Menu

The local school districts.

brasilmom

Sorry if this does not belong here.

Since moving to WI I have been learning a lot about the school districts around us. Where we live the schools are supposed to be good (or great as they would say). The cities around us also have good systems (supposedly). Except for one that has been crumbling since we moved here 3 years ago and now seems to be completely bankrupt. A fellow homeschooler tutors some children in said district and tell me horror stories. From children on 4th grade that can barely read to the giving of a lap top to each child that completes the tutor section of whatever number of weeks. Now, yesterday she shared with me that the schools are cutting any and every thing except for academics. No Physical education, no recess, no time outside, no art, no music, and now no library. How they can cut library from the school I simply cannot comprehend. I understand that there are some budget issues, but how about those lap tops??? The system seems to be completely up side down!

How are the school system in your area in these times of budget constraint?

Be well

Miriam

A neighboring district "let go" the elementary school librarian. The teachers are now responsible for reshelving books etc. I think it shows how little they think of librarians. Elementary school is when you need a librarian to recommend books w/ in a kid's reading level and I'm sure it takes time to keep all the books in order.

Priorities are definitely skewed ..... :confused:

I've seen the laptops handed out to every student in another city before (not here), and I thought that was crazy. They're dealing with budget issues and complaining every single year about money, then they spend all that money on technology that is cool and all, but not *necessary*. And really, are the kids even going to use the laptops for school work? No, they'll stick games on them. :tongue_smilie:

They're also going to Smart Boards and other such things. Again, cool technology, but not really necessary, especially when they aren't sure if they can pay the teachers.

If they had a strong budget and could easily pay for teachers, school maintenance, and other such things, I'd be all for upgrading to Smart Boards and using other such technology in the classrooms. It just seems that priorities in all facets of the government are often skewed. But then again, I see the same thing in some families... The father loses his job and they're living off unemployment, so money is tight... Their cell phone service with a data plan ($$) and their high speed internet bills get paid, but their rent or mortgage and utilities bills fall by the wayside. Then they go asking for help, when they could have paid the important bills and let the "fun extras" go.

Our school district used stimulus funds to purchase iPod Touches to be used from 2nd grade on. Meanwhile, I think I have more books that the elementary and high school library put together. All middle/high school work is done on laptops and submitted via Google Docs. These kids can barely remember how to actually write anything.Kids who fail one subject are not required to re-take it. They are just advanced to the next level. And we won't even go into the discipline issues.:glare:

That depends a little on the source of the funding. Sometime laptops and SMART boards are paid for by grants. If they didn't hand out the laptops, they still wouldn't be able to use that money on teachers and librarians.

Which is a huge part of the problem! One school district here gave out iTouches to every student. The money should be allowed to pay for more essential things like good teachers, good books, and safe buildings.

I agree the priorities are off... but, usually the money for something special (like laptops) comes from a different funding source. Most likely, somebody in the district wrote a grant and got HP or whoever to provide the laptops. They're almost certainly not in the regular budget that provides for teachers and staff and textbooks and libraries. It's like giving candy to people who are on rations of real food... Wrong, but still... If I were in charge of such a district, I probably wouldn't withhold the laptops (or whatever) simply because of the austerity measures happening in the rest of the budget.

Edited by Momling

Our school district used stimulus funds to purchase iPod Touches to be used from 2nd grade on.

What does an ipod have to do with learning? They look fun, but what's the educational value? I'm pretty out of the loop with regard to technology so I'm reserving judgment until I hear the rationale for their decision. Anyone care to help bring me up to speed?

Which is a huge part of the problem! One school district here gave out iTouches to every student. The money should be allowed to pay for more essential things like good teachers, good books, and safe buildings.
:iagree:

Diane Ravitch, in her book "The Death and Life of the Great American School System," talks about the "Billionaire Boys Club" where rich people/organizations give money/technology to schools and no one questions it because they don't want to lose those sources of funds. It was very interesting. Eye-opening.

There is a lot of time, money and energy expended by the school districts to chase after grant monies that could be better applied immediately and directly into the schools. It doesn't matter, in my opinion, if the gadgets are *given* to the schools via grants - they are still a distraction from the basic job of the schools, which is to make sure that every child can read, write and do basic math.

What does an ipod have to do with learning? They look fun, but what's the educational value? I'm pretty out of the loop with regard to technology so I'm reserving judgment until I hear the rationale for their decision. Anyone care to help bring me up to speed?

Well, I have my thoughts on the issue. Ours is a rural school district. These small schools are often looked upon as "backward" and "countrified". Honestly, I think this is their attempt to be relevent. I have a smartphone with educational apps. When we are waiting somewhere, I will occasionally let then play with the flashcard app or some other "learning" app, but this is outside of school time. I know many people here use iPads in school, but I don't.

Austin sounds a lot like what they are doing in surrounding communities around here. It is a sad reality.

I do not know how all the grants work. However, facing the current economic situation, it would be wise of those offering grants to have the school apply to needed resources. Such as TEACHERS, and librarians. I guess the "wise" cannot figure that out.

Unfortunately I am unable to understand the educational benefit of giving a child a high tech item either. Certainly the items are unlikely to be used for educational purposes and the money can be best applied to educational resources. It is a sad situation.