Menu

New to Classical Education...doing CC Cycle 3 next year...HELP!

tiffanieh

Hello!

I am very new to classical education. We have done Heart of Dakota for the past three years, but for next year we have signed up to be a part of Classical Conversations. They will be on Cycle 3.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what I should do for our history/science/literature studies. I know some women in the group use SOTW and just follow along with whatever memory work was done that week in CC to study at home. Others don't follow the same history timeline at home and do their own history curriculum.

I want next year to be as successful as possible for my boys. I will have a 2nd grader (older 2nd grader though so he's more advanced) and a 4th grader.

We use Math U See and Shirley English too. The older one will be doing Essentials with CC as well.

Thank you so much for your opinion and sharing your own personal experiences!!!

Tiffanie

We use the audio of the Story of the World for whatever the history sentence is. We might pull books out of our stash or the library to read that go along with that topic for the week. We love CC. We did it with a group last year and the first semester this year. Then the group dissolved but we continued on our own with it. Youtube is a great resource for CC. There is usually a group who puts the science memory work to song and sometimes the English and puts it on youtube. I have girls and they learn really well to song, so we get a lot from that.

We listen through all the audios of SOTW as we ride in the car. The kids really enjoy that, and they are on their second go-around with the cds. We read and dig deeper on the various points that come up in the history sentences as we go. Last semester we did a great lap book on the middle ages which incorporated tons of research which developed from our history sentences. It's been a GREAT year.

My plan for next year, since it is US History year, is to cover the Modern times CDs and material in SOTW because I like how SWB weaves the US into the rest of the world. I really like cycle 3 and FWIW, it is a really fun cycle with which to begin CC. It's really the easiest one in my opinion.

Here is what we will do as part of our CC group next year:

History - Story of the World and Usborne Internet Linked World History Encyclopedia/library books going along with the history sentences (American History for Cycle 3)

Science - We will either find a curriculum that covers the same topics of Cycle 3 (Anatomy and Chemistry) OR do science experiments and Usborne Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia/library books to cover the science sentences.

Literature - Not sure if you mean reading books for literature or grammar/writing. For my younger kids we will keep working on phonics and basic reading while adding spelling(AAS)/grammar(FLL)/writing(WWE). My older son will be working on literature studies of novels while doing AAS,FLL&WWE. Your older student being in Essentials will not need anything when it comes to grammar or writing as they will be covered in that class.

You will need to pick your own reading and math but most other things can be covered by your memory work....or you can add more to it....or do completely your own thing with your curriculum. You will see that the range of what people do varies greatly in each class. Each year I'm in CC, I find that I'm more able to use CC and bring in things to go with it rather than just using CC as an add on program.

Hope you enjoy your group next year. We love ours and can't imagine doing anything different.

Thank you ladies for replying to my thread. I'm still so uncertain of what to do. I just want to make sure that we are not all over the board and scrambling each week on what to do. I've really enjoyed and open and go style to homeschooling with HOD, but from all I've read CC really works best when you follow along with the History of CC rather than doing something completely on your own and using CC as a supplement.

I did, however, look at Sonlight. Their core 4 covers America in what seems to be somewhat on the same track as Cycle 3 of CC. Does anyone agree? Would this be a good curriculum to use along with Cycle 3? I'd love any opinions in this area.

I also saw that their Readers for 4 would be great for DS #1 to do on his own that would easily coincide with Cycle 3 for more in-depth readings.

Thank you again for anyone that replies. I have been pouring over the internet for what to do next year. I'm sooooooo looking forward to this years homeschool convention and pouring over all the yummy booths to figure all this out as well. Our convention (FPEA) is the most awesome highlight of my year.

Would you mind sharing which novels, etc you will have your kids read during cycle 3? I too use SOTW along with CC but I am having a hard time seeing what to use for literature choices.

Is there a list showing how SOTW correlates with Sonlight readers or other Lit based curricula?

Ask your director if she has the "unofficial list" of recommended reading. It has a huge list of novels, and extra reading indicated by grade level. That is often what I go by.

Since you are using CC, I recommend using their history sentences (topics) as the jumping off point for what you study that week in history. You could use a good spine book (Usborne encyclopedia, STOW, etc.) and then I HIGHLY suggest purchasing Christine Miller's All Through the Ages to help choose books to supplement what they are learning. It breaks down history topics into reading lists that are divided by grade level.

