Menu

Looking for funny books

My dc hate being read too, well they don't like reading in general. I checked out Pixxa, Pigs and Poetry by Jack Prelutsky and they love it! They keep laughing and telling each other too be quiet so they can hear. I think I found their sweet spot! Now I'm on a quest to find books that will hit their sweet spot. Know of any good books that make you laugh?

My dc hate being read too, well they don't like reading in general. I checked out Pixxa, Pigs and Poetry by Jack Prelutsky and they love it! They keep laughing and telling each other too be quiet so they can hear. I think I found their sweet spot! Now I'm on a quest to find books that will hit their sweet spot. Know of any good books that make you laugh?

Cheaper by the Dozen

The Great Brain

The Great Turkey Walk

Pretty much anything by Daniel Pinkwater can get us going. We just read his The Neddiad, which is hilarious.

And Farrarwilliams might get to this before me, but I'll suggest Squids Will Be Squids. :)

Ooh, yes, two of my favorites. :D

Also agreed on the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. And I can't believe no one said Roald Dahl off the bat.

Also, we really have been enjoying Arabel's Raven by Joan Aiken and the rest of the Arabel and Mortimer books by her. The humor is a little understated (it's very British) but if you start to picture a raven as madcap and bizarre as Mortimer, then it can become very funny indeed.

Someone is bound to mention Hank the Cowdog soon. Also, the Chet Gecko mysteries are another funny series that could be a read aloud. Chet is a mystery solving gecko. The books are written like hard boiled detective books, but filled with really bad (or good... or good/bad?) animal puns.

I think I have probably posted this list from my blog way too many times in shameless self-promotion, but it's a few of my favorite funny picture books.

ETA: And since the OP began with poetry, I think that Shel Silverstein is an obvious pick as well! My boys can never get enough of the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt on a chain.

Edited by farrarwilliams

Also, we really have been enjoying Arabel's Raven by Joan Aiken and the rest of the Arabel and Mortimer books by her. The humor is a little understated (it's very British) but if you start to picture a raven as madcap and bizarre as Mortimer, then it can become very funny indeed.

Is that the one whose mean cousins call her 'orrible Arabel? I remember that from Cricket magazine back in the 70s.

Is that the one whose mean cousins call her 'orrible Arabel? I remember that from Cricket magazine back in the 70s.

Yes! They're compiled into books - I think there are four or so? And the raven keeps eating stairs. I have yet to be able to picture this fully, but it amuses me conceptually very much.

Also, I think it's funny that I said someone would mention Hank the Cowdog soon and then on the next post after mine, someone did. Perhaps I'll become a forum post predictor... But I could probably only do it for books threads. I know what you've read...

• 2 weeks later...
The Twits by Roald Dahl had my kids rolling on the floor laughing.

:iagree: Anything by Roald Dahl. :D

We also love the Arabel and Mortimer series.

The Doll People series - not funny all the way, but very humorous at times and very, very engaging

The Racketty-Packetty House by Frances Hodgson Burnett - ditto

Humphrey the Hamster series

Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

Freddy Books - we have the Freddy Anniversary Collection and the dc loved that. There were lots of funny parts, but parts of it might drag on a bit.

Owls in the Family - very funny

Detectives in Togas (as well as its sequel) - loved this

If you're familiar with British culture, etc. - we just started this yesterday and were crying from laughter. I grew up loving the TV series, and never even knew that there was a book.