Menu

note taking method with multi-color pen; where did I read about this?

I know this is a strange question but this is really bugging me! About 12-18 months ago I remember reading about a note-taking method. It was in a book or an e-book/article that had something to do with homeschooling and/or college preparation or maybe Thomas Jefferson Education?? The main topic was not note-taking, but the author described her method as an aside.

Here's what I remember:

--She used a multi-color pen to take notes during class. Each color had an assigned category. One color for dates, one color for names, etc.

--She reviewed all of her notes every single day outside class, I believe over breakfast.

--The author was definitely a woman, an adult taking a night class. She earned an A in the class.

--Her husband tried the same note taking method in a different class and it worked for him as well.

Feel free to laugh at the irony of me not being able to remember the source of this note memory system! But only if you try to help me! :)

Superstar Student used different colored pens. They teach the student to draw a line down the middle of the page. Reading notes are taken in red pen on the left side, before the classroom lecture. Lecture notes are taken on the right side in blue pen. I think they was a third step where you summarize, but not sure about that.

you can get 4 color pens at Amazon. I also just ordered this 10 color pen... it looks so purty! :)

You know these are the times I miss my Amazon prime. 3.99 and prime shipping. You could order one pen for 3.99 and it would be at your doorstep via UPS in two days. One pen, one pretty cool looking pen. You could send random friends a pen just because. You could send random friends surprise pens. Wouldn't that be fun? You think I'm kidding. If I won the lottery I would do silly things like that. Order all my friends a pen like that. That's the kind of pen that says "I am cool, play with me." It would make them smile. :lol:

You know these are the times I miss my Amazon prime. 3.99 and prime shipping. You could order one pen for 3.99 and it would be at your doorstep via UPS in two days. One pen, one pretty cool looking pen. You could send random friends a pen just because. You could send random friends surprise pens. Wouldn't that be fun? You think I'm kidding. If I won the lottery I would do silly things like that. Order all my friends a pen like that. That's the kind of pen that says "I am cool, play with me." It would make them smile. :lol:

how fun!! have you done the amazon mom prime trial yet? 3 months free.... I *heart* amazon prime!

I am no help. Can someone tell me where to get multi-colored pens? I haven't seen those since I left high school 25 years ago.

ETA: I did find this article at ehow. Maybe it will help in some way.

I got a three pack of fine tip Pilot G2 Gel Rolling Ball pens with contoured rubber grips at Wal-mart and Target. I buy the package that has Fushia, Purple and Teal. They also have red, blue and black. I feel like my writing stands out due to the fact that the colors are attention grabbing and unusual. I also remember reading that writing with different colors in general help cement memories by adding additional sensory imput that lays down different pathways for remembering it later.

way back, decades ago it was a method for studying the Bible, kind of made famous with the Inductive Bible- Kay Arthur was the author, she has Bible study series. That is where I know the color pen method- each color stood for something like -prophecy, -promise- History.

I am no help. Can someone tell me where to get multi-colored pens? I haven't seen those since I left high school 25 years ago.

ETA: I did find this article at ehow. Maybe it will help in some way.

HEB (local grocery store. A lot like a Fred Meyer or Walmart) has them around here in the office supply section. In fact, the last one I saw had two different kinds -- the typical red/green/blue/black and a "pastel" version with lt blue, pink, purple, and one other color.

way back, decades ago it was a method for studying the Bible, kind of made famous with the Inductive Bible- Kay Arthur was the author, she has Bible study series. That is where I know the color pen method- each color stood for something like -prophecy, -promise- History.

I am taking the Daniel series right now. They still teach it. not just colors but also symbols -- I can't keep up with that part but I find it fascinating!

Digging into deep crevices of my memory, I can see the article. It was about independent learning, a homeschool mother whose children plan their own school schedules from about 5th grade on, with mom's help of course. I think it was linked here on this board and then I printed it out to read it. It was formatted like a magazine article.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?