Menu

Preschool Organizing Thread

Will you all link your favorite pics for organizing preschool/craft stuff at home? And if you've heard/read/seen any great tips, that would be wonderful, too.

WHY: It's gotten to that point, like it does every so often when you have littles. One day, I've got 40 oranges peeled all over the floor, when we only bought 10. The next day, they've "sorted" the buttons from here to my bedroom, & then they've found the halloween candy.

I opened the bucket of puzzles the other day, & since they haven't seen those in months, they were *fascinated.* But they took every piece out of every puzzle & didn't put anything back together (of course). So I thought, you know, the library puts one puzzle out at a table at a time. That's a good idea. I've got a table my dad made that perfectly fits 2 toddlers: maybe I could manage to "manage" their activities a little better by simply laying something at each place for them to do. :001_huh:

Yeah, I know, but I might try anyway. :lol:

I've got bookshelves, other kinds of shelves, a closet (w/ a bifold door, unfortunately), & lots of plastic tubs. I've got choices that are relatively out of sight & choices that are highly visible.

Imagine you wanted to be kind-of zen, but you're a total hs mama AND you've got littles. Who bring you feathers and flowers, oh my! ;)

To be organized:

-a breadbag of sortable buttons

-a plastic tub of puzzles

-books: board, paper, magnet, lift-the-flap, & train activity book

-plastic tub of magnetix

-paper

-crayons, markers, colored pencils

-coloring books

-activity books

-tangrams

-plastic shapes...forget what they're called, but used in Saxon K or 1st :confused:

-ABC flash cards (3 different sizes, from index card sized to 8.5x11)

-workbooks

-shape sorter

-lacing blocks

-the 3-pronged stacking blocks that have to be sorted by size but that only dh & I ever "play" w/--littles just play w/ the pieces. :glare:

-learning laptop

-hanging stuffed ABC chart

-word whammer

-finger paints, acrylics, watercolors

-play-dough

-school-time toys

If nothing else, I'm going to spray the house down w/ vinegar (if I can find it!) & put something in give away. :lol:

What I did when I had littles all at once:

Put everything in the closet. I sorted mine into bins and boxes, but that's not necessary as long as you can see and get to everything. Choose 2-5 learning activities and set them out on the table for a week or so. When the table stops being interesting, rotate items.

I organized the tables by themes like colors or sorting or counting or animals, so I'd have 2-3 items (Say, counting bears and colored cups for sorting, a puzzle, and a work folder with a sorting task) and a coloring sheet related to my theme, plus a high-interest activity like play dough or painting or a rice box with puzzle pieces hidden in it. (I put an old sheet under the table, and just picked it up, shook it outside and tossed it in the washer if things got messy.) If I was feeling particularly organized and motivated, I'd put little pictures and posters on the wall related to the theme.

Waaaah. Now I am missing the messy hands-on preschool days. Measuring angles and multiplication and diagramming sentences are fun, but not as much fun as playdough.

Cat

I have 3 kids under 5 so I understand your situation :lol:

Honestly I went out and bought a cabinet with a lock specifically for all the art stuff. My kids are art crazy and no matter where I put it/hid it they would find it and decorate the house with it. The lockable cabinet worked great for a week till they broke the door on it trying to get in :glare:.

I have to lock up everything and manage everything - by doleing it out and relocking the cabinet in between or it becomes a free for all with everyone helping themselves to extras for their art project that just keeps getting bigger and bigger :001_huh: Punishment at our house is denial of access to the art cupboard - this always gets behaviour fixed quickly :D

All puzzles, games, toys with peices are all locked away too.

Library books are stored in two containers atop a high cupboard they can't access -otherwise the older kids scatter then on the floor while reading them and the baby comes along and chews them and rips them up.

I have seen many blogs with their art/HS/library supplies all left out on low shelves for free access by their preschoolers -in my dream life I can do this - but in reality that does not work for my kids - they are the impulsive,sensory type who forget they are supposed to ask first and love to make big messes ;)

Locks are your friends with littles :D

Edited by sewingmama

Have you thought about teaching them some Montessori techniques?

I have a 2yo little friend I babysit--now granted, she's a pretty mature 2yo, but here's what I've taught her/what I currently have out for her--

In the living room, they have a shelf with 4 compartments across and 4 more below them, and 4 pretty red boxes with lids. In the 4 upper compartments, I put a rolled up placemat (but I'd ideally use a bigger mat, about 2.5ft X 3), and 5 things for her to work on. I rotate them whenever I go over. I might put out a set of matching cards in a small round box with a lid, a number puzzle, a polishing activity with a cloth and a silver cup on a silver tray, a geoboard with a tiny wooden bowl of rubber bands, and a sorting tray with buttons or erasers or little bears.

