Menu

Fixed: Do your kids consider science experiments school?

ElizabethB

Do your kids consider science experiments school?  

1. 1. Do your kids consider science experiments school?

• Yes, science experiments are school
    • No, science experiments are too fun to be school
    • What, am I supposed to do science experiments?
    • Other (Please vote Y/N if one option is true at leas 90% of the time.)

Well, we gave up on formal science earlier this year. DD has since done various things including build a volcano and a solar oven, and yesterday she was estimating the sizes of things based on a pearl necklace...

Science is definitely playtime around here, and she has much more enthusiasm for it than she did when I tried to make it part of her lessons.

I even use it as a prize, if you finish ____ (whatever dd is procrastinating doing), then we can do a science experiment. Dd loves experiments.

:iagree:

*I* count science experiments as school but my big girl doesn't think of them as school.

:iagree:

I told them they had to do a good job in "school" so they could do their science experiment. *I* considered it school, but did not advertise that fact.

OK, I see a new poll coming!

Help me brainstorm overarching categories of things that are not school, here's a start, I would like to narrow it down to 10 categories but include as many areas as possible.

art

science

foreign language

math

language arts

history

home ec

geography (will lump with history if need be)

music (will lump with art if need be)

read alouds

Two kids, voted no, science experiments are fun. Oldest voted Yes, it is school and all school is fun! (I'm a lucky Mom)

That is great!

My daughter didn't used to consider school fun.

Now, she says, "Learning is fun. I like everything but math." My son chimed in, "I don't like learning, but I like math!"

(He likes science experiments, evidently that is not part of learning.)

Well, yes and no. We do science experiments for school sometimes, and so they consider them school...but they also consider them fun and it's one of their favorite parts OF school. And if we had science experiment kits and whatnot that weren't part of our curriculum but just there to do on the side for fun, they'd be perfectly happy with that, too.