - dryers are metal and metal doesn't really "absorb" scent (like say, the couch cushions might).

I wouldn't put anything with "cleaner" on it in the dryer though (that kind of thing might be flammable!). I'd probably give the barrel a good wipe down with a (well wrung out) soapy cloth and then I'd wash the towels/whatever and run them through the dryer with a few extra bounce sheets - I just have the regular stuff here right now, but I had some awesome smelling vanilla-almond (I think it was?) before. I believe that was Fleecy brand... or it might have been Downey... Anyway, that's what I'd try. :)

Edited by LidiyaDawn
typos

:w00t: Oh, my gosh... Your disaster makes me remember mine. Our neighbor tried to wash her dog-pee, huge-comforter in our washer. My dh...very gallantly threw the wet comforter in our backyard, while cursing a blue streak...

Vinegar, I agree. Use vinegar to clean the dryer.

Pull everything out. Wash out the insides with hot vinegary water, run some clean wet towels through.

Once, oh about 10 years ago, I spent a romantic evening watching the stars in our remote yard. I picked up the dew-damp quilt we'd reclined on and stuck it in my drier, and ran it. I discovered, quite out of character, our big dog had dumped in the middle of the yard, and my drier was now shellacked with dry dog poo. The drier recovered with the above. Yours can too. My romantic life didn't, and that was the last "romantic" thing I've ever done. :D