She knows she needs a mat with the things on these shelves, and she knows they don't get mixed together or carried anywhere else. She accepts these rules really well.

I set up a sensory bin for her (either water, lentils, or snow lately!) by putting the two small chairs from her little kitchen set/table back to back and using a medium-sized under the bed bin. I put it near the corner of the kitchen. Sometimes she washes dishes when I do! LOL I keep a small cardboard box for things to put in the sensory bin--buttons to find, small glass "stones," plastic animals, etc. I pull from the utensil drawer frequently. I also have a towel down under the chairs and a small kitchen dish towel hooked over the back of the turned-around chairs.

I have cardboard boxes from Ikea holding a playdough kit, a bunch of "unusual papers," an "art kit" with glue/scissors/crayons/markers/paint/brushes, and one other that I can't think of.

I pull out what we are going to do on the big table (playdough kit has popsicle sticks and a plastic knife, a cylinder block for a rolling pin, and some plastic cookie cutters in it currently--I set it up on a cookie sheet). I supervise her Montessori-like activities.

A long post--basically, divide up your stuff into small, workable quantities. For the buttons, for example, keep them in a jar or something sturdy, and take out pairs of them for matching, or 10 for finding in the sensory box, or 15 for gluing, or 10 to match on a tray that you set up in your Monti area. Keep the rest on a shelf away from them. Some days, bring out the whole bit and dump them in the sensory bin!

I make "works" for the dear little one, and she learns to take them out and put them away. I keep all my stuff for her separate from what she can use.

Oh, and this is entirely at her home, so some stuff comes home with me and gets stashed in the basement.

Waaaah. Now I am missing the messy hands-on preschool days. Measuring angles and multiplication and diagramming sentences are fun, but not as much fun as playdough.

Cat

Wow. I wish we could trade. I *love* the older stuff, but the little stuff just makes my eyes glaze over. I get inspired, & then I *look* at the alphabet or a number line or play dough & think: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Not for me. :D

I'm mean. I put all the messy stuff on top of the bookshelf & they can use it individually & supervised. Want to paint? Have to ask for it, get the painting drop cloth, & I'll get the paint/brushes/paper out for you, and then it goes back up.

That's nice in my book. I let mine get out finger paint the other day, & it was only the 2nd time in 10 years. :tongue_smilie:

In my defense, I didn't like the messiness of finger-painting when I was 4; I'm not going to change *that much*--LOL.

I have 3 kids under 5 so I understand your situation :lol:

Honestly I went out and bought a cabinet with a lock specifically for all the art stuff. My kids are art crazy and no matter where I put it/hid it they would find it and decorate the house with it. The lockable cabinet worked great for a week till they broke the door on it trying to get in :glare:.

I have to lock up everything and manage everything - by doleing it out and relocking the cabinet in between or it becomes a free for all with everyone helping themselves to extras for their art project that just keeps getting bigger and bigger :001_huh: Punishment at our house is denial of access to the art cupboard - this always gets behaviour fixed quickly :D

All puzzles, games, toys with peices are all locked away too.

Library books are stored in two containers atop a high cupboard they can't access -otherwise the older kids scatter then on the floor while reading them and the baby comes along and chews them and rips them up.

I have seen many blogs with their art/HS/library supplies all left out on low shelves for free access by their preschoolers -in my dream life I can do this - but in reality that does not work for my kids - they are the impulsive,sensory type who forget they are supposed to ask first and love to make big messes ;)

Locks are your friends with littles :D

See...I didn't mean "free access," lol. That would be nice, but I. can't. handle. it! I meant more like "aesthetically pleasing" & "less junky looking."

:lol:

That's nice in my book. I let mine get out finger paint the other day, & it was only the 2nd time in 10 years. :tongue_smilie:

In my defense, I didn't like the messiness of finger-painting when I was 4; I'm not going to change *that much*--LOL.

Painting is also often followed by bathtime :tongue_smilie:. I have a drawer for puzzle pieces too. It's easier than keeping the puzzles done. Any random piece goes in the drawer & they look there for a missing piece to the current puzzle (mostly 9-piece interlocking puzzles).

Have you thought about teaching them some Montessori techniques?

LOL--I used to work at a Montessori school & was *this* close to pursuing certification.

I have a 2yo little friend I babysit--now granted, she's a pretty mature 2yo, but here's what I've taught her/what I currently have out for her--

I think my 2yo is not incredibly mature AND he & 3yo sort-of ... INSPIRE ea other. :lol:

In the living room, they have a shelf with 4 compartments across and 4 more below them, and 4 pretty red boxes with lids. In the 4 upper compartments, I put a rolled up placemat (but I'd ideally use a bigger mat, about 2.5ft X 3), and 5 things for her to work on. I rotate them whenever I go over. I might put out a set of matching cards in a small round box with a lid, a number puzzle, a polishing activity with a cloth and a silver cup on a silver tray, a geoboard with a tiny wooden bowl of rubber bands, and a sorting tray with buttons or erasers or little bears.

