Menu

SB 136 UPDATE: Bill withdrawn.

Agreed. Unfortunately I haven't seen her in quite some time so have no update. My DH is an officer with higher (not sure how to phrase it) jurisdiction than the village, so I doubt I will enounter this. And so I probably won't have an opportunity to address it personally. I did encourage her to file a complaint. Our chief is really shady though. Sometimes I think I should call Chuck Goudie. Anyway, I didn't mean to veer the thread off topic. Sorry.

Agreed. Unfortunately I haven't seen her in quite some time so have no update. My DH is an officer with higher (not sure how to phrase it) jurisdiction than the village, so I doubt I will enounter this. And so I probably won't have an opportunity to address it personally. I did encourage her to file a complaint. Our chief is really shady though. Sometimes I think I should call Chuck Goudie. Anyway, I didn't mean to veer the thread off topic. Sorry.

Chicago politics...or maybe just politics in general...:grouphug::grouphug:

I'm trying to catch up after a long day homeschooling. Is it off the table or not?

The Senator has stated that he plans to reword the bill to be directed specifically at homeschoolers. So it's technically "off the table" but only for revision.

I'm waiting to read post interviews and blogs (especially Karen's).

The Senator has stated that he plans to reword the bill to be directed specifically at homeschoolers. So it's technically "off the table" but only for revision.

Wonder if he'll do what they do here in MO when they're trying to pull stuff like this... take it off the table until the heat dies down, hope that the 4,000 who were there today will go home and "forget", and then slip it through at night. :glare:

Wonder if he'll do what they do here in MO when they're trying to pull stuff like this... take it off the table until the heat dies down, hope that the 4,000 who were there today will go home and "forget", and then slip it through at night. :glare:

:lol::lol: He does not know us very well, does he? He has just woken the sleeping bear.

It isn't over.

He plans on rewording the bill to be exclusive towards homeschoolers.

They are only allowing four speakers: all male, all handpicked by ICHE.

That ticked me off. I went there prepared to speak. I was in the room, fifth row back. After signing up to be a witness ANYWAY, I asked other moms in the room what they thought about that. A lobbyist (Pastor Bob) said that it was important that we not start fighting among ourselves (a good point) and I decided to stop riling the crowd ;). They did end up adding another witness, a woman named Dorothy (I didn't catch her last name) who advocates on behalf of five homeschooling groups, both religious and secular. I was really glad she spoke because I truly felt that she was representing ME.

I also appreciated the testimony of Jefferey Lewis (a homeschooing dad and attorney).

The bill was withdrawn pending today's hearing. I talked to my State Senator, Dave Luechtefeld, who is on the Education Committee, today as I was driving home, and he told me that he thinks he has enough votes to kill the bill permanently. He said ALL the committee members were impressed with the numbers who turned out today!!

Edited by Mother Superior

Dorothy Werner is one of the founding members of HOUSE (Home Oriented Unique Schooling Experience,) a statewide group of non-sectarian homeschool groups. We used to have a chapter here in the far western suburbs. It is good that they have someone representing homeschoolers who are not doing it primarily for religious reasons.

THAT's who she was. I remembered Dorothy, but couldn't remember her last name. She was AWESOME.

That ticked me off. I went there prepared to speak. I was in the room, fifth row back, after signing up to be a witness ANYWAY, I asked other moms in the room what they thought about that. A lobbyist (Pastor Bob) said that it was important that we not start fighting among ourselves (a good point) and I decided to stop riling the crowd ;). They did end up adding another witness, a woman named Dorothy (I didn't catch her last name) who advocates on behalf of five homeschooling groups, both religious and secular. I was really glad she spoke because I truly felt that she was representing ME.

I also appreciated the testimony of Jefferey Lewis (a homeschooing dad and attorney).

The bill was withdrawn pending today's hearing. I talked to my State Senator, Dave Luechtefeld, who is on the Education Committee, today as I was driving home, and he told me that he thinks he has enough votes to kill the bill permanently. He said ALL the committee members were impressed with the numbers who turned out today!!

Thanks for the update :) The FB page (Stop SB 136) is reporting a lot of people's Senators being against the bill.

It would have been great if you had been able to speak.

The twitter feed is fascinating, too. Some senator opposes homeschooling because she can't imagine why we want to be with our kids all day. She likes a break from her kids.

Is this 1989 in America?? Has the public learned nothing about homeschooling?

That was the Committee Chair. She said that in her opening remarks. She meant it as a complement (you guys must be SAINTS to be at home with your kids all day!) but it felt backhanded to me.

Her remarks throughout the hearing definitely made me worry that, if she had her way, we'd all have to have education degrees, register, and test every year.

