Menu

Need reader ideas for 2nd grade boy....

ABQmom

He's 7 and 1/2 and his reading has really taken off. He had been struggling through one chapter a day in the Magic Tree House books. He's now finishing the whole book in one day! He still likes Magic Tree House, but I'm guessing that he will soon grow tired of them. Any ideas for what he might progress to next that won't frustrate him? He really likes adventure type stories.

My ds7 is reading through A to Z Mysteries before bed. He likes them and says they have good pictures, too. He likes to draw so this is important to him. There are 26 (of course) and then three newer ones that are longer. I haven't read one yet, so I don't know what they are like personally, but he likes to keep me up to date on the developments!:001_smile:

My dh ordered him some Encyclopedia Brown books and Hardy Boys, but I don't know what reading level those will be.

HTH,

Tiffany

My DS7 also liked Magic Treehouse. He recommends moving on to the following (all books he "loves")...

• A to Z mysteries (Roy)
  • The Littles (Peterson)
  • My Father's Dragon trilogy
  • The Dragonslayer's Academy series (McMullan) - 1st book is "The New Kid at School"
  • Books by Ruth Chew (e.g., Do It Youself Magic)
  • Catwings and sequels (LeGuin)
  • Magic Schoolbus Chapter books
  • Mouse and the Motorcycle (Cleary) - longer but not too hard
  • The Lighthhouse Family series (Rylant) - The Storm, The Whale, etc.
  • The Capital Kids mysteries (Peterson) - e.g., Kidnapped at the Capital
  • The Wishbone books - harder, but "worth it"
  • Flat Stanley series (Brown)
  • Boxcar Children (Warner) - "long but not hard"
  • Moongobble series (Coville) - 1st book is The Dragon of Doom, "way too funny!"

And there are a lot of nonfiction Step 4 and Step 6 books that he has read and likes.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Library trip! Let him explore all the chapter bks as well as series for that age.

Ditto! My second grade ds is currently enjoying (on his own...I didn't even know we owned the book) The Robinson Crusoe Reader,a fairly lengthy chapter book. I'm not sure who publishes it;ds has stashed it somewhere secret. He has read it through at least three times.

I use Veritas Press's reading list for grade appropriate reading books. Ds has LOVED several Boxcar Children books, as well as The Littles series. He likes the Young American versions of Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. (That's what he is reading as I type this.) Another fun book from BJU Press is Mice of the Nine Lives.

Howdy, ABQmom, it's me.:)

Some ideas:

Encyclopedia Brown series

Freddy series (Walter Brooks)

Hank the Cowdog series (I'd see if you can get one from the library on audio and let him listen to one to see if he likes it. My boys think they're a hoot!)

The Farm Mystery series by Castleberry Farms Press - My oldest has very fond memories of these books.(http://www.graceandtruthbooks.com/castleberry/default.asp_)

A little harder (maybe around or a little harder than boxcar children) is the sugar creek gang series. It's an older series, but you can get a reprint of them. The main characters are boys and they solve all sorts of mysteries. They are very Christian in nature. Ds has read through a bunch - there are 36 in all. Another mystery series that's easier is Cam Jansen.

Beth