Menu

help for db confusion

chicagoshannon

This is how Spalding teaches b and d:

All letters are taught with their sounds; IOW, not letter names, then sounds. They are also taught by having the dc write them as they say the sounds.

"b" is a tall letter with a short part. It begins with the line (the tall part) and ends with a circle (the short part). When you say /b/, your lips make sort of a line.

"d" is a short letter with a tall part. It begins with a circle (the short part) and ends with the line (the tall part). When you say /d/, your lips make sort of a circle.

You would give these clues when each letter comes up, rather than trying to teach/remediate them at the same time.

This is how Spalding teaches b and d:

All letters are taught with their sounds; IOW, not letter names, then sounds. They are also taught by having the dc write them as they say the sounds.

"b" is a tall letter with a short part. It begins with the line (the tall part) and ends with a circle (the short part). When you say /b/, your lips make sort of a line.

"d" is a short letter with a tall part. It begins with a circle (the short part) and ends with the line (the tall part). When you say /d/, your lips make sort of a circle.

You would give these clues when each letter comes up, rather than trying to teach/remediate them at the same time.

I started this recently with my ds, and it really helps him. Now, when he hesitates about how to write either letter, I prompt him to think about the shape of his mouth and he gets it immediately.

Not sure where I heard this but:

b has a big belly

d has a big butt

Since hearing this my boys have it down...not how I'd want them to remember but sometimes whatever works....

See, this would just confuse me. How do you know the letter didn't turn around and start talking to the guy behind him? ;)