I talked to my State Senator, Dave Luechtefeld, who is on the Education Committee, today as I was driving home, and he told me that he thinks he has enough votes to kill the bill permanently. He said ALL the committee members were impressed with the numbers who turned out today!!

:hurray:

Just to make sure everyone knows, the bill isn't officially dead yet. Please continue to call, email, send letters to your senator and the members of the committee.

Do you know who was for it and who was against it? I'd like to send thank you letters to those who opposed this bill. I'll send those who support it a different kind of letter :D

ETA: According top a poster on the FB STOP SB 136 site Schmidt, Johnson and Murphy are opposed.

Edited by ELaurie

Do you know who was for it and who was against it? I'd like to send thank you letters to those who opposed this bill. I'll send those who support it a different kind of letter :D

This is what I received from the AdHoc group (Dorothy Werner from Ad Hoc spoke at the hearing yesterday):

"My general impressions of the senators on the Education committee is

that several of them are now opposed to passing any legislation to

further regulate us. The ones I am relatively certain of are:

Meeks (who wasn't present, but we've heard that he opposes it)

Garrett - who asked several very pertinent questions

Luechtefeld - who also asked some great questions, and seemed very

skeptical of the need for leglation

McCarter - who was very interested in the Martwick story

Schmidt - who has already expressed her opposition to the bill

The others on the committee who I believe may still need more convincing

are:

Lightford - who was the chair of this meeting and kept expressing her

belief that these kids need to be monitored and kept from falling

through the cracks

Martinez - who seemed sincere but didn't really know enough about

homeschooling

Forby - I remember hearing his name but don't know what his stand is

Mulroe - I have no information about him

Johnson - who is new on the committee"

This is what I received from the AdHoc group (Dorothy Werner from Ad Hoc spoke at the hearing yesterday):

"My general impressions of the senators on the Education committee is

that several of them are now opposed to passing any legislation to

further regulate us. The ones I am relatively certain of are:

Meeks (who wasn't present, but we've heard that he opposes it)

Garrett - who asked several very pertinent questions

Luechtefeld - who also asked some great questions, and seemed very

skeptical of the need for leglation

McCarter - who was very interested in the Martwick story

Schmidt - who has already expressed her opposition to the bill

The others on the committee who I believe may still need more convincing

are:

Lightford - who was the chair of this meeting and kept expressing her

belief that these kids need to be monitored and kept from falling

through the cracks

Martinez - who seemed sincere but didn't really know enough about

homeschooling

Forby - I remember hearing his name but don't know what his stand is

Mulroe - I have no information about him

Johnson - who is new on the committee"

Thank you!

I know. I don't get to the PO very often and really would not put out the effort for this. That's why I was hoping it would show up online, but that's probably not going to happen.

Maybe someone will post it online - if so I'll be sure to post a link. I'm interested too.

This isn't over. The bill has been tabled but Sen. Maloney just does not get it - apparently.

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2011/02/maloney-tells-radio-talk-show-host-he-still-plans-to-identify-home-schoolers.html

Despite the head honcho of truant officers publicly saying he would use the registration to trample on the 4th amendments rights of homeschoolers.....:glare:

Senator Maloney states in the following radio interview from today that SB136 is dead, but he is currently talking to homeschoolers to identify non-teaching homeschoolers and apply truancy laws. He is planning to introduce completely new legislation.Why this man is dead set on continuing this is beyond me.

http://www.971talk.com/Dana/DanaTV/View.aspx?PostID=36958

ETA: Double-post, but good to listen to the actual interview. He doesn't answer several of her questions. Interesting.

Senator Maloney states in the following radio interview from today that SB136 is dead, but he is currently talking to homeschoolers to identify non-teaching homeschoolers and apply truancy laws. He is planning to introduce completely new legislation.Why this man is dead set on continuing this is beyond me.

ETA: Double-post, but good to listen to the actual interview. He doesn't answer several of her questions. Interesting.

According to Stop SB 136 on Facebook, there is supposed to be a rally at his office on Feb. 26th. I don't know if they're still planning on it since the bill has been tabled, but after that interview, I'm betting it's still on. What a noob! :banghead:

And this is in a state that needs to borrow a couple billion dollars to pay LAST YEAR'S bills! Focus on the state's fiscal mess, dude!

What I'm pondering is what requirements could anyone come up with that don't infringe on our privacy or rights?

I have to say I'm a PITA when I'm annoyed (which I am over this whole thing). I don't have time to jump through the hoops of a system with standards lower than mine, and which doesn't even get a majority of its students to meet those expectations.

Anyone checking up on us might have to go home and have a drink.