Menu

Classical Co-ops, What's available nation wide

Are you dropping CC??

We were in a fine arts program that followed a history cycle - but I forgot how many years - I don't think it was 4. It was called the Masters Academy of Fine Arts with locations in Georgia and I think Tennessee,

For the elementary grades, it's not academic - but it certainly helped me to flesh out our studies with all the music, art, drama, and history activities that I found hard to do at home. They do have an academic program similar to challenge for middle and high school - can't remember if its necessarily classical.

Are you dropping CC??

We were in a fine arts program that followed a history cycle - but I forgot how many years - I don't think it was 4. It was called the Masters Academy of Fine Arts with locations in Georgia and I think Tennessee,

For the elementary grades, it's not academic - but it certainly helped me to flesh out our studies with all the music, art, drama, and history activities that I found hard to do at home. They do have an academic program similar to challenge for middle and high school - can't remember if its necessarily classical.

A link, pretty please??

:bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear:

I'm not aware of anything nationally. The group we're with now is great, but I see a problem on the horizon with continuing all through high school ;). I'm set for next year, but after that will probably mean hauling kids different directions and perhaps having to piece things together for last year or so of high school. We like having a a weekly academic co-op and it helps me juggle life outside of homeschooling effectively.

We have a UMS school nearby, but it has about 15 students last I heard and is only K-4, and I doubt that it will expand fast enough to help us.

There is one group 15 minutes away that provides the framework for teachers to use their facility and advertising, and then you register with and pay the teacher directly. Most of the people who teach there are retired teachers or homeschool parents who have grown or older kids. Unfortunately the classes they offer are somewht limited.

Another group 30 minutes away offers a wider range of classes. The administrator hires teachers, advertises, collects fees, and keeps it all going. That group has a wide range of classes. I've often wondered if they might become a UMS at some point, but perhaps that's more formal than they'd like to be. That's probably what we'd do if our current option doesn't offer what we need. Maybe you could do something like that?

Edited by GVA

I don't know where you are, but there's a really excellent classical co-op in Federal Way WA. It's called HIS co-op. Many of my friends are involved in this one, and it's very good. One must be very involved however; something to keep in mind.

I don't belong to this, a few of my friends do. I'm sorry I don't have a link. If they have a website, which I'm not sure if they do or not, it can maybe be googled. :confused:

Others to consider (though these are not co-ops):

Veritas Schools - classical, meets 1 or 2 days per week depending on classes taken

Independent Studies - meets twice per week, geared toward high school requirements. I looked at this website a couple years ago and found a course listing but I don't see that now.

Someone mentioned Master's Academy. The one nearest us also offers Cordis Academy, which is more academic focused. They meet once a week, but are planning to move to 2x/wk next year. Standard offerings--math, science, history, English, Spanish.

Are you dropping CC??

It's currently at six, but dd says she's heard gossip that they're going to change it to four or five. :lol:

Cordis Academy is the academic program but I think it's *only* here in Georgia. They're moving from a one day a week program for it to two days a week. It does appear to be classical but I've never investigated it thoroughly.