Beautiful ideas. But I guess what I'm asking is...where/how do you store the things you're *not* using? I mean...so it's easy for *me* to see what we've got/get to it/etc.

She knows she needs a mat with the things on these shelves, and she knows they don't get mixed together or carried anywhere else. She accepts these rules really well.

I got a wooden tray for dd when she was little, but...I guess partly...now *it* needs storing AND...it's not always as big as the activity you need it for. But it's perfect for sorting buttons.

I set up a sensory bin for her (either water, lentils, or snow lately!) by putting the two small chairs from her little kitchen set/table back to back and using a medium-sized under the bed bin. I put it near the corner of the kitchen. Sometimes she washes dishes when I do! LOL I keep a small cardboard box for things to put in the sensory bin--buttons to find, small glass "stones," plastic animals, etc. I pull from the utensil drawer frequently. I also have a towel down under the chairs and a small kitchen dish towel hooked over the back of the turned-around chairs.

I don't understand. The chairs face ea other & hold the bin which holds these sensory things? Hmm...my kitchen's really small, but I might could manage something like that. 3yo would make a mess & love it, but 2yo would love it & MAKE A MESS.

Ok, so I'm thinking maybe a 3-drawer rolly cart, rotate what's in the drawers, & they can use one of the drawers for water or something on top of or pulled out from the cart. Yes?

I have cardboard boxes from Ikea holding a playdough kit, a bunch of "unusual papers," an "art kit" with glue/scissors/crayons/markers/paint/brushes, and one other that I can't think of.

I've got play dough in two plastic shoe box tubs, but they're sitting on the shelf, & they look junky. I'd like them to look like the pics of the preschool room that makes us wonder why we hs. :D

I pull out what we are going to do on the big table (playdough kit has popsicle sticks and a plastic knife, a cylinder block for a rolling pin, and some plastic cookie cutters in it currently--I set it up on a cookie sheet). I supervise her Montessori-like activities.

Part of the problem w/ supervising is leaving the bigs. They can work well(ish) on their own, but they die from the unfairness of it all if the littles do playdough w/out them. It's easier to just leave the playdough on the shelf. Because, really, I'd rather let the bigs oversee the littles & the 4 of them blissfully squash clay while I blissfully walk away from it. :D

A long post--basically, divide up your stuff into small, workable quantities. For the buttons, for example, keep them in a jar or something sturdy, and take out pairs of them for matching, or 10 for finding in the sensory box, or 15 for gluing, or 10 to match on a tray that you set up in your Monti area. Keep the rest on a shelf away from them. Some days, bring out the whole bit and dump them in the sensory bin!

Oh. She doesn't get to pull the baggy out, strew them across the house, & then cry that she can't pick them up by herself? :confused: That IS a good idea.

I hate planning/organizing preschool stuff, though. I'd rather pick buttons out of the carpet. Wait--I know. Wanna come over? :D

I make "works" for the dear little one, and she learns to take them out and put them away. I keep all my stuff for her separate from what she can use.

Oh, and this is entirely at her home, so some stuff comes home with me and gets stashed in the basement.

That last part seems key to me. I want to go home at the end of the day! :auto: (And I want a basement. And a Chris in VA to organize it all!)

Painting is also often followed by bathtime :tongue_smilie:. I have a drawer for puzzle pieces too. It's easier than keeping the puzzles done. Any random piece goes in the drawer & they look there for a missing piece to the current puzzle (mostly 9-piece interlocking puzzles).

You let them have baths, too? You really ARE nice! ;)

Here I was thinking I was doing well because I don't lock them in the closet. :lol:

How about an armoire? I have seen some homeschooling pics on this board with huge armoires stuffed to the brim, but when the doors are closed, they look so pretty and harmless. :D

We have our computer in the living room and I keep it in an armoire, so when we have guests over, I can shut all the mess in!

Another plus is they're deep and wide! Of course, if you don't have the space for it to begin with, it wouldn't work no matter how much stuff (I mean, educational materials) you could fit in it!

Hee hee--I knew I was writing one of those "not terribly helpful" posts, but I couldn't help myself. <G>

I don't understand. The chairs face ea other & hold the bin which holds these sensory things? Hmm...my kitchen's really small, but I might could manage something like that. 3yo would make a mess & love it, but 2yo would love it & MAKE A MESS.

