Menu

high school science sequence

I know the traditional schedule for lab-based science classes is Biology, Chemistry, Physics. What do you do for 9th grade if you start the above sequence in 10th grade?

I doubt if my son will want to do an advanced science; more likely he will go to calculus. We are in Apologia Physical Science this year.

Would I just skip science in 9th? Or is there a topic I'm not aware of that we should cover?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joyce :)

My son studied Conceptual Physics (requiring basic Algebra only) in 9th. This was followed by AP Biology in 10th, then three science classes at the CC: Chem I & II and Microbiology. This is not necessarily a program that I recommend unless your child is science oriented. But I mention it because a number of students over here on the high school boards have either gone the AP or the Dual Enrollment route.

Many students (homeschooled or brick and mortar kids) now do a basic bio in 9th, followed by chemistry and physics. A fourth science course might be an AP version of any of these three or possibly Environmental Science (AP or not) or Geology.

Best regards,

Jane

P.S. You are welcome. :001_smile: That is from another thread.

I would not skip science in 9th grade.

Why don't you begin your sequence in 9th grade and have senior year to do AP or some more rigorous level in one science?

I have my kids begin with physics and take it from there. The will then be able to take a calculus based physics class or AP chem in 12th.

My teen did a non-traditional sequence:

9th grade: Conceptual Physical Science

10th grade: Chemistry with lab at home

11th grade: Geology (community college class, three quarters with lab)

12th grade: Environmental Science (community college class, one quarter with lab)

Regards,

Kareni

This was many moons ago but I was told I didn't have to take 4 years of science and because I went to three high schools I ended up with only 2 years of science and still got into a competitive school as a music major.

DS1 did biology in 8th, earth science at the publice school in 9th, homeschool class chemistry in 10th and that was it. He was going to take biology at the CC his senior year for dual enrollment but when we went to register all the bio classes were full except for the one night he couldn't go. Accepted at all colleges he applied to.

DS2 did a homeschool class of Apologia Physical Science in 9th and is now with the same teacher taking biology. Next year he wants to take physics. He may or may not take chemistry his senior year. If a student is going into a non math/science field then 3 years of science is sufficient.

If a student is going into a non math/science field then 3 years of science is sufficient.

While this is probably true, I would be hesitant to limit my child's choices at the age of 14 by by choosing not to have him study science in 9th grade. Teenagers have been known to change their minds; a 14 y/o may not definitely know what he wants to major in.

My son studied Conceptual Physics (requiring basic Algebra only) in 9th. This was followed by AP Biology in 10th, then three science classes at the CC: Chem I & II and Microbiology. This is not necessarily a program that I recommend unless your child is science oriented. But I mention it because a number of students over here on the high school boards have either gone the AP or the Dual Enrollment route.

Many students (homeschooled or brick and mortar kids) now do a basic bio in 9th, followed by chemistry and physics. A fourth science course might be an AP version of any of these three or possibly Environmental Science (AP or not) or Geology.

Best regards,

Jane

P.S. You are welcome. :001_smile: That is from another thread.

Jane, we have Hewitt's Conceptual Physics book on hand as a resource. I was considering using it for 9th grade as we really like the book. Is this what you used?

My son is in 9th grade and I let him choose what science he wanted to focus on this year. He did 1 semester of Horticulture and is now doing a semester of Astronomy using Comins' Discovering the Universe. Next year we'll start with the required lab sciences.

My son is in 9th grade and I let him choose what science he wanted to focus on this year. He did 1 semester of Horticulture and is now doing a semester of Astronomy using Comins' Discovering the Universe. Next year we'll start with the required lab sciences.

This looks really interesting. and a nice change from a textbook.

I'd never heard of it before.

Thank you.

Thank you so much for all your responses. If any of you could provide the names of the books, publishers, etc. I'd appreciate it -and start looking into various options. I'd especially like to know what the Earth science and Astronomy books you are using.

The text we are using Cosmos (Pasachoff and Filippenko). We are also using the astronomy lectures from the Teaching Company called Understanding the Universe (Filippenko as well). It's been a great combination.

This is our plan. Dd is in 9th this year. I'm delaying physics until 12th so she can get more math behind her. I'm not sure what we will do for 11th. She would like to do a course on archeology. I'm also considering astronomy or marine biology. Have to get through next year (chemistry) first!

8th: physical

9th: biology

10th chemistry

11th:??

12th: physics