Menu

How many problems a day in Saxon?

mama27

I assign all of the lesson problems, then from the review problems, I assign all of the multiplication, all of the division, all of the fractions, all of problems from the 3 most recent lessons plus any problems relating to things she has struggled on recently (like she hates GCFs so she always gets all of those plus all of the prime number problems).

How's that for an easy solution? Of course it probably doesn't apply.

I assign all of the lesson problems, then from the review problems, I assign all of the multiplication, all of the division, all of the fractions, all of problems from the 3 most recent lessons plus any problems relating to things she has struggled on recently (like she hates GCFs so she always gets all of those plus all of the prime number problems).

How's that for an easy solution? Of course it probably doesn't apply.

Of course it applies! lol I just hadn't thought of it.

We used to do about half--I'd pick out the ones I thought she needed the most practice in--but due to a few threads on this forum, I have switched to doing all the problems. It's going very well (okay, a day or two of grumpiness on dd's part) but I can now see the value in doing all the problems. It really hones those skills.

ETA: we are in Saxon 6/5 now. When we were doing Saxon 1-3, I only had dc do the first side of the workbook page, unless they got quite a few wrong. Only then would they have to do the other side, which was only a handful of times over the 3 years.

My son, in Saxon 5/4, does all the mixed practice. He plays games, etc. for other work (multiplication, etc.).

My daughter, in Saxon 2, does one side of a worksheet and then if she is struggling with something, she'll do the similar problems on the other side. And she too plays games that reinforce math concepts.

I too used to strategically pick about half of the mixed problem set. I stopped after reading some posts here - and the one who used to do half is really grumbling - he's in 8/7 but I am seeing a definite need for him to do them all (I don't know if its the level or his hormones or what!!)

I started my daughter doing all of them and so she's had no problems getting them all done.

We usually don't do the lesson practice unless its obvious after a vouple of lessons that they don't get it.

We used to do about half--I'd pick out the ones I thought she needed the most practice in--but due to a few threads on this forum, I have switched to doing all the problems. It's going very well (okay, a day or two of grumpiness on dd's part) but I can now see the value in doing all the problems. It really hones those skills.

ETA: we are in Saxon 6/5 now. When we were doing Saxon 1-3, I only had dc do the first side of the workbook page, unless they got quite a few wrong. Only then would they have to do the other side, which was only a handful of times over the 3 years.

:iagree:

All of it. Dd is doing 5/4 and she has to do everything. Sometimes (okay, several times a week) I forget to do her time test, but she's pretty good with her math facts.

Ds does all of his Saxon 2, but I don't do most of the lessons and meeting book stuff. I always think I should do more, but he is getting it and I've got a pre-K kid that wants to read and a 1 year old. It he ever needs more help I'll give it to him, but for now... he has to make do. :blush:

You should not do only part of any one mixed practice. Do all of a particular mixed practice. Just skip mixed practices. Skip Warm Ups and Skip Facts practices. We do all the Investigations and all the Tests of course. We do essencially half of the book. This was/ is more then plenty for my mathy daughters. This is how we do it.

Day 1:

Lesson 1 and Lesson Practice

Warm Up 1

Mixed Practice 1, 1-15

Day 2: Lesson 2 and Lesson Practice

Facts Practice 2

Mixed Practice 1, 16-30

Day 3: Lesson 3 and Lesson Practice

Warm Up 3

Mixed Practice 3, 1-15

Day 4: Lesson 4 and Lesson Practice

Facts Practice 4

Mixed Practice 3, 16-30

We do all of the problems (and all of the sections). We tried doing odds one day and then evens the next, but it seemed like we might miss something important in the mixed review so we went back to doing everything. No big deal, and I feel better knowing that nothing will slip through the cracks.

All of them. There is a method to the main problem set and to skip some problems would be to skip problems of the type or those that build to the type that are on the tests (or if you skip tests-are necessary for mastery). It is just part of the system. This is why Saxon (and most curricula that use Saxon) say to plan on taking at least 1 hour a day for math. I've used Saxon 1-8/7 and they have always done all the problems. Their heads haven't exploded yet.

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

If you're doing Saxon it is extremely important to assign all of the problems. There is teaching in the problem sets in that the problems of each type get more difficult every day until the topic is covered again in more depth. If you eliminate problems, you eliminate Saxon's strength.

If you're doing Saxon it is extremely important to assign all of the problems. There is teaching in the problem sets in that the problems of each type get more difficult every day until the topic is covered again in more depth. If you eliminate problems, you eliminate Saxon's strength.

It's been prefectly fine for my DDs (Who are strong in math) to skip every other mixed practice. We don't skip problems within a set. We do all the problems in every other set. We also only do every other facts practice and warm up. You don't get holes, you don't miss anything. There's so much repetion. No problems. (DD19 went on to get an A in college algebra at community college., DD9 is getting A's on all her tests in 7/6 after doing 5/4 and 6/5 this way.)

Guest Momlovesbooks

We are doing Saxon 2 and 6/5. We do all the problems. My oldest does the drill sheet everyday, mental math, all practice, and all the real problems. I believe he is learning it so well due to all this work.

We do the drill sheet at the beginning of school and then move on to all the other subjects. I save the lesson for last as it can sometimes take him an hour and I am ready to move on with my day and be done. I teach him the lesson, look over his practice problems, and then leave him to do the rest of the mixed problems.

With Saxon2 I do the Calendar first thing and then his lesson and 1st side of the worksheet. We go on to other subjects and then come back and finish the back of the worksheet.