Menu

Phantom smells?

Do you ever smell weird things that aren't there?

First I kept smelling dog poop. I didn't think a lot of it because we have a dog. I would search around, make dd look around, check everywhere, give the dog a bath but it still persisted. I figued the dog had gas or something. :lol: Poor dog was getting A LOT of baths.

But now...I am smelling smoke. I smell smoke ALL the time! It isn't like chimney smoke but cigarette smoke. It is driving me nuts. I know none of us was smoking and no one has been around smokers. I live in a house, not an apartment.

What could be causing this? It is driving me batty!

Well this is going to sound weird but when I changed my diet years ago to reduce yeast, I smelled burnt smells ALL the time. It was annoying! I was told it was the yeast in my sinuses dying off. No clue if that's true or not but on the off chance... did you recently change you diet?? :)

ETA: The smell did go away.

Oh geez...I just had an MRI of my back and now I need one of my head? Poo.

You might go in and see if your dr thinks it possible to run a course of antibiotics, and see if the smells go away. I was on them for about 40 days (it was only supposed to be 30, but I had an allergic reation after a week and had to start over.)

I didn't have time to read the links above, but I know this can be a sign of having a seizure disorder. My sister had this and had been having mild seizures in her sleep for years, but didn't know it until she had a strong one that caused her to severely bruise her tongue and she woke up unable to see in one eye. She's now on meds and doing fine, but another friend of hers who has seizures also had the cigarette smoke "aura" thing that came before her seizures. Definitely worth checking out, IMO!

Do you smell it everywhere in your house? Or in certain rooms?

Our nieighbor smelled smoke and called my DH over one night. They thought is was an old doorbell or a dead mouse..kind of run the gamut of things it could be. Eventually she kept smelling it and called him over again. Their main wires coming into the house were melting..their house should have burned down months before then! He shut off their electricity and called our friend who is an electrician.. neither he nor my DH had ever seen such a mess!

Edited by KatieinMich