Menu

homemade drinkable yogurt

My son really like the Stonyfield farms drinkable yogurt. How is that different from regular yogurt? Is it just runnier or is there a bigger difference?

I'm going to try and make crock pot yogurt today. If I make regular yogurt, do I just thin it down with more milk? I was going to put it in the blender with fruit then so he could drink.

Anyone?

My son really like the Stonyfield farms drinkable yogurt. How is that different from regular yogurt? Is it just runnier or is there a bigger difference?

I'm going to try and make crock pot yogurt today. If I make regular yogurt, do I just thin it down with more milk? I was going to put it in the blender with fruit then so he could drink.

Anyone?

Have you made crockpot yogurt before? It is the only kind I make and it is really thin. We don't eat it with a spoon (except in cereal) because it is so thin. It makes a mean smoothie though!

I make drinkable yogurt by just diluting regular yogurt with cold water. When you add salt, it's ayran, a Turkish drink. DD can't get enough of it.

We make a similar Persian style drink called "dugh" or "abdugh."

It is typically made with sparkling water these days (but was often traditionally made with still water), and is flavored with salt, black pepper, and fresh mint leaves. Sounds like a weird combo, but it is delicious.

The trick to making this is to put the chosen amount of youghurt in a glass and then to slowly stir in part of water. Then stir well until smooth before adding the rest of the water. ETA: You know this I'm sure, this for the masses :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We make a similar Persian style drink called "dugh" or "abdugh."

It is typically made with sparkling water these days (but was often traditionally made with still water), and is flavored with salt, black pepper, and fresh mint leaves. Sounds like a weird combo, but it is delicious.

The trick to making this is to put the chosen amount of youghurt in a glass and then to slowly stir in part of water. Then stir well until smooth before adding the rest of the water. ETA: You know this I'm sure, this for the masses :D

Bill

Now I've never heard of sparkling water, mint, and pepper, but it probably is a similar drink!

DD loves to stir the yogurt in the cup while I slowly add the water. She especially likes to instruct me in the ways of reducing lumps :tongue_smilie:. I've also found if you add the salt before adding the water it blends better as well.

Ayran is different from Keffir from what DH tells me. Ayran is made from "regular" yogurt while keffir does involve a different culture of some sort.

Now I've never heard of sparkling water, mint, and pepper, but it probably is a similar drink!

DD loves to stir the yogurt in the cup while I slowly add the water. She especially likes to instruct me in the ways of reducing lumps :tongue_smilie:. I've also found if you add the salt before adding the water it blends better as well.

Ayran is different from Keffir from what DH tells me. Ayran is made from "regular" yogurt while keffir does involve a different culture of some sort.

I got inspired and am drinking an abdugh right now. We didn't have any sparkling water so I make it with still water.

I have also made variations with ground fresh-roasted cumin, and others with scant amounts of curry powder.

The salt, black pepper, and mint is a classic. Try it sometime with sparkling water. It's good!

Bill

I got inspired and am drinking an abdugh right now. We didn't have any sparkling water so I make it with still water.

I have also made variations with ground fresh-roasted cumin, and others with scant amounts of curry powder.

The salt, black pepper, and mint is a classic. Try it sometime with sparkling water. It's good!

Bill

Next time we have lahmacun I will. I don't like ayran (or other salty yogurt drinks) except when having grilled meat - doner, karisik izgara, lahmacun. DD on the other hand, would jump if I mentioned it.

Yep - she jumped. Off to stir some yogurt....

We put about 1 part fruit to one part regular yogurt in the blender, and after blending it's plenty drinkable. If I want a spoonable yogurt, I have to blend the fruit without the yogurt, and either do fruit-on-the-bottom or mix it by hand.

Strawberry smoothies will last a couple days - just need to be shaken. Anything with blueberry will get weirdly solid and may separate- something in the blueberries, I suppose.

My yogurt recipe is from a fellow board member, but I don't remember who to credit. It's so easy too.

1. Bring 4 cups of whole milk (I've used lower % milk) or 2 cups whole and 2 cups half and half up to 180' in a pan.

2. Remove from heat and let cool down to 120' (no cooler that that!)

3. Meanwhile heat some water in a quart jar in the microwave to get the jar nice and warm. Empty the water out of the jar and put 1-3 Tablespoons of plain yogurt in the bottom, add the warm milk and stir well for about 20 seconds. Put the lid on and wrap in a blanket or towel for 6-8 hours. 6=less tart. That's it!

It will thicken up after refrigerating. Remember to save some yogurt (plain) for your next batch.

I add in homemade vanilla or other flavor to the milk before pouring into the jar. Once the jar or bowl is wrapped in the towel I usually let it set in the microwave (or some undrafty place) for around 7 hours.

This recipe is easy and flexible. I know some use a big thermos to incubate it vs the blanket wrap.

Thank you

Drinkable 'yogurt' is a different culture. It is keffir. You can use the type he likes to culture a batch of your own. You can sometimes find keffir seeds at a co-op health food store.

I think kefir is actually a completely different thing that what the OP is talking about. I think she is referencing those little bottles of thinned out flavoured yoghurt that is sold next to the yoghurt in grocery stores. At home you could make it by blending yoghurt in a blender with some fruit and thinning it out with juice or more milk.