Menu

Math Mammoth on HSBC

Satori

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw on MM site, I had the idea that the Green/Gold worksheets cover topics that go beyond blue/light blue. Am I wrong about that? I was going to add green/gold to my order for review for DS who is currently working through prealgebra.

Shannon

Just checked again and the site says Blue: Grades 1 - 6

Light Blue: Grades 1 - 6

Golden/Green: Grades 1 - 8/9

So the advantage to having green/gold is that they would cover more topics in junior high math.

If it is something you will use, then it may be worth it to you. I was answering the above poster who doesn't have a child that age for awhile, so my suggestion was to pass on it. To me, it's quite a bit of extra money for just "practice sheets" without explanations or solutions, and so it would have to be a supplement to another math program. But if you are definitely going to use everything (the light blue AND the blue, the green/gold, and the make it real) then it is an awesome deal!!!!:)

I know in my case I wouldn't use both the blue and the light blue, so that would make it $30 more just for the green/gold. YMMV

Yep, but there's no solutions. Only problems. Just FYI!

Okay, I just started looking into MM recently so, I did not realize no solutions. That may be a deal breaker for me. Thanks.

Shannon

ETA: Just went to the site again to clarify--there are answer keys, but no instruction as you would find in the the light blue series. So Green/Gold is considered a supplement to your regular math curriculum. I'm assuming the answer keys are pretty much just answers, not fully worked solutions.

Edited by shanvan

Can I ask your reasoning for buying the whole set? I'm debating between getting the light blue or the complete "color" sets. I know it's a great deal, but realistically I'm trying to figure out if I use the light blue as our curriculum then would I use any of the other stuff?

Comments from anyone are welcome. Thanks!

I bought the whole thing just for flexibility in the future. If the light blue works beautifully, we'll just use that, but if we end up needing to use something else, I want the blue as it would be easier to supplement.

ETA: Just went to the site again to clarify--there are answer keys, but no instruction as you would find in the the light blue series. So Green/Gold is considered a supplement to your regular math curriculum. I'm assuming the answer keys are pretty much just answers, not fully worked solutions.

Oh, really? Well good...I guess I read it wrong. Answers are better than nothing!

I bought the whole thing just for flexibility in the future. If the light blue works beautifully, we'll just use that, but if we end up needing to use something else, I want the blue as it would be easier to supplement.

I'm actually thinking like this too. (And, truth be told, I think the Blue set may be helpful for me, as I didn't get the best math foundation in elementary/middle school. I know for a fact I could benefit from looking through the fractions book, for sure!) But the flexibility is a definite plus for having both blue and light blue.

Oh, really? Well good...I guess I read it wrong. Answers are better than nothing!

Well, maybe. :001_unsure: It's a little confusing on the site. I see answer keys listed to buy separately through Kagi, but nothing is mentioned about them for the series set, so I just e mailed to find out for sure if they are included in the Green/Gold Series download. I don't want to pay for something that doesn't provide answers of some sort.

for grades 3-12

Thanks for the info! I guess I can just stick with the Light Blue for now and hope that there is another co-op sale in a year or two although it almost seems silly to pass up the books when they are only $20 but I really don't need them yet and I guess I should make sure this is the curriculum we are going to use for the long haul before I buy even more things.

Thanks for the info! I guess I can just stick with the Light Blue for now and hope that there is another co-op sale in a year or two although it almost seems silly to pass up the books when they are only $20 but I really don't need them yet and I guess I should make sure this is the curriculum we are going to use for the long haul before I buy even more things.

I think that is a good decision. I was interested in the Make it Real books, but after looking at samples the problems are very much like the word problems included in just about any curriculum I've seen. I find a much more effective way to make my DC see the relevance of math is to make them actually use it in their own lives to solve problems that mean something to them personally. For example, after several chapters on money, we set up a play store and DD had to make change. Then I took her shopping at a real store and she had to pay with exact change. She has had to rewrite recipes for me either doubling or tripling them before we actually make them together. Sewing and gardening projects are great for area and perimeter.

DS has a couple of favorite trees each at different local parks. They are very large and very old. Several years ago while studying the circumference of circles I had him determine the radius of the core of the trees after measuring their circumference. He thought it was pretty neat. He has also to tabulate results and figure statistics for several 4h presentations. He learned how to convert those statistics into many different types of graphs to use on his display boards.

Recently we helped a friend buy and stack hay from two different dealers. The bales were different weights. One seemed to be more expensive than the other. Part of DS's math for the day was figuring the price per pound to determine how much of a price difference there actually was. It turned out to be a penny difference. Then I had him decide how much it would amount to over a year. His figuring helped our friend greatly and Ds learned a lot about practically applying the math he is learning. When he is older, if he does buy a cell phone I would have him investigate different plans, do the math and see which is the best deal considering all the factors.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just think projects like I mentioned above do a better job of helping DC to see the usefulness of math than more word problems.

Shannon

If you get stumped on a math problem and need a fully worked solution - you could always post the problem on this forum, and I bet other MM users would love to help you solve it. I know I would!!

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion. I have seen others post for that reason. I don't anticipate being unable to work solutions, but if I'm really tired and cranky it could happen! I have found in the higher grades, sometimes I was taught differently and I find the answers differently than the way the curriculum has been teaching DS to solve.

shanvan - I loved your long post and I love your approach to math. Definately better than word problems. I only have a K in school now, but I love the idea of having her rewrite recipes in order to double or triple them - I'll file that away in the ol' bean for later!

