Menu

Does *everyone* look like an idiot when they go to their first step-aerobics class?

Or is it just me. :leaving:

Will it get better? I really *want* to go, but since it's offered through our church, there are no "beginners" classes, and some of them have been doing it for years. It was very good for me, and I'd love to get comfortable with it, but yikes!

It moved so fast that by the time I figured out what they were doing, they were on to the next thing... and I'm out of shape enough that I was half-afraid that if I tried the turn-around series of steps that I'd trip over my own feet and fall. I felt silly, but I just stopped and watched them for a while a few times because I had no clue what they were doing.

Should I keep trying, or do people who are somewhat uncoordinated just find something else that works? I like the idea of the church group, and getting to fellowship with these ladies 3x per week. (short Bible study afterward)

Or is it just me. :leaving:

Will it get better? I really *want* to go, but since it's offered through our church, there are no "beginners" classes, and some of them have been doing it for years. It was very good for me, and I'd love to get comfortable with it, but yikes!

It moved so fast that by the time I figured out what they were doing, they were on to the next thing... and I'm out of shape enough that I was half-afraid that if I tried the turn-around series of steps that I'd trip over my own feet and fall. I felt silly, but I just stopped and watched them for a while a few times because I had no clue what they were doing.

Should I keep trying, or do people who are somewhat uncoordinated just find something else that works? I like the idea of the church group, and getting to fellowship with these ladies 3x per week. (short Bible study afterward)

Go! You just have to learn it. Maybe you could check out a step video or 2 from the library to get in some extra practice. I think you can do it :D!

Years ago after my 2nd baby I found myself extremely depressed due to a dramatic change in my clothing size--size 12 before baby size 26 after! A friend (in great physical shape) took me (OK she FORCED me) to a step aerobic class. I was MILES behind everyone. After the second week I was starting to catch up. By the end of the first month I was right 'there' with the others.

I did a 45 minute class twice a week. I also used weights and/or weight machines once a week. I went from a size 26 to a size 16 in 3 months and I was a size 12 and 80 pounds!!!! lighter 9 months later (on by 2nd dd's 1st birthday).

Step aerobics--if done properly is great. You get resistance/weight work and aerobic work at the same time!

Don't try to do to many of the 'fun' twists and turns right away. If they start in with a complicated series just keep moving with the 'basic' steps. Add more turns as you get comfortable. The twists and turns do NOT add to the workout--they just keep it from being boring.

I love step aerobics! And yes, I looked like an idiot at my first class, too. Once you get used to the instructor and the moves they like, it will get easier. You will learn to pace yourself and do what you can do, even if you need to take a break and march in place or just step up and down for a few minutes.

Now, I say I love step aerobics, but I do not look like I do at this point in my life, LOL. I also prefer to work out to tapes, that I can learn at home and feel ever so much less confused. :D But I think you should keep on going! It WILL get easier and I think you will really enjoy it.

You should have seen me when I tried Pilates...:scared:

I think one thing I've learned from these kinds of things is that...yes, everyone else looks and feels foolish when they first start. And the people there are more focused on exercising than what you are doing. They probably don't even see what you are doing.

I say if you like it...keep trying. I bet you'll be one of the pros that some poor uncoordinated newcomer is awed by in no time. :D

it will get better. I look like a total spaz anytime I start any aerobics class. I even referred to my Self Defense class in college as Humiliation 101. It takes me a little longer than most, but even I eventually get the hang of it. Just laugh at yourself, remember you're not alone, and enjoy the fellowship that the class and study will provide. You can do it!

I taught step for many years and believe me EVERYONE looks like that their first few times.

I recommend looking at turnstep, a website that gives you step-by-step instructions (literally!). You can click on a move they called out and watch the little feet move to see how it's done.

I also recommend trying it next time without a step, or with room where you can stand beside the step. That way when the moves require hopping over or something you feel you may trip doing, you can try it on flat ground first.

Finally, don't get on the back row thinking you'll be inconspicuous...everyone turns and you'll have many eyes behind you. Find a spot in the center of the room so no matter which way you're facing you'll have someone in front of you to follow.

Awww, poor Whisperlily!:grouphug:

It will get better. Once you know the names of the moves, it's just a matter of doing them. Something that I tell my particpants (I teach Group fitness) is to not think so hard. Your feet know what to do.

Hang in there and good for you for going into the class in spite of never having done it before.:D

Thank you, everyone!

I wish I'd asked *before* I went today. I still would have gone, and I still would have looked like an idiot, but at least I could have done a little research on steps, etc.

Stacie, that website is *great.* I'll have to practice a little bit before I go next time. I wish I'd known all the things you said *not* to do. They pretty much describe exactly what I did. :D

Dawn, I love the "Humiliation 101" thought. I told myself before I went that it was an exercise in confidence. I had *only* met the instructor beforehand, so I knew my lack of coordination was going to be the first impression they had of me. But I knew if I didn't do it anyway, I never would.

Alice, thanks for the encouragement. I can't see myself as ever being an aerobics pro... I feel like I'll always be a little awkward, but that's how we grow, right? (or hopefully shrink, in this case)

Jann! You are an inspiration! Wow, you give me hope. :) I was also *pulled* into joining this class. I didn't know when I met her, that my new, good friend was an Aerobics instructor. :eek:

It will get better. Once you know the names of the moves, it's just a matter of doing them. Something that I tell my particpants (I teach Group fitness) is to not think so hard. Your feet know what to do.

I hope so! I think I will really enjoy it once I get beyond the learning curve, and can just move with the beat, following instructions. And I've never really enjoyed exercise before, and avoided aerobics or group classes because I was worried about how I would look/what I would do wrong. Maybe the first day was the worst. ;)

Yes, EVERYONE looks goofy at first. It takes a few sessions to catch on and keep up.

Will it get better?

Yes yes yes, if you keep at it, pretty soon you will be able to keep up and follow right along. If it's feasible, maybe you could stand in the back until you're feeling more confident. But really, I doubt any of the others are critiquing your style or anything -- they're just trying to keep up, too. At least, that's how it was for me back in the day. Hang on girlfriend, it will become fun if you just keep at it :)

Karen

And I've never really enjoyed exercise before, and avoided aerobics or group classes because I was worried about how I would look/what I would do wrong. ;)

My mom stayed away from joining the gym for this very reason. I finally said to her, "Mom, you know why there are mirrors everywhere? Because people are only looking at themselves. They only care about the size of their own tushy.";)

I have been teaching step aerobics for nearly 20 years (that's scary even to write!). And yes, new people are always a little lost (which is a far gentler way of putting it!) and intimidated and frustrated. I always say it takes a good 6 weeks of coming regularly to class to just get used to what all the names of the steps are called! Once your brain absorbs all of that, then your body can finally follow along!

Be sure to let the instructor know that you are new. Hopefully, she can show you some modifications or simplify the class. Another hint is to stand right where you don't want to stand: Front and center! If you can't handle front, at least be center. It's so much easier to learn when you are facing the instructor head on.

Truthfully, the problem is not you. The problem is those dang mirrors hung all over the room! If we didn't have the mirrors people wouldn't be nearly so self-conscious.

Keep going. Have fun. Enjoy the music. Enjoy the movement. Enjoy laughing at yourself. It's just PE afterall!

~Kim, who dreams in step lingo..."Repeater knee, over the top. Up knee down tap...!" ;)