Also, you don't necessarily have to purchase Sonlight's core 4, but just make note of what books they are using and either buy them or get them through your library. Also check HOD and MFW for their book lists (these will also have some spine books listed that you might want to use). I always go through the Christine Miller book, Sonlight, HOD, and MFW to get ideas for read-alouds, spines, and independent reading for whatever topic we are working on in history. It has worked out really well for us! If you want to add in some hands-on activities you can purchase the STOW activity guide or History Pockets.

I don't see any reason to have a history "curriculum" per se to do CC. Let CC be your curriculum and just supplement the fun stuff. We also used their science topic for each week as our jumping off point to further study those topics as well. You will know what topics are coming up from the Foundations Guide, so you can plan in advance. Be sure and buy the audio CD that goes with cycle 3. We would play it in the car and it helped my dd learn her memory work so quickly and easily!

Have fun!!!

I read somewhere that SOTW 3 is a little more dry and not something the younger ones would enjoy... Is this correct or could the SOTW 3 be a helpful resource in planning out next year with CC? My daughter will be in first grade and I know we're supposed to start with the ancients, but I just don't feel like doing two different time periods at once. Anyway, the pp who mentioned that they listen to SOTW 3 in the car made me wonder if that is something we could do as well. We live in an area where we end up on longer car rides somewhat frequently. But I don't want to spend the money on it if it's not something Grace would be drawn into...

I've really enjoyed and open and go style to homeschooling with HOD, but from all I've read CC really works best when you follow along with the History of CC rather than doing something completely on your own and using CC as a supplement.

I did, however, look at Sonlight. Their core 4 covers America in what seems to be somewhat on the same track as Cycle 3 of CC. Does anyone agree? Would this be a good curriculum to use along with Cycle 3? I'd love any opinions in this area.

Next year will be our sixth with CC, and Sonlight is a great choice if your family enjoys read-alouds and a good list of readers. I agree that it is good to study approximately the same time period as CC does, but you truly don't have to do tons of planning and arranging if that isn't your thing and/or you don't have time. Your children will draw the connections even if you work at home doesn't exactly match the CC week.

My plate is extremely full outside of homeschooling, and I found that Sonlight helped us get far more done with more depth and enjoyment than when I planned it. Now that I have only one in Foundations/Essentials, we have found that a history textbook with selected novels works just great for our situation. Make it work for you...

I will be new to CC next year as well, and my kiddos are younger, so take my post with a grain of salt!

My plan is to follow loosely along with CC. I hope to be ahead of them, as we are starting homeschooling in May.

I am planning to use Beautiful Feet Early American History, and before we start I will cross-reference the CC Foundations Guide to the BF Guide. Then as we work our way through the BF Guide, every time we get to something that will be coming up in CC, we will start learning it.

Same for science - we are planning to use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, and I will cross-reference the CC Guide to it and teach the CC memory work when we learn it in context. Then when we get to it in the CC class, my kids will already be familiar with it.

We are already working on the geography & math stuff. I will probably skip the Latin & grammar the first year as I'm not really ready to teach it at home and I don't see much point in memorizing something when you have no clue what it means.

The history timeline is my hangup at this point. I can't possibly teach (even just a short familiarization) all that and stay ahead of CC.

I read somewhere that SOTW 3 is a little more dry and not something the younger ones would enjoy... Is this correct or could the SOTW 3 be a helpful resource in planning out next year with CC? My daughter will be in first grade and I know we're supposed to start with the ancients' date=' but I just don't feel like doing two different time periods at once. Anyway, the pp who mentioned that they listen to SOTW 3 in the car made me wonder if that is something we could do as well. We live in an area where we end up on longer car rides somewhat frequently. But I don't want to spend the money on it if it's not something Grace would be drawn into...[/quote']

It is my understanding that the number corresponds to the youngest grade that it would be appropriate for - so SOTW 3 would best be used by those in 3rd grade and higher.

Would you mind sharing which novels, etc you will have your kids read during cycle 3? I too use SOTW along with CC but I am having a hard time seeing what to use for literature choices.

Is there a list showing how SOTW correlates with Sonlight readers or other Lit based curricula?

Go to http://www.paulasarchives.com They have a list of Sonlight books in WTM order.