So if I wanted to use MM as a summer supplement which color would I purchase? We use the full Singapore package (CWP, IP, workbook) + Life of Fred.

I'd think it would depend on how your goal in supplementing.

If you want to work on specific skills - Blue or Green/Gold.

If you want to cover a specific grade range, Light Blue.

If you want something "fun" and different - the Make It Real series. This is what seems most summer-supplementy to me - focused on going deeper and practicing skills rather than learning new things.

How much does it cost to get one year printed at Kinkos or Staples? Anyone do this? I realize that while I got a good deal at 50% and can use it for all my kids....I will be printing 4 years worth at a time when they are all in school. Yikes. Lots of printing.....

How much does it cost to get one year printed at Kinkos or Staples? Anyone do this? I realize that while I got a good deal at 50% and can use it for all my kids....I will be printing 4 years worth at a time when they are all in school. Yikes. Lots of printing.....

I just uploaded 1B to Kinkos to check, and the cheapest comb-binding option comes out to $15.39, as opposed to $11.80 buying the workbook through lulu.com.

It probably isn't cost effective to buy the downloads and then print and bind somewhere like Kinko's. Like the last poster said, it costs more than buying the book already printed.

But if you print at home with a laser printer, it may cost around 2 cents a page (this all depends on your toner cost). That is what makes the downloads a good deal...if you can print cheap.

I'm not sure what the cost is to just print the pages somewhere, but not have them binded...you could use a 3 hole punch and put them in a binder? That would be a bit less money, assuming you already have binders hanging around the house somewhere. :001_smile:

Well, maybe. :001_unsure: It's a little confusing on the site. I see answer keys listed to buy separately through Kagi, but nothing is mentioned about them for the series set, so I just e mailed to find out for sure if they are included in the Green/Gold Series download. I don't want to pay for something that doesn't provide answers of some sort.

Maria Miller e mailed me and confirmed that answer keys are part of the download or CD for the Green/Gold Series.

I want to buy MM, but I'm not sure which package. I want the Light Blue for 2nd and 4th next year, but I want to be able to brush up on some topics for the 4th grader. Would it be easy to find appropriate lessons in the LB series or should I order the whole thing so I can get the Blue series as well? Thanks!

I just uploaded 1B to Kinkos to check, and the cheapest comb-binding option comes out to $15.39, as opposed to $11.80 buying the workbook through lulu.com.

Is this printing it and then comb-binding or just the comb binding?

How much is shipping through Lulu? I think when I checked for grade 2 MM it is about 12 dollars.

Is this printing it and then comb-binding or just the comb binding?

How much is shipping through Lulu? I think when I checked for grade 2 MM it is about 12 dollars.

That was printing+comb binding. I'd assume the comb binding without the printing would be much cheaper :)

Not sure about the shipping. There's a code up on the Math Mammoth main page right now for 20% off Lulu orders. It claims to have expired March 7th, but you could still try it, I suppose :) Or email to see if there's an update on that.

That was printing+comb binding. I'd assume the comb binding without the printing would be much cheaper :)

Not sure about the shipping. There's a code up on the Math Mammoth main page right now for 20% off Lulu orders. It claims to have expired March 7th, but you could still try it, I suppose :) Or email to see if there's an update on that.

Thanks! This is great info. I did see that 20% off, and somewhere it stated it was extended through Mar 31. Decision time. :001_smile:

I want to buy MM, but I'm not sure which package. I want the Light Blue for 2nd and 4th next year, but I want to be able to brush up on some topics for the 4th grader. Would it be easy to find appropriate lessons in the LB series or should I order the whole thing so I can get the Blue series as well? Thanks!

Light Blue would probably be fine - there's a detailed table of contents in each book, so it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to find the sections you needed in previous grade levels.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for responding! :001_smile:

I actually just did that myself. DS was shaky on money, so I went back a grade level and did that money section before starting the grade-level one. That worked great - he's handling the grade-level work just fine now.

Just a reminder for those of you going back and forth on download vs print, the print workbooks from lulu are not in color. I will be printing and binding myself in order to have print workbooks :)

Downloads are great for people like me that don't necessarily want to go through a workbook page by page, chapter by chapter (you know, in order). LOL. That's the beauty of the download. I can print what I want, when I want, and I can even re-print that same lesson over and over again (extra practice!). We can also skip chapters if we want to.

I'm excited about having so much power!

Just a reminder for those of you going back and forth on download vs print, the print workbooks from lulu are not in color. I will be printing and binding myself in order to have print workbooks :)

I also decided on download b/c of the ability to reprint and b/c MM is a supplementary program for us, so we may not need to print every page.

Shannon

I'm ordering the downloads myself :) I'm printing them myself, and not binding them (beyond a three hole punch), so the printing cost is less of a consideration.

I did order 2-A as a workbook because my homeschool budget last year was an amazon gift code. I went through and colored all the pennies orange. I don't think there was anything else that really needed color.

This is the first time I have used HSBC. Should I have received an email yesterday since 3/31 was the expiration date? Or does it take a few days for them to process everything and send out the details to us (I got the CDs so I'm not waiting for the downloadable stuff).

The website says they will send the order to Math Mammoth on April 1st. Then it could take up to 5 days to process the orders, and additional 5 days for shipping if it's a CD.

I'm wondering if it will end up taking longer due to the volume. Anyone know what the final total was?

The website says they will send the order to Math Mammoth on April 1st. Then it could take up to 5 days to process the orders, and additional 5 days for shipping if it's a CD.

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if HSBC would send an email for me. Thanks for letting me know.