Menu

I feel so bad for my ds10!!!!

He begged and begged for blood testing for his allergies to see if he's outgrown anything. They took SEVEN viles of blood and he nearly passed out! But, here's his list:

Old allergies to which he's still allergic:

peanuts

ALL treenuts

New allergies:

Coconut

Sesame seeds

New tests, but not allergic:

Penicillin

Bee stings

Outgrown:

NOTHING!!!!

They didn't test for sunflower and now with the new sesame allergy, I'm nervous. Poor kid.

I'm so sorry - that's hard! Sesame is hard to avoid too. Do you follow up with skin test or check for reactions? I found the blood tests to give us a lot of false positives.

Yes. We'll do the skin tests next month to make sure. I'm hoping the sesame is a false positive. Also, he had a reaction to penicillin when he was 4, so I'm suspicious of that result. They have a skin test for it, so we'll add that to it.

Yes. We'll do the skin tests next month to make sure. I'm hoping the sesame is a false positive. Also, he had a reaction to penicillin when he was 4, so I'm suspicious of that result. They have a skin test for it, so we'll add that to it.

Hopefully sesame is a false positive or a mild allergy. I have heard it's difficult to avoid so I would guess he's had sesame at some point or other. I have a friend in my allergy group that has to avoid sesame and it's in lots of stuff - mustard stands out in my mind. Anyway - my sympathies, I know how hard it is and I feel for your son.

Hopefully sesame is a false positive or a mild allergy. I have heard it's difficult to avoid so I would guess he's had sesame at some point or other. I have a friend in my allergy group that has to avoid sesame and it's in lots of stuff - mustard stands out in my mind. Anyway - my sympathies, I know how hard it is and I feel for your son.

Really? Mustard? That's one of his favorite foods! He's never had a reaction in the past to it. He actually has food with sesame seeds on the top too.

But, he does occasionally get swollen lips out of nowhere. So, I guess we'll watch it carefully for another month and do the skin test to make sure.

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

As an FYI, when our son was diagnosed with his tree nut allergy (anaphylactic reaction - glad we had the Epi for a dairy allergy), his allergist said there were some studies in Europe suggesting that sesame may cross-react with tree nuts and told us to avoid sesame as well as a just in case. YMMV, but it may be worth researching some more.