Menu

I am bored out of my mind ... learning to knit questions inside

I can't do anything physical while I recover from the heart attack. I have strict limitations (no vacuuming, yay!) and for some reason, my energy level is low and I get tired easily.

I am tired of reading!!! I want to clean and bake bread -- the very things I give up in favor of reading during normal times!

I just discovered that I own 2 bamboo 13" No. 10 (6 mm) knitting needles, in an unopened package. They didn't appear by magic -- I must have bought them years ago when I got the idea of learning to knit.

I can buy a learn to knit book and/or watch Youtube videos or go to knitting websites for instructions.

What kind of yarn should I buy?

Are these needles the right size for whatever beginners make?

What do beginners make? A scarf might work ... just no dishcloths, because I am an old dog who is not going to give up her sponges.

Thank you for your advice.

RC

Yay, another knitter! I highly recommend knittinghelp.com for tutorials. I spent a couple of days watching and going, "huh??" I'd watch a few seconds, pause it, make my yarn look like the video's, watch a few more seconds, and so on, and eventually it just clicked.

Size 10 needles should serve you fine for starting out. I generally prefer slightly smaller, because I like a denser knit (especially for diaper covers), but 10 is just fine. I would get yarn that says worsted, or possibly bulky, on the label. Bulky will give you a denser product; worsted may have more of a lacy look -- really depends on what you want. I am a fan of wool myself, and some acrylics are nice. (Cotton is nice too, but it does not have the "give" that wool does, and it can be hard on the hands. It does make nice washcloths though.) Ravelry.com is a great place for more specific help, and you can also type in what size needles you want to use and get specific project suggestions. Washcloths, scarves, beanbags, pillow covers, etc. are simple projects, but personally, I vote for practicing on some scrap yarn and then starting on a project that appeals to you. Sometimes simple is good; sometimes it's not interesting, so pick what you like. It's easy enough to remove and redo stitches if they're not right.

Knitpicks.com has a good selection of yarns. Their Wool of the Andes varies a bit in texture but has mostly been pretty soft, and it's a great price for starters.

you can do a scarf. you can do anything knit flat, so really you could find a sweater that needs seaming and knit that. Size 10s may be a bit large, but they can be good for learning on. You can use any yarn you want, however I personally despise acrylic yarns, and prefer wool. I like knitpicks.com for good, "cheap" wool, but I'm also a wool snob :lol: you'd probably faint at some of my "good" stuff.

I can't help on the yarn as I just pick what looks pretty at the store when I am there. I would recommend youtube for videos they are free and that is how I learned :001_smile: so why not use them first. For needles I have 2 sets of 8 and 10, one each of straight and one each round for hats.

I have made 3 scarfs and 3 hats. Hats I'm fine with till its time to reduce and close, I can never do that right so will stick to hats.

I was told from the ladies here to join ralvery.com, which I did, and there is a WTM group over there.

Enjoy your knitting adventure and post pictures of WIP's.

I'm so not a knitter. I did try. I did want to learn. So, with that intro, you can decide if you want my advice :D

I started out making scarves. Then I found a nice pattern for a poncho made from 2 pieces of knitted material stitched together.

http://www.favecrafts.com/Knit-Sweaters/Two-Piece-Knit-Poncho#

HTH

Thanks for the link, HollyDay! I have an itch to knit the poncho after looking at it. I've had some really nice yarn sitting in my bag for way too long now.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I can't do anything physical while I recover from the heart attack. I have strict limitations (no vacuuming, yay!) and for some reason, my energy level is low and I get tired easily.

I am tired of reading!!! I want to clean and bake bread -- the very things I give up in favor of reading during normal times!

I just discovered that I own 2 bamboo 13" No. 10 (6 mm) knitting needles, in an unopened package. They didn't appear by magic -- I must have bought them years ago when I got the idea of learning to knit.

I can buy a learn to knit book and/or watch Youtube videos or go to knitting websites for instructions.

What kind of yarn should I buy?

Are these needles the right size for whatever beginners make?

What do beginners make? A scarf might work ... just no dishcloths, because I am an old dog who is not going to give up her sponges.

Thank you for your advice.

RC

I am an on and off again knitter that never seems to advance too quickly at a time. But still, it's fun to pull out the knitting when you want something else to do. I love working with my hands, and knitting is a soothing pastime. I can see in the future that I might want to take a knitting class so I can learn more things than I would do on my own. I've watched some tutorials online, but they don't answer me back when I have questions. :~p

So far in my knitting career I've made scarves out of wool and also acrylic, dishcloths from cotton yarn and two really nice woolen tea cozies that I'm very proud of. Learning to do tea cozies has given me the courage to try knitting hats, so that will be one of the next projects I'm going to take on. And all those dishcloths I made last year give me courage to make the poncho I just posted about. When you learn the smaller projects, they teach you techniques that can be used for bigger ones.

Knitpicks.com is a great resource for knitters. I've ordered from them twice and got excellent customer service and high quality products. It's also fun to walk through a knitting store to touch and feel all the different types of yarn.

I hope you enjoy learning to knit, RoughCollie! I'd say start with the needles you have and if you enjoy knitting, add to your collection from there. Get yourself a knitting bag too.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Knitting a scarf is good because it's simple, and size 10 needles are nice & big so it should go quickly. Personally, I find scarves difficult because I feel like I'm never going to finish. Wool yarn has the nicest elasticity, but if you don't want to spend too much to start, a wool blend will be fine.