Ok, so I'm thinking maybe a 3-drawer rolly cart, rotate what's in the drawers, & they can use one of the drawers for water or something on top of or pulled out from the cart. Yes?

The chairs are NOT back to back--sorry! I meant facing each other. I use a large, maybe-8in deep bin (6 inches? IDK) setting on them, with a towel under. The chairs put the bin at a good height--not as high as a regular chair. You can either dump the sensory stuff into the bin, OR--and this works really well for more "messy" kids--use a second bin or large bowl set inside the bigger bin. You can even put just a couple of inches of water into this second bin, and have them wash play dishes or dollies or just pour and spoon into containers.

I wouldn't use a bin on a cart because it will be the wrong height, but you CAN put it on the floor, it's just too tempting for them to dump it or scoop it onto the floor instead of keeping it in the bin. You do have to supervise, but it's actually pretty easy to place a sensory bin next to a 2x3 section of the wall (I mean, it doesn't take a lot of space, so you can probably pop it against a wall where you are using a table with the other kids).

And I'd love to set up your space--it is my favorite part of teaching! LOL If you send me a picture of your room, I can help you.

I have an Expedit bookcase in my living room and I keep construction paper in one cube, books in another, a craft basket with scissors, etc. up high in another. Under my coffee table is a bin with her paints, crayons, and dot-to-dots. I keep her brushes out of reach so she needs my help to paint. I let her paint as much as I can. Deprivation of art is also a punishment around here.

Is it pretty? Meh. Does it work? For the most part. I'm always looking for better ideas so I'm watching this thread.

Hee hee--I knew I was writing one of those "not terribly helpful" posts, but I couldn't help myself. <G>

The chairs are NOT back to back--sorry! I meant facing each other. I use a large, maybe-8in deep bin (6 inches? IDK) setting on them, with a towel under. The chairs put the bin at a good height--not as high as a regular chair. You can either dump the sensory stuff into the bin, OR--and this works really well for more "messy" kids--use a second bin or large bowl set inside the bigger bin. You can even put just a couple of inches of water into this second bin, and have them wash play dishes or dollies or just pour and spoon into containers.

I wouldn't use a bin on a cart because it will be the wrong height, but you CAN put it on the floor, it's just too tempting for them to dump it or scoop it onto the floor instead of keeping it in the bin. You do have to supervise, but it's actually pretty easy to place a sensory bin next to a 2x3 section of the wall (I mean, it doesn't take a lot of space, so you can probably pop it against a wall where you are using a table with the other kids).

And I'd love to set up your space--it is my favorite part of teaching! LOL If you send me a picture of your room, I can help you.

Hmmm...I might see about that later...for now, I've got a workbox style rolly cart that I cleaned out for holding interesting things. I figure ea drawer could be a "tray" to take over to the table & keep things in order.

For the sensory stuff, I've got a 3-drawer cart in the bathroom that they already use essentially this way, lol. I'll have to experiment w/ height.

I've been on a major purge ever since thinking we might move to CO, & really... I'm liking it! :D

I think I'm going to google the sensory bin to get a better idea. I know I've heard the term, & I've seen ideas like the ones you're suggesting, but...it's still not quite connecting, somehow. :tongue_smilie:

But my brain's been on vacation lately. :001_huh:

We have two main spots in the house for preschool activities (well, 3 if you include "workbook work")... all the games, books, puzzles, musical instruments, trains, manipulatives that can be played with in the floor like wooden blocks, legos, autoblox, trio blocks, etc--those are all stored in the playroom (sorry for the fuzzy phone pic!)

163877_1630519481287_1185624552_31456354_4425820_n.jpg

All the art supplies are stored in buckets that are hanging from a shelf in our kitchen. Play doh is stored on the kitchen table, about 20 ziploc activities-in-a-bag are filed in a filing cabinet for them, all our math manipulatives, etc are all stored in the kitchen (we also now have a full-size double easel in the kitchen, thanks to santa!) This is where we do all our MESSY work or anything that's too small to get out of the carpet easily (rice, beans, beads, gems, etc)

41170_1424524571543_1185624552_31063939_5362678_n.jpg

This works out great for us. Everything is in view for them but the really dangerous stuff (paint!) is up where they can't get it without asking (paint, glitter, glue, stamps, etc)

40210_1418405018558_1185624552_31047152_2926328_n.jpg

They have crayons & markers and plenty of paper within reach and are allowed to use them at the kitchen table whenever they please. We don't take anything that's IN the kitchen OUT of the kitchen (same for food)--this keeps the mess at a minimum but allows them some freedom to create at will. :)

I would LOVE to get some under-bed storage containers for farm animals/little people, legos, etc... Not sure who's BED they'd fit under though!!!! ;)

Edited by rootsnwings