Menu

Poll: Controversial status updates of Facebook

Do you respond when a friend posts something controversial as their Facebook status?  

1. 1. Do you respond when a friend posts something controversial as their Facebook status?

• No, it doesn't bother me
    • No, but I hide the post and fume about it for awhile
    • Yes, but I don't get too carried away
    • Yes, I love a great debate and might post controversial something myself to stir things up
    • Other ('cause there has to be an other!)

Oh and reading the replies I wanted to add something...

I've only unfriended and/or blocked two people before.

One of them was a family member, distant, who kept swearing on her status updates. I posted a general warning to all my contacts that I'd be "cleaning up" soon and due to the fact that my kids see my Facebook page sometimes...I'd delete anyone using extreme profanity. A month goes by, still swearing a lot...so I deleted her. Oh well. ;) She has the right to freedom of speech just like I have the right not to read about it.

The other person was a crazy whackjob! She's the little sister of my very good friend from my childhood. We hung out a few times, but she was always the little sister.

Anyway, a few months ago I posted a rant on my status about people who feel the need to comment negatively about my large family or my decision to have more children. I even stated that it was in no way directed at anyone, but just a general musing for the day. This chick had posted something along the lines of "wow thats a lot of kids!" the day before on one of my photos. I was not offended at all and was not referring to her. She got upset about my large family rant though and took it personally. She posted a mean comment, and yet I still replied to her that I'm sorry she took it personally but I was NOT referring to her at all. She didn't accept that. She starting posting really hateful things on my post. Yikes! I privately messaged her to tell her again, very nicely, that I did not mean her and I wasn't offended by her post the day before. She posted back a reply that made no sense....ramblings of a lunatik. And then unfriended me and blocked me. I talked to her sister, my friend, and she said I was better off, that her sister was just like that. Yikes! She has since unblocked me, I can see her profile now...but I still have her blocked. She's crazy.

It depends.

Sometimes I defriend the person

Sometimes I ignore

Sometimes I respond.

It really depends on the subject, the position being taken, my relationship with the person.

The most annoying Facebook posts, and the ones I am least likely to post anything on, are the ones that the person is passing on a Facebook meme "93% of people won't post this" -- even if I agree I won't repost it because I think those things are RUDE.

I "hide and fume". I have 2 people on my FB that are old friends who are polar opposites of my political and social view. I've completely hidden them from my daily feeds. My other politically charged friends who are closer to my views don't get hidden but I don't read all of their posts either.

I defriend only if there was a direct person attack. I received one pretty unkind (though maybe it was due to shock) message about my conversion to Orthodoxy (I was actually a bit sad about that one) and I've had to block one of my brothers (he let our dad's "girlfriend" have access to his account while he's in jail...she decided to use it to cause trouble when our stepmother died last month. All the sisters had to block his account. Then the "girlfriend" went and deleted us all from his friend list). I also deleted a couple of people that I never knew in real life and had only connected with me because of a headcovering group...they decided to berate me over the "colour of your bra/breast cancer" game that happened the other year. Yeah, like I needed that kind of drama. You're free to disagree or refrain, but don't come onto my wall and tell me what a terrible person I am. One guy is having girlfriend issues and taking it out on all females...I simply hide him as I know it's not personally against me. A young cousin cracked a Duggar joke...I just replied, "to each their own, honey" and reminded her of my large family. I'm considering deleting my niece's and nephews' dad...he decided to curse at me for sympathizing with his daughter over his dead beat dad status (sorry, but if the shoe fits IMO and she's an adult after all).

Edited by mommaduck

One thing I do--and yes, it is obnoxious!--is if a friend posts a photo of something dangerous, such as using a child product in an unsafe way, I will sometimes make a mental note and post something another day such as, "Car seats are so complicated! I hope everyone remembers the chest clip is supposed to be at x level and not at belly button level!"

Totally off topic, but I can't help myself...

The chest clip thing is one of my biggest pet peeves ever. I mean there's a picture of where it's supposed to go right on the darn clip. You don't even have to read the instructions! When I see pictures, I try to convince myself the're just taking the photo, and they fully plan on fixing the clip before they start the car. I usually doesn't work. :tongue_smilie:

It depends. If they are a good friend who takes things well, I might post a response. If they have posted something that is wrong, I usually send them a private message letting them know, sometimes they will take it down or retract it. If it's someone posting inflammatory things and I know they won't take it well, I either ignore it or unfriend them.

The most annoying Facebook posts, and the ones I am least likely to post anything on, are the ones that the person is passing on a Facebook meme "93% of people won't post this" -- even if I agree I won't repost it because I think those things are RUDE.

I don't like those either. I also agree with mommaduck that I don't like the posts people make complaining of facebook memes other people are participating in. What is the point?

Voted other because I recently closed my FB account. Not only were the controversial posts annoying (though I never engaged in it), but I disliked the "fakeness" of it all. You know friends posting messages to other friends acting as if they were the best of friends, yet calling me the same day to b!tch about said person. Or those bragging about their perfect life when you know the reality is just not like that. I didn't feel it brought me closer to anyone, just gave me a glimpse into their life through rose colored glasses. It was like high school all over again:). Sorry......think I just went way off topic!!!!