It is my understanding that the number corresponds to the youngest grade that it would be appropriate for - so SOTW 3 would best be used by those in 3rd grade and higher.

That may be "technically" true or even the intention behind it because it is a 4-year cycle history, but my dd5 has been thoroughly enjoying all of them except for no. 4, which we haven't really gotten into yet.

I read somewhere that SOTW 3 is a little more dry and not something the younger ones would enjoy... Is this correct or could the SOTW 3 be a helpful resource in planning out next year with CC? My daughter will be in first grade and I know we're supposed to start with the ancients' date=' but I just don't feel like doing two different time periods at once. Anyway, the pp who mentioned that they listen to SOTW 3 in the car made me wonder if that is something we could do as well. We live in an area where we end up on longer car rides somewhat frequently. But I don't want to spend the money on it if it's not something Grace would be drawn into...[/quote']

I decided not to do SOTW3 with my 7 and 5 year old. My 8 and 10 year old are enjoying it. I just read corresponding literature to my 7 and 5 year old... explaining some things from SOTW3 as needed to give them perspective. We use it on audio too and it works well... although I don't listen with them so I need to make time to read/listen before hand!

I want next year to be as successful as possible for my boys.

It struck me that you wrote this. I would suggest that you define what this means before you decide on something so that you are clear just what it is you want to accomplish.

My now 8 yo has been listening to SOTW for 5 years and loving it-still asks to listen to it, so I wouldn't count it based on age.

It struck me that you wrote this. I would suggest that you define what this means before you decide on something so that you are clear just what it is you want to accomplish.

My now 8 yo has been listening to SOTW for 5 years and loving it-still asks to listen to it, so I wouldn't count it based on age.

What I mean regarding successful is that I'm setting them up to thrive not be confused. If I was to follow along with the next HOD guide it does a 1 year overview of the entire history cycle. I'm sure it wouldn't be detrimental to them, but I want to set us up doing CC the best way possible for them to learn their memory work, understand how it's applied, and have fun along the way!

The problem is there are sooo many yummy curriculums out there. Obviously we can't do them all and I've just got to pick one. So these questions and answers I am receiving from other CC moms who have been there help me on my path to my own answer.

What I hear you saying is that you want to coordinate the content portion of history study with the "skill set" (i.w. memory work) being learned.

If you still like HOD, one way to think of it is that you'll be doing a historical overview with the VP cards anyway. They will "only" be memorizing 24 history sentences a year. (whereas they'll be memorizing 160 VP cards).

This is our 5th yr of using CC history sentences. My kids have also listened to SOTW during this time, listening in the afternoons to the CD that coordinates with the history cycle that we are on. We've used history spine that are different during this time period, read tons of historical fiction (sometimes outside of the cycle that we are on).

This week-end they've been listening to MOH CD's, (which someone loaned us cause I'm looking at adding in something else, too) which they've frequently stopped to comment on, question, talk with each other about how that fits in with something else they've read. We take the onion approach to history:001_smile:(layer upon layer upon layer)

The problem I, and others in my group, had in trying to coordinate the CC program with any other was the huge "gaps" between events that you'll be memorizing in the CC program. Having a spine (content) that we inserted the sentences into worked far better for our group than the other way around.

All the best. There are really so many great programs to sort through!

We are doing CC next year (and are currently in a group this year, our first). This year's cycle 2 is very hard to keep up with in terms of matching content, as there are huge jumps that a pp noted. Next year will be somewhat easier in that it is American history.

Since my kids are on the younger end (soon to be 5 and the other is 7, will be 8 in the fall), we're going to do America's Story as our spine and supplement with Sonlight and Beautiful Feet books.

America's story is here and also at Rainbow Resource: http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/History/livingworldhistoryframe.html

Otherwise, as others have said, much of our time at home is spent with math and language arts. We do a little bit of science (usually Elemental science or Usborne books) and read some history and that's it.

For the original poster, you won't need language arts for the one in Essentials, as that is a complete grammar and writing program. The only thing you might add is either spelling words and/or Latin or other language study.

Enjoying this discussion!

• 3 years later...
Guest Tch2kds

I am having the exact same delimma. I'm torn between using HOD, Sonlight D+E, or just building upon the memory work. I like the "open and go" of a complete program and I don't want to be scrambling for materials. But I am wondering if it would be too much to use CC and HOD or Sonlight. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!