Menu

Update on toddler's teeth...

Thanks for all your posts re: my toddler's rotting front teeth. We took him to the ped dentist this morning and of course they thought he had been using a bottle at night. I said, no, just a sippy cup...same thing though. So, bad mom, I know. The dentist said it was pretty bad but he would like to try and use a super-concentrated fluoride treatment and try to prevent further deterioration until ds2 is a bit older and can sit for treatment. The other option would be general anesthesia in the hospital. :001_huh: So, we opted for waiting it out. He will have to be seen monthly for monitoring and we have to put the fluoride paste on his teeth 2x/day. Please pray that this can do the trick until he is older and can sit for treatment. Thanks.

Just to give you another perspective, my dd had dental work done under general anesthesia when she was older than your son. She had been traumatized by a dentist and that was the only way for her to be treated. It worked out great. I was so concerned about the anesthesia and all, but when she woke up, she was a happy camper and all the difficult work had been done. For me, I'd be concerned about large quantities of fluoride especially at such a young age when the permanent teeth are still forming. I'm not saying this to give you something else to worry about, :tongue_smilie: I just want you to know that for us, the surgery worked out very well. :)

I was very concerned about the fluoride, trust me. I am still weighing my options b/c I hate the idea of putting it on his teeth. And the general anesthesia in the hospital might be necessary anyway if the fluoride doesn't work! I'm reading about remineralization of teeth and natural options available. Can't hurt to have it monitored each month though.

• 4 weeks later...

Good for you for going the remineralization route! We are trying to heal some childhood caries for my dd3, aka the Juice-aholic and Calcium-avoider. We don't have juice in the house anymore, and she is gradually becoming more cooperative about taking the supplements and foods that will help her remineralize. It's a process...

Also, if you haven't tried it yet, we also treat with pure xylitol at night to reduce the population of Staph. mutans and fellows. Dh and I use it too, and I can say that you definitely wake up with a cleaner-feeling mouth. The studies on the dental use of xylitol are very encouraging. (Dh is a doctor, and we are very good friends with a biological dentist. These two are research fiends.)

Also, if you haven't tried it yet, we also treat with pure xylitol at night to reduce the population of Staph. mutans and fellows. Dh and I use it too, and I can say that you definitely wake up with a cleaner-feeling mouth. The studies on the dental use of xylitol are very encouraging. (Dh is a doctor, and we are very good friends with a biological dentist. These two are research fiends.)

Do you just eat a teaspoon of xylitol at night?

Just about. We ask that the kids roll it around on the surfaces of their teeth before swallowing. There are tons of xylitol products, but they usually have all sorts of crazy additives that I'd rather that my kids not ingest.

There's also MI Paste for recalcifying, but they based their product on some other research that the minerals in cheddar cheese were remineralizing teeth. We are using MI Paste, but only because dd won't tolerate cheese.

You need to get 8 to 10 grams of Xylitol per day for it to be effective (for an adult). About half that for kids. My pedi dentist told us to space it out in 4 "servings" per day so something like brush teeth with xylitol toothpaste, chew xylitol mints/gum after meals, and rinse with Xylitol mouthwash or swish Xylitol before bed.

I recently read (am still reading the book) a book called Be Your own Doctor and in it she mentions black walnut tincture to help carries and remineralization. Need to look more into it.

Just to give you another perspective' date=' my dd had dental work done under general anesthesia when she was older than your son. She had been traumatized by a dentist and that was the only way for her to be treated. It worked out great. I was so concerned about the anesthesia and all, but when she woke up, she was a happy camper and all the difficult work had been done. For me, I'd be concerned about large quantities of fluoride especially at such a young age when the permanent teeth are still forming. I'm not saying this to give you something else to worry about, :tongue_smilie: I just want you to know that for us, the surgery worked out very well. :)[/quote']

My son had dental surgery at 15 months. It went great.

On another note: He had no bottles or sippy cups at night. He had somewhere around 10 cavities and three of them needed caps... two of his teeth were barely there enough to cap them. We almost had to pull them. One of my best friends gave her kids bottles and cups at night and they didn't even go to the dentist until they were over 3 years old!

My son goes to the ped. dentist April 5 for this same reason.

I noticed he had what looked like stuck on food, only it wasn't stuck on food.

Hubby is the one that will give in and give him a sippy cup w(ith half juice/water mixed at night. I tell him only water.

I'm hoping it's not that bad but I have a feeling it is.

My son had GERD(doesn't have any problems now though)

Edited by Kristafish

My second son had the same problem. We gave him a sippy cup, and he used to carry it around the house and drink. I had no idea that that was just as bad as a bottle.

His four front teeth got rotten, and he was about 1.5 by the time I noticed it. We opted to wait it out, and he got fluoride treatment to harden the teeth (I didn't know about natural options at that time), and caps on his teeth when he was a bit older.

He's 12 now, and his permanent teeth seem fine so far.

Caries (one r) is the medical term for tooth decay.

We actually use xylitol throughout the day as a sugar substitute. We don't use that much because we don't do many sweets around here, but I figure that we are probably getting a couple of teaspoons (1 teaspoon sugar is a little more than 4 grams). Like I said, I'd rather just have the xylitol without the other stuff that is included in many xylitol products.