Menu

What book is this?

I read it around 5th grade I think.

The family lived in indian territory. The daughter is taken captive by the indians and her family is killed. The one scene I really remembered, all these years later was, back in the indian camp/villiage, she saw one of the men taking scalps out of bag. The line was something like "There was no mistaking Ma's bright red hair."

Anyone??

I read it around 5th grade I think.

The family lived in indian territory. The daughter is taken captive by the indians and her family is killed. The one scene I really remembered, all these years later was, back in the indian camp/villiage, she saw one of the men taking scalps out of bag. The line was something like "There was no mistaking Ma's bright red hair."

Anyone??

Oh my gosh. I remember this book, too! I think I read it in 6th grade? I don't remember if we read it the same time we read "A Light in the Forest."

Possible leads? (Unless you were the one who posted this topic on goodreads! :D)

What's The name of That Book??? - YA book about girl captured by indians

ACK! I just looked at that list! There certainly are a lot of books based on that! I'm thinking, based on just the color of the mom's hair, I'm going ot have a hard time figuring it out! LOL!

Maybe we'll just pick a good one and go with that! No point making myself crazy trying to find the books of my youth! (which is getting farther and farther away every day...:glare:)

ACK! I just looked at that list! There certainly are a lot of books based on that! I'm thinking, based on just the color of the mom's hair, I'm going ot have a hard time figuring it out! LOL!

If you seach the books on Amazon or on Google Books, you might find enough of an excerpt to recognize some text. The other thing I would try is Googling specific titles to look for book reviews. Someone else's review might give you the detail needed to clinch it.

Maybe we'll just pick a good one and go with that! No point making myself crazy trying to find the books of my youth! (which is getting farther and farther away every day...:glare:)

LOL!

Guest Kris MN

I recently read Calico Captive and am fairly certain that is not the one. I don't recall anything about scalps and a mother's red hair. Just thought I would help narrow it down.:)

Mary Jamison, Indian Captive.

Out of print, but here are links to used copies on Amazon Marketplace:

Mary Jamison, Indian Captive by Jeanne Lemonnier Gardner

Mary Jamison, Seneca Captive by Jeanne Lemonnier Gardner

These appear to be the same title, just different titles.

There's also a copy of this book listed in Paperbackswap, but it shows the cover of Lois Lenski's book instead (which does not appear to be the right one based on searching the words scalp and red via Look Inside feature), and the ISBNs don't match with Gardner's book.

Brenda is right, Indian Captive by Lenski. This is one of my all-time favorite hs books. The red haired scalp--yep, it's in there.

Well that's good because that's the one we ended up getting from the library! We started it today, but only got to chapter 3 so far.

It sort of sounds familiar, but at the same time it could be any story of the same theme. I'm realizing 30 years is